AvantGo vs Inforover

Post by scaudil » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello, can someone please give me the pros and cons of each. I like the
point that you can save over 200k using Inforover but what are you
sacrificing in this saving. I don't want a package that has limited use and
a limited number of channels you can be accessed.

Steve

AvantGo vs Inforover

Post by MyPilo » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You can reach everything on AvantGo with Inforover PLUS you can reach
information on your own desktop.  If you check on Plink
(http://www.mypilot.com/loband.html) you can find links to all of the
so-called Avant Go channels, that are accessible through Inforover or
Handweb.

The power of Avant Go is in its compression and image handling, not in
its web access.

MyPilot

--
Kathy Boehle
MyPilot Communications

AvantGo vs Inforover

Post by Ron Lauz » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> Hello, can someone please give me the pros and cons of each. I like the
> point that you can save over 200k using Inforover but what are you
> sacrificing in this saving. I don't want a package that has limited use and
> a limited number of channels you can be accessed.

I recently re-downloaded InfoRover to give it another shot.

It took up about the same amount of space as AvantGo after downloading
all the pages.

Personally, I thought that the Windows side application was rather
cumbersome to use compared to AvantGo.

On the Pilot side, I had some confusion as to where my web pages ended
up, but I figured that out.  I did notice two negatives about InfoRover:
1. Unlike AvangGo, links were not clearly marked.  If I wasn't very
familiar with the web pages I download, I wouldn't have known where the
links were.
2. Some pages did not display properly in InfoRover.  These were very un-
formated web pages.  Mostly text with few HTTP tokens in them.

I decided to stay with AvantGo 1.1.

             http://www.mich.com/~rlauzon/homepage.htm
DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening
      I can please only one person per day.
      Today is not your day.
      Tomorrow isn't looking good either.

AvantGo vs Inforover

Post by Sherman Wilco » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The power of Avant Go is in its compression and image handling, not in
> its web access.

Unless you have a Mac -- there is no desktop software for Info Rover on
the Mac.

There isn't for AvantGo either, but, unlike InfoRover it's possible to
it without the desktop software (if you have a modem for the Palm).

--
Sherman Wilcox
University of New Mexico

1. InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Which is better: InfoRover or AvantGo?

I've been a user of AvantGo for some time now, but I've had problems getting
it to sync just once a day.  When I set it to sync just once a day, often my
channles don't get updated at all.  This is solved by setting up the channel
to sync every time, but then the time it takes to sync can be quite long;
I'd rather just have one long sync first thing the the AM (while I'm
shaving!), then quick syncs throughout the day, if I have a need for quick
backups or too install a new app.

Will InfoRover solve this problem (it appears so upon first inspection of
the app).  My problem with InfoRover is that AvantGo has the best selection
of PDA-preconfigured channels, but they now have "hidden" the URL's to these
channels, so that I cannot setup InfoRover channels with the PDA "aware"
channels at the NY Times and Fox Sports.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Lotus SmartSuite Millenium, WordPro lotusscript problems, Is there also a SmartSuite WordPro discussion group

3. InfoRover vs AvantGo

4. Need Help with msxsl:script urgently

5. AvantGo and InfoRover question

6. Preferred Archive Formats

7. AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

8. Which is better the Adapt11 or the BotBoard???

9. AvantGo v. Inforover

10. AvantGo or InfoRover weather channels

11. Gadgeteer Reviews AvantGo and InfoRover for Palm OS

12. OS 3.5 and AvantGo/Inforover

13. Avantgo vs iSilo Web vs ??