Visor Q, IR Link or 3Com IR update???

Post by Osaris Onlin » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

I managed to get IR link working ages ago, but it timed out (only used it
twice), but as I don't use it often (maybe once a month) I don't really want
to fork out the money for it, I'd rather do without, or find another way.

I have read somewhere on the NG's that someone said he had managed to get
the 3Com IrDA update working so he could use IrDA to link with his mobile
phone for use as a modem.

This is what I would like to do, so if anyone knows how to do this whithout
having to pay for IR Link, I would be most grateful.
--
Alan Colson

Osaris Online
http://osaris.virtualave.net
By users, for users.

Visor Q, IR Link or 3Com IR update???

Post by Markus Schmi » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

Alan,
you need to install the two files of the 3COM IrEnhancement beginning with
Ser*.prc on your Visor,
make a reset and you can switch in the system panel between Serial and
Infrared.
Cheers
Markus

> I managed to get IR link working ages ago, but it timed out (only used it
> twice), but as I don't use it often (maybe once a month) I don't really
want
> to fork out the money for it, I'd rather do without, or find another way.

> I have read somewhere on the NG's that someone said he had managed to get
> the 3Com IrDA update working so he could use IrDA to link with his mobile
> phone for use as a modem.

> This is what I would like to do, so if anyone knows how to do this
whithout
> having to pay for IR Link, I would be most grateful.
> --
> Alan Colson

> Osaris Online
> http://osaris.virtualave.net
> By users, for users.

1. IrDa Sync: 3COM IR Update is all you need (here's how)

Hello,

I don't know how many folks already found out about this before, but  it
is very easy to use an IrDA compatible laptop for infrared hotsync
WITHOUT IBM's "IRSync" or ISComplete's "IRSyncPlus" software.

All you need is 3COM's "Enhanced Infrared Update".
http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/irenhanc.html

The 3COM readme file for the Oct-19-1998 version explicitly says that
"No, HotSync via IR is not supported with this release", but that is NOT
TRUE.

Here's what I did...

- Install the Enhanced IrDa update from the 3COM
  website on the IR capable PalmPilot.
  (In my case, a German Palm3. I also have the
  3.02 update installed, but I doubt that this has
  an impact on the issue described here.)

- Install the Palm Desktop software on the laptop
  (In my case, a Toshiba Libretto 50 running a
  German Win95b).

- Install IrDa support for Windows 95.
  (Use "Hardware" in system control, tell it not to
  search for new devices and then choose infrared.)

- Make sure that the IrDa support adds an IrDa serial
  port on COM4.

- Set the hotsync preferences to COM4.

- In the Palm's preferences, set Serial/IR to
  "Infrared".

- Turn off "receive" on the Palm device (otherwise,
  the Palm always enters "beam receive" mode when
  in reach of an IrDa signal, which is an irritating
  behaviour).

- Start the "Hotsync" applicaton on the Palm.

- Tap the "Local Hotsync" symbol on the Palm's
  screen. It will now start a serial hotsync,
  but serial communcation has been redirect to
  the IR port.

- The Palm now tries to connect to the PC.
  Point the IR port to the laptop's IrDa port.

- That's it. It just works.

I wonder why 3COM claims that the IR update does not allow to do an
infrared hotsync. Mine did. Any ideas?

Greetings,

Hanno Mueller
http://www.hanno.com

2. ***** FRE INTERNET ****

3. IR hotsync Qs

4. Ethernet over Cable Trials?

5. OmniSky for Visor - IR Modem Link with PowerBook?

6. Stunts in Extra300

7. Palm/Visor IR Link to Nokia 6210

8. The Party 1993 invitation

9. visor <--> palm v/palmIIIx IR LINK

10. PalmDeskTop 4 doesn't update Visor Hotsync to enable IR

11. To All Visors!!!! regarding to IR Enhance Update

12. Palm IR to Palm IR via IP using desktop(s)

13. Palm IR interface with Ericsson cellular IR modem?