datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by MP » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I hear good things about datebk3 and was planning to buy it.  I went to
their web site, and found that datebk4 is to be available "in the first
quarter 2000".

Is datebk4 available anywhere?  Has anybody beta tested datebk4?  Should I
wait?  I really don't want to plunk down money now and have to pay for an
update a month or 2 later.

I just got my Vx and I am using it with the Palm Desktop.

-Paul-

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Phil Wheele » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I hear good things about datebk3 and was planning to buy it.  I went to
> their web site, and found that datebk4 is to be available "in the first
> quarter 2000".

> Is datebk4 available anywhere?  Has anybody beta tested datebk4?  Should I
> wait?  I really don't want to plunk down money now and have to pay for an
> update a month or 2 later.

The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
will be a no-cost deal.

Phil

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Gary Singleto » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > I hear good things about datebk3 and was planning to buy it.  I went to
> > their web site, and found that datebk4 is to be available "in the first
> > quarter 2000".

> > Is datebk4 available anywhere?  Has anybody beta tested datebk4?  Should
> > wait?  I really don't want to plunk down money now and have to pay for
an
> > update a month or 2 later.

> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> will be a no-cost deal.

That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
much resistance to a small upgrade fee.  IMHO the author should be able to
charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this case
DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I
realize that this would cause issues with tracking sales or whatever but it
just seems unfair for any software author or vendor (even Microsoft) to be
forced to rely on new users for a revenue stream.  I'm not speaking only of
DateBk3/4 but I'm just curious why some people are so resistant to paying
for an upgrade.  Please note that this question is not directed at Phil or
MP directly - it just happens to be in this thread.

Regards, G.S.

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by William Tanksl » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
>> will be a no-cost deal.
>That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
>much resistance to a small upgrade fee.

Where did you see this "so much resistance"?  I've seen a couple of people
posting their hopes that the upgrade would be free (a hope which I share),
and I've seen the author posting that the upgrade would be free.  Nothing
even close to "resistance", much less the uproar you seem to imply.

Quote:>IMHO the author should be able to
>charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this case
>DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I

It's not your decision to make -- it's CESD's.  I'm very happy with his
decision, and I'm glad you're not him (no offence intended ;-).

Quote:>Regards, G.S.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley, in hoc signo hack

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by MP » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Please be clear.....I don't mind paying a small upgrade fee.  I just don't
want to have to pay an upgrade fee 4 weeks after buying the original
software!

> >> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> >> will be a no-cost deal.

> >That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
> >much resistance to a small upgrade fee.

> Where did you see this "so much resistance"?  I've seen a couple of people
> posting their hopes that the upgrade would be free (a hope which I share),
> and I've seen the author posting that the upgrade would be free.  Nothing
> even close to "resistance", much less the uproar you seem to imply.

> >IMHO the author should be able to
> >charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this
case
> >DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I

> It's not your decision to make -- it's CESD's.  I'm very happy with his
> decision, and I'm glad you're not him (no offence intended ;-).

> >Regards, G.S.

> --
> -William "Billy" Tanksley, in hoc signo hack

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by C. E. Steuart Dew » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> > I hear good things about datebk3 and was planning to buy it.  I went to
> > their web site, and found that datebk4 is to be available "in the first
> > quarter 2000".

> > Is datebk4 available anywhere?  Has anybody beta tested datebk4?  Should I
> > wait?  I really don't want to plunk down money now and have to pay for an
> > update a month or 2 later.

> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> will be a no-cost deal.

Ok, just so there is no misunderstanding here, I will re-iterate what I
have been saying on this subject:

My current intent is to allow existing, registered Datebk3 users to
upgrade to Datebk4 at no cost, PROVIDED that they can use an automated
upgrade system. This will require those users to download a form from my
website and fill it in with their hotsyncName, email address and possibly
some other information in order for me to uniquely identify the
individual in the master registration database. If they can do that, they
will be able to upgrade at no charge. If they are not able to do that,
then they may be required to pay an upgrade fee. Note that the criteria
is the ability to use the automated system, not that the person is a
registered Datebk3 user.

Datebk3 has become so popular, that even though the number of registered
users who are not able to use the automated system may be small
percentage-wise, it will still represent a huge number of people that
require individual attention to provide the upgrade, and so I feel it
would be appropriate to charge a small upgrade fee for this service.

But this is just my "current intent" - ok? I do reserve the right to
change my mind, and I will be quite open and tell you that the reason
that I even released the above information was to solicit some feedback
on this. So far, everyone I have talked to agrees that this is a fair
proposal, so the likelihood of it becoming a reality is good.

--
  ____
 / ___)

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Gary Singleto » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> >> will be a no-cost deal.

> >That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
> >much resistance to a small upgrade fee.

> Where did you see this "so much resistance"?  I've seen a couple of people
> posting their hopes that the upgrade would be free (a hope which I share),
> and I've seen the author posting that the upgrade would be free.  Nothing
> even close to "resistance", much less the uproar you seem to imply.

It just seemed like there were a number of posts complaining about the
possibility of there being a charge.  Perhaps I was mistaken or I might be
psychically tuned to DateBk3 users - probably not.

Quote:> >IMHO the author should be able to
> >charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this
case
> >DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I

> It's not your decision to make -- it's CESD's.  I'm very happy with his
> decision, and I'm glad you're not him (no offence intended ;-).

I know it's not my decision, I never implied that I was trying to advise
them hence the 'IMHO' prefacing my remarks I simply meant that _if_ the
developer did indeed determine that a small charge would be fair considering
all the work he has done he shouldn't be criticized.  I personally don't use
DateBk3 so it doesn't matter to me but (software) industry wide it seems to
me that many people seem to expect free upgrades for life.  No offense
taken, you're probably right - I would charge for bug fixes <jk>.

Cheers, G.S.

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Gary Singleto » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> >> will be a no-cost deal.

> >That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
> >much resistance to a small upgrade fee.

> Where did you see this "so much resistance"?  I've seen a couple of people
> posting their hopes that the upgrade would be free (a hope which I share),
> and I've seen the author posting that the upgrade would be free.  Nothing
> even close to "resistance", much less the uproar you seem to imply.

It just seemed like there were a number of posts complaining about the
possibility of there being a charge.  Perhaps I was mistaken or I might be
psychically tuned to DateBk3 users - probably not.

Quote:> >IMHO the author should be able to
> >charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this
case
> >DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I

> It's not your decision to make -- it's CESD's.  I'm very happy with his
> decision, and I'm glad you're not him (no offence intended ;-).

I know it's not my decision, I never implied that I was trying to advise
them hence the 'IMHO' prefacing my remarks I simply meant that _if_ the
developer did indeed determine that a small charge would be fair considering
all the work he has done he shouldn't be criticized.  I personally don't use
DateBk3 so it doesn't matter to me but (software) industry wide it seems to
me that many people seem to expect free upgrades for life.  No offense
taken, you're probably right - I would charge for bug fixes <jk>.

Cheers, G.S.

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Andrew Harmswort » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

A public email to Steuart Dewar

It is rare that I tell someone they should charge more but since you are
supporting a very worthy cause I will make this comment. (For those who
don't know, Datebk3 supports Gorilla Haven, which is described on the web
page - http://www.gorilla-haven.org/ please look)

I believe the effort you have put into Datebk3, and now, Datebk4, is
tremendously valuable. I suggest that those who have registered Datebk3 in
the last 6 month should get the free upgrade, but those of us who
registered many moons ago should pay an upgrade fee.

On this basis,some months  I considered a donation to Gorilla Haven, but
since I do not get a tax deduction in Canada (which allows me to donate
more) I made my donation to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).

Should you make the upgrade free, I will  again donate to WWF, and
encourage others who have got a significant value out of Datebk3 to do the
same.

Andrew Harmsworth

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Gary Singleto » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >> The word is that version 4 is in beta test and that upgrade fron 3 to 4
> >> will be a no-cost deal.

> >That's great but if there is so much extra functionality why is there so
> >much resistance to a small upgrade fee.

> Where did you see this "so much resistance"?  I've seen a couple of people
> posting their hopes that the upgrade would be free (a hope which I share),
> and I've seen the author posting that the upgrade would be free.  Nothing
> even close to "resistance", much less the uproar you seem to imply.

It just seemed like there were a number of posts complaining about the
possibility of there being a charge.  Perhaps I was mistaken or I might be
psychically tuned to DateBk3 users - probably not.

Quote:> >IMHO the author should be able to
> >charge for significant upgrades.  People that have purchased (in this
case
> >DateBk3) within the last six months could maybe get a free upgrade?  I

> It's not your decision to make -- it's CESD's.  I'm very happy with his
> decision, and I'm glad you're not him (no offence intended ;-).

I know it's not my decision, I never implied that I was trying to advise
them hence the 'IMHO' prefacing my remarks I simply meant that _if_ the
developer did indeed determine that a small charge would be fair considering
all the work he has done he shouldn't be criticized.  I personally don't use
DateBk3 so it doesn't matter to me but (software) industry wide it seems to
me that many people seem to expect free upgrades for life.  No offense
taken, you're probably right - I would charge for bug fixes <jk>.

Cheers, G.S.

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Jim McGui » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

SNIP

Quote:>But this is just my "current intent" - ok? I do reserve the right to
>change my mind, and I will be quite open and tell you that the reason
>that I even released the above information was to solicit some feedback
>on this. So far, everyone I have talked to agrees that this is a fair
>proposal, so the likelihood of it becoming a reality is good.

SNIP

As a delighted Datebk3 customer, I agree that it is MORE than fair.
Whatever you do, I'm very e*d at the prospect of your upcoming
release!

Keep up the great work.
Best Regards,

Jim McGuire

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Kenny Wes » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hope too everyone realizes that all proceeds Pimlico receives for sales go
directly to his non profit Gorilla Haven, http://www.veryComputer.com/

--

Regards,

Kenny West
PalmGear H.Q.
THE One Stop Source for Your Palm OS Connected Organizer!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> SNIP

> >But this is just my "current intent" - ok? I do reserve the right to
> >change my mind, and I will be quite open and tell you that the reason
> >that I even released the above information was to solicit some feedback
> >on this. So far, everyone I have talked to agrees that this is a fair
> >proposal, so the likelihood of it becoming a reality is good.

> SNIP

> As a delighted Datebk3 customer, I agree that it is MORE than fair.
> Whatever you do, I'm very e*d at the prospect of your upcoming
> release!

> Keep up the great work.
> Best Regards,

> Jim McGuire

datebk3 / datebk 4 Question

Post by Bob Pag » Tue, 11 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know what new features are in Datebook4?

Bob

> I hear good things about datebk3 and was planning to buy it.  I went to
> their web site, and found that datebk4 is to be available "in the first
> quarter 2000".

> Is datebk4 available anywhere?  Has anybody beta tested datebk4?  Should I
> wait?  I really don't want to plunk down money now and have to pay for an
> update a month or 2 later.

> I just got my Vx and I am using it with the Palm Desktop.

> -Paul-

1. datebk 5 question

I am leaving on a cruise on dec 7/03 and I want to count down the days.  I
have the appt at 4 pm on Dec 7/03.  Can I somehow use the "advance" function
to have the appt displayed daily with how many days remaining until we
sail??

...Lisa

You guys and gals are SO helpful!!  I so appreciate your help whenever I've
posted!  I seem to be doing SOMETHING every week or so to make we want to
run here and post!  Thanks!!

(I posted this querstion also in the pdbk Yahoo! Group)

2. File ATMFONTS.QLC

3. Datebk crash question

4. Internet phone for OS/2?

5. Question about Datebk 4