Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by David O. Cors » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Razor=1/3 inch thick.
1/3 Does not = PCMCIA card thickness nor REX thickness.

All the news reports are saying the next "Palm" is due with the "Code-Name"
Razor and it would have IrDa, color, etc. and be a 1/3 of an inch thick. So
let me see if I have this right...

What they are describing is actually the Palm IV which isn't code named
Razor, and is due Dec 98. Razor is a different product without color, Irda,
etc. coming in Nov 98. Somehow the news reports have this screwed since they
are describing Razor as having a Dragonball processor etc. which implies
Pilot not a Rex competitor?

Make any sense? Any chance you can itemize the supposed feature set of the
Razor vs. Palm IV. What exactly will be the feature set of a Razor?

Ok enough babbling and as always Kenny thanks for the quick responses, and
great help. You are the best representative the Pilot community has!

--
David Corsi: CSMEL-IA, CFI-AIM, AGI
A fancy way to say I am a commercial pilot.

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Paul Nev » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


:great help. You are the best representative the Pilot community has!

C'mon. He is great but calling him best is a slap in the face of the dozens
of other "best" ones. He is "one of the best".

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Mooney Driv » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00



>:great help. You are the best representative the Pilot community has!

>C'mon. He is great but calling him best is a slap in the face of the dozens
>of other "best" ones. He is "one of the best".

Well your right about one thing..........Kenny is in fact GREAT!!!!  But lets
not forget about the many others who substantially contribute to this group!!!
 I personally think ALL of these folks are great!!!!!!!!

Regards.

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Kenny West; PalmPilotGear H.Q » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


OK, let's start from the beginning... And PLEASE understand the information
I am about to relay is NOT and CANNOT be verified until the actual products
are released for sale! If you call, e-mail, etc. Palm they will deny!

Razor
Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
OS will be pretty similiar to existing
Target price $150.00
Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one month
(my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

Palm IV
2 versions, different memory amounts (I have heard from 4 to 16 MB so who
knows what is accurate)
Same size as Palm III except approx 3/8" taller
Wireless built in (do not know the protocol to be used)
OS changes? Unknown..
Screen? Have heard two versions: 1 with color 1 without color
Price? Targeted at $500 to $800 depending on memory and screen
Original target ship date: October/November, pushed up AT LEAST one month
(my guess is MAYBE first of the year)
--

Regards,

Kenny West
PalmPilotGear H.Q.
"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
www.pilotgear.com


>Razor=1/3 inch thick.
>1/3 Does not = PCMCIA card thickness nor REX thickness.

>All the news reports are saying the next "Palm" is due with the "Code-Name"
>Razor and it would have IrDa, color, etc. and be a 1/3 of an inch thick. So
>let me see if I have this right...

>What they are describing is actually the Palm IV which isn't code named
>Razor, and is due Dec 98. Razor is a different product without color, Irda,
>etc. coming in Nov 98. Somehow the news reports have this screwed since
they
>are describing Razor as having a Dragonball processor etc. which implies
>Pilot not a Rex competitor?

>Make any sense? Any chance you can itemize the supposed feature set of the
>Razor vs. Palm IV. What exactly will be the feature set of a Razor?

>Ok enough babbling and as always Kenny thanks for the quick responses, and
>great help. You are the best representative the Pilot community has!

>--
>David Corsi: CSMEL-IA, CFI-AIM, AGI
>A fancy way to say I am a commercial pilot.

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Kenny West; PalmPilotGear H.Q » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Personally I vote for Claire! (thanks though!)

--

Regards,

Kenny West
PalmPilotGear H.Q.
"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
www.pilotgear.com




>>:great help. You are the best representative the Pilot community has!

>>C'mon. He is great but calling him best is a slap in the face of the
dozens
>>of other "best" ones. He is "one of the best".

>Well your right about one thing..........Kenny is in fact GREAT!!!!  But
lets
>not forget about the many others who substantially contribute to this
group!!!
> I personally think ALL of these folks are great!!!!!!!!

>Regards.

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Jack Le » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Hello Kenny:

In the below post, you say the target price for Razor will be $150.  Razor
sounds like a Palm III with improved hardware (more memory, etc).  In
every way, it will be better than all three current Palm handhelds -- yet
news reports say current PalmPilot Personals will "drop to $150".  How
does this make any sense if Razor is to be targeted as the same price ??


: Razor
: Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
: Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
: height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
: 2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
: Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
: OS will be pretty similiar to existing
: Target price $150.00
: Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one month
: (my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

--

~ http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~levyj/

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by John Haugela » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Gee, I don't want to be a poop, but, if this is right, I'm kind of
disappointed. It sounds as if they're _abandoning_ the original Pilot
niche -- producing instead something noticeably smaller and cheaper
plus something else that's larger and a lot more expensive. But what I
want is just a further improvement on what they've got. In particular,
I want:

As much screen readability as possible with maximal shirt-pocket
comfort/convenience.

So, a unit the same height and width at the current one, but quite a bit
thinner sounded great. A contrastier screen (preferably with no part of
it dedicated to silkscreen) and louder alarm would make it about perfect.
(I guess a rechargeable battery is an improvement, and IrDa backups would
be nice.) So I really liked the earlier description of the new model.

Now, _maybe_ I would like the razor as described below. Other important
things being equal, smaller and cheaper are definitely better. But if the
razor is _overall_ only the size of the current Pilot screen, then its
screen must be smaller yet. But readability is the biggest issue for me,
and it's hard to see how that wouldn't be compromised. So I'm worried.

Clarification/reassurances would be appreciated.

John


Quote:>OK, let's start from the beginning... And PLEASE understand the information
>I am about to relay is NOT and CANNOT be verified until the actual products
>are released for sale! If you call, e-mail, etc. Palm they will deny!

>Razor
>Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
>Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
>height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
>2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
>Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
>OS will be pretty similiar to existing
>Target price $150.00
>Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one month
>(my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

>Palm IV
>2 versions, different memory amounts (I have heard from 4 to 16 MB so who
>knows what is accurate)
>Same size as Palm III except approx 3/8" taller
>Wireless built in (do not know the protocol to be used)
>OS changes? Unknown..
>Screen? Have heard two versions: 1 with color 1 without color
>Price? Targeted at $500 to $800 depending on memory and screen
>Original target ship date: October/November, pushed up AT LEAST one month
>(my guess is MAYBE first of the year)
>--

>Regards,

>Kenny West
>PalmPilotGear H.Q.
>"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
>www.pilotgear.com

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Manish J. Bha » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00



|Gee, I don't want to be a poop, but, if this is right, I'm kind of
|disappointed. It sounds as if they're _abandoning_ the original Pilot
|niche -- producing instead something noticeably smaller and cheaper
|plus something else that's larger and a lot more expensive. But what I
|want is just a further improvement on what they've got. In particular,
|I want:

[...]

|Clarification/reassurances would be appreciated.
|
|John

John, just to clarify things, everything is going to be all right.

Manish

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by bearp » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00



>In the below post, you say the target price for Razor will be $150.  Razor
>sounds like a Palm III with improved hardware (more memory, etc).  In
>every way, it will be better than all three current Palm handhelds -- yet
>news reports say current PalmPilot Personals will "drop to $150".  How
>does this make any sense if Razor is to be targeted as the same price ??

Timing, probably.  I haven't seen the reports about the Palm Personal
price drop, but no doubt it will happen *before* the release of Razor.  

So the folks who don't happen to spend time keeping current on Palm-
related rumors will buy up the Personals ... and 3Com ends up with money
in the bank when they release the Razor, rather than warehouses full of
obsolete Palm Personals.  Watch for significant price drops this fall
on the Pro and III as well, I'd guess.

(I'm actually a little surprised that Personals are still being sold --
I haven't seen anything other than the Pro and the III lately, and the
3Com web site only talks about the latter two ...)

Bearpaw,
who's saving up his pennies for the first Palm with built-in wireless
digital connectivity ...

--

"The future's already arrived; it's just not evenly distributed yet."
  - William Gibson

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Dean Schanze » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Okay, Kenny. Here is my interpretation.

Razor - An Executive, (rather than geek or worker) sized product, with
limited physical upward mobility. Probably will have a migration OS, see
below.

Palm IV - A transformed product bringing wireless capabilities for input and
syncing. Also including the much requested new screen, mega-storage and
later, color. This will accommodate a larger OS which will provide
relational programs, rather than the current flat databases. This should be
a great leap forward, if they maintain Jeffrey's original concept of quick
access. Execs can buy both if they're impatient. Guess I will as I've
bypassed the PIII.

Well Kenny. Am I close, or is this just a dream?
--
Non illegitimi carborundum est
Dean J. Schanzel


Quote:>OK, let's start from the beginning...
>Razor
>Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
>Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
>(my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

>Palm IV
>2 versions, different memory amounts (I have heard from 4 to 16 MB so who
>knows what is accurate)
>Kenny West
>PalmPilotGear H.Q.
>"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
>www.pilotgear.com

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Kenny West; PalmPilotGear H.Q » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


That is what I meant to point out.. Some of the other sites info has been
erroneous.. Heck, the Personal was dropped months ago!

--

Regards,

Kenny West
PalmPilotGear H.Q.
"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
www.pilotgear.com


>Hello Kenny:

>In the below post, you say the target price for Razor will be $150.  Razor
>sounds like a Palm III with improved hardware (more memory, etc).  In
>every way, it will be better than all three current Palm handhelds -- yet
>news reports say current PalmPilot Personals will "drop to $150".  How
>does this make any sense if Razor is to be targeted as the same price ??


>: Razor
>: Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
>: Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
>: height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
>: 2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
>: Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
>: OS will be pretty similiar to existing
>: Target price $150.00
>: Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one
month
>: (my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

>--

>~ http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~levyj/

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Terry Sponsle » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Some reports say there will be inproved HWR.  Can you speak (or speculate)
to this rumor?  I hope they will do something like the PalmPCs with JotPro.
JotPro on the E-10 has a few features that I would like to see on the new
Pilots:
-  full screen entry with the option to get rid of the input area
-  word guessing as you enter letters (this is very nice)

Also, any word on the screen resolution?  Will the standard apps show 4 or
16 shades of gray (or color)?

Thanks Kenny!


>That is what I meant to point out.. Some of the other sites info has been
>erroneous.. Heck, the Personal was dropped months ago!

>--

>Regards,

>Kenny West
>PalmPilotGear H.Q.
>"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
>www.pilotgear.com


>>Hello Kenny:

>>In the below post, you say the target price for Razor will be $150.  Razor
>>sounds like a Palm III with improved hardware (more memory, etc).  In
>>every way, it will be better than all three current Palm handhelds -- yet
>>news reports say current PalmPilot Personals will "drop to $150".  How
>>does this make any sense if Razor is to be targeted as the same price ??


>>: Razor
>>: Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick ones)
>>: Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
>>: height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
>>: 2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
>>: Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
>>: OS will be pretty similiar to existing
>>: Target price $150.00
>>: Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one
>month
>>: (my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

>>--

>>~ http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~levyj/

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by Kenny West; PalmPilotGear H.Q » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00


Sorry, I do not have any of the specific details...

--

Regards,

Kenny West
PalmPilotGear H.Q.
"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
www.pilotgear.com


>Some reports say there will be inproved HWR.  Can you speak (or speculate)
>to this rumor?  I hope they will do something like the PalmPCs with JotPro.
>JotPro on the E-10 has a few features that I would like to see on the new
>Pilots:
>-  full screen entry with the option to get rid of the input area
>-  word guessing as you enter letters (this is very nice)

>Also, any word on the screen resolution?  Will the standard apps show 4 or
>16 shades of gray (or color)?

>Thanks Kenny!


>>That is what I meant to point out.. Some of the other sites info has been
>>erroneous.. Heck, the Personal was dropped months ago!

>>--

>>Regards,

>>Kenny West
>>PalmPilotGear H.Q.
>>"The Headquarters for PalmPilot & Palm III Software, Accessories & News!"
>>www.pilotgear.com


>>>Hello Kenny:

>>>In the below post, you say the target price for Razor will be $150.
Razor
>>>sounds like a Palm III with improved hardware (more memory, etc).  In
>>>every way, it will be better than all three current Palm handhelds -- yet
>>>news reports say current PalmPilot Personals will "drop to $150".  How
>>>does this make any sense if Razor is to be targeted as the same price ??


>>>: Razor
>>>: Approx same thickness as a PCMCIA type 2 card (you know, the thick
ones)
>>>: Lithium Ion rechargeable battery
>>>: height and width approx same size as existing Palm III screen
>>>: 2 MB memory, 2 MB ROM/Flash
>>>: Color? I doubt it and my sources say no.
>>>: OS will be pretty similiar to existing
>>>: Target price $150.00
>>>: Original target ship date: September/October, pushed up AT LEAST one
>>month
>>>: (my guess is MAYBE first of the year)

>>>--

>>>~ http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~levyj/

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by EXCHANGE:FITZ2:8M » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00


My guess for the wireless connectivity would be CDMA.  3COM/Palm and
Qualcomm, the patent holders for CDMA, announced they'd be working
together back in February of this year:

http://palmpilot.3com.com/pr/qualcomm.html

Kevin Chapman
Nortel


Quote:

 (snip)
> Palm IV
 (snip)
> Wireless built in (do not know the protocol to be used)

 
 
 

Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

Post by bearp » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>My guess for the wireless connectivity would be CDMA.  3COM/Palm and
>Qualcomm, the patent holders for CDMA, announced they'd be working
>together back in February of this year:

>http://palmpilot.3com.com/pr/qualcomm.html

True, but Symbian is a possibility as well.  

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/1998/27/ns-4948.html

Note that this is not necessarily contradictory -- the licensing
agreement with Qualcom means that they can incorporate the Palm platform
into their phones, while 3Com could decide to use Symbian technology in
its own devices.

Bearpaw

--

Educate yourself.  Ask questions.  Listen.  Think.  Act.
Repeat as necessary.

 
 
 

1. Kenny West: Razor VS. Palm Question

Kenny, I know in a previous post you mentioned that the "Razor is a whole
new product NOT the Palm IV which is due in December (as opposed to the
Razor which is due in November.)" Here are my questions:

The Razor is 1/3 of an inch thin, has "better handwriting" recognition, a
better screen, true IrDA, 4 Megs RAM, and a Lithium Ion battery. The top end
which is supposed to retail under $500 has a color screen.

1) Is the Razor a PDA? What this seemed to describe is a next generation
Palm... what is the difference between the two "lines" therefore in
ideology? There HAS to be a reason!

2) What is the Palm IV going to be like vs. the Razor?

David Corsi: CSMEL-IA, CFI-AIM, AGI
A fancy way to say I am a commercial pilot.

2. FS: MSX Yamaha Music Computer CX5MII/128.

3. Palm III in Rhinopak 2000 - makes sense?

4. INES has a virus.

5. Heeeere comes the 'PalmV' (AKA 'Razor') !

6. No Objects in Explorer Folder until Refresh

7. Datebook doesn't show 'no time' events.

8. Wanted! 040 cpu card for 4000 v3.1 or warp!

9. In LaunchPad v1.1, 'Off-and-lock' doesn't?

10. Importing csv's, making pdb's appear

11. In search of a desktop app that makes use of softtrack info

12. Visor Sync's But Data Doesn't change

13. Sync'ed content taking up space, doesn't appear in datebook!