1. IrDa Sync: 3COM IR Update is all you need (here's how)
I don't know how many folks already found out about this before, but it
is very easy to use an IrDA compatible laptop for infrared hotsync
WITHOUT IBM's "IRSync" or ISComplete's "IRSyncPlus" software.
All you need is 3COM's "Enhanced Infrared Update".
The 3COM readme file for the Oct-19-1998 version explicitly says that
"No, HotSync via IR is not supported with this release", but that is NOT
Here's what I did...
- Install the Enhanced IrDa update from the 3COM
website on the IR capable PalmPilot.
(In my case, a German Palm3. I also have the
3.02 update installed, but I doubt that this has
an impact on the issue described here.)
- Install the Palm Desktop software on the laptop
(In my case, a Toshiba Libretto 50 running a
- Install IrDa support for Windows 95.
(Use "Hardware" in system control, tell it not to
search for new devices and then choose infrared.)
- Make sure that the IrDa support adds an IrDa serial
port on COM4.
- Set the hotsync preferences to COM4.
- In the Palm's preferences, set Serial/IR to
- Turn off "receive" on the Palm device (otherwise,
the Palm always enters "beam receive" mode when
in reach of an IrDa signal, which is an irritating
- Start the "Hotsync" applicaton on the Palm.
- Tap the "Local Hotsync" symbol on the Palm's
screen. It will now start a serial hotsync,
but serial communcation has been redirect to
the IR port.
- The Palm now tries to connect to the PC.
Point the IR port to the laptop's IrDa port.
- That's it. It just works.
I wonder why 3COM claims that the IR update does not allow to do an
infrared hotsync. Mine did. Any ideas?
2. ***** FRE INTERNET ****
3. IR hotsync Qs
4. Ethernet over Cable Trials?
5. OmniSky for Visor - IR Modem Link with PowerBook?
6. Stunts in Extra300
7. Palm/Visor IR Link to Nokia 6210
8. The Party 1993 invitation
9. visor <--> palm v/palmIIIx IR LINK
10. PalmDeskTop 4 doesn't update Visor Hotsync to enable IR
11. To All Visors!!!! regarding to IR Enhance Update
12. Palm IR to Palm IR via IP using desktop(s)
13. Palm IR interface with Ericsson cellular IR modem?