Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Charles Perr » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a Palm IIIx running version 3.1 of the OS.  Is there a reason for me
to upgrade to version 3.3??

Charles Perry P.E.

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Doug Gordo » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Palm IIIx running version 3.1 of the OS.  Is there a reason
for me
> to upgrade to version 3.3??

> Charles Perry P.E.

The main benefit is faster HotSync -- it uses 115Kbps now. Also, some
claim that the unit is faster overall somehow, but I have not seen any
scientific benchmarks.

  Doug G

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Andrew Harmswort » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Depends on how you define speed.

I don't think the unit would benchmark faster, From the feel of it, it
seems more that the code has been optomized, especially with respect to
handling hacks and responding to input. My upgraded III just seems to
respond to stylus presses faster. Unless the benchmark can measure the
response to the stylus, it wouldn't help.

Optomizing code can make tremendous improvements in speed, and apparent
speed.

andrew harmsworth.

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Terr » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Charles,

I upgraded my Palm III to OS 3.3 and had no problems at all.  I downloaded
from the 3Com site and read all the instructions and all went well.  I did
have a few hacks that wouldn't work and some programs that needed to be
upgraded to work with 3.3.  About the only real imporvement that I can
really see is a faster HotSync time.  I understand that 3.3 will also
backup all programs, but I use Backup Buddy NG, so it doesn't make any
difference to me.

I always upgrade when I can.  May or may not be the best thing to do.

Terry

> I have a Palm IIIx running version 3.1 of the OS.  Is there a reason for
me
> to upgrade to version 3.3??

> Charles Perry P.E.

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Serge Boivi » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>  I understand that 3.3 will also
> backup all programs, but I use Backup Buddy NG, so it doesn't make any
> difference to me.

I had to do a hard reset earlier this week. I have OS 3.3 without any
other backup program. Everything was restored without any problems,
including all settings. That and the faster hotsync was really worth the
upgrade for me.
Just make sure your batteries are not near the end of their life when
you start because it takes a while for the upgrade to run.

Serge

  sboivin.vcf
< 1K Download

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Steve » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Charles,

>I understand that 3.3 will also
>backup all programs,

Actually, there was an interesting thread a little while ago, where Erwin
clarified this.  The OS 3.3 upgrade PROCESS backs up all programs, but as
time goes by and you install new apps, etc., you'll see OS 3.3 doesn't make
sure they get backed up.

Regards
Steve T

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Mark Messinge » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded to OS 3.3 with no problems. It does seem to hotsync faster.
Hidden downside, though, if you are using FlashPro to access Flash
memory: There's less of that Flashable memory with OS 3.3.

--
-----
For valid e-mail address, remove "*" and "+" signs

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Mark Moshe Ka » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Serge,

I also upgrade my palm III to OS 3.3 and had to do a hard reset. Only
one problem now. It won't. Dead as a doornail.

I called TS and they are shipping me a new unit. But I would love to
get this one working. Any ideas ??

Best Regards,
Mark

>--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351

>>  I understand that 3.3 will also
>> backup all programs, but I use Backup Buddy NG, so it doesn't make any
>> difference to me.

>I had to do a hard reset earlier this week. I have OS 3.3 without any
>other backup program. Everything was restored without any problems,
>including all settings. That and the faster hotsync was really worth the
>upgrade for me.
>Just make sure your batteries are not near the end of their life when
>you start because it takes a while for the upgrade to run.

>Serge
>--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351

>begin:vcard
>n:Boivin;Serge
>x-mozilla-html:TRUE
>org:IBM Canada Lab;DB2 Universal Database
>adr:;;;Toronto;Ontario;;Canada
>version:2.1

>title:Software Developer
>note:...So much worth dying for... so little worth killing over...
>x-mozilla-cpt:;0
>fn:Serge Boivin
>end:vcard

>--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351--

To Subscribe :

in either the subject or body of the message or go to
<http://www.ironclad.net.au/lists/jotd/index.html>.

Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

Post by Serge Boivi » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I wish I could help. I don't know if my hard reset was due to 3.3,
because I have been running with it for a couple of months already.

Good luck.
Serge

> Serge,

> I also upgrade my palm III to OS 3.3 and had to do a hard reset. Only
> one problem now. It won't. Dead as a doornail.

> I called TS and they are shipping me a new unit. But I would love to
> get this one working. Any ideas ??

> Best Regards,
> Mark

> >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> >--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351

> >>  I understand that 3.3 will also
> >> backup all programs, but I use Backup Buddy NG, so it doesn't make any
> >> difference to me.

> >I had to do a hard reset earlier this week. I have OS 3.3 without any
> >other backup program. Everything was restored without any problems,
> >including all settings. That and the faster hotsync was really worth the
> >upgrade for me.
> >Just make sure your batteries are not near the end of their life when
> >you start because it takes a while for the upgrade to run.

> >Serge
> >--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351

> >begin:vcard
> >n:Boivin;Serge
> >x-mozilla-html:TRUE
> >org:IBM Canada Lab;DB2 Universal Database
> >adr:;;;Toronto;Ontario;;Canada
> >version:2.1

> >title:Software Developer
> >note:...So much worth dying for... so little worth killing over...
> >x-mozilla-cpt:;0
> >fn:Serge Boivin
> >end:vcard

> >--------------068DD8BAE77FF564FF0C4351--

> To Subscribe :

> in either the subject or body of the message or go to
> <http://www.ironclad.net.au/lists/jotd/index.html>.

  sboivin.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Screen flicker on IIIx after upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3

I just upgraded my Palm IIIx from PalmOS 3.1 to 3.3.
No problems encountered during the upgrade process.

Now my Palm exhibits really bad screen flicker at all times. This makes
working with the unit very difficult. The unit showed no flicker under
PalmOS 3.1.

Are there any known fixes for this behavior or do I need to revert to PalmOS
3.1?

I have searched the newsgroups and www.palm.com with no success.

Cheers,
Phil.

2. Server Migration

3. upgrading Palm V 3.1 to 3.3 on a Mac

4. contour area - help please

5. Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

6. advice on lexing/parsing split (novice)

7. OS 3.1 vs. 3.3 -- worth upgrading IIIe?

8. Installing Dos 6.0 - wrong size disks

9. Avantgo 3.1 Fatal Exception, OS 3.3

10. Is OS 3.3 faster than OS 3.1?

11. Reflash any OS (3.0/3.1/3.3 _AND_ 3.5) in any language

12. PalmOS 4.1 upgrade CD and USR PalmPilot Pro with 2mb OS 3.3 upgrade card...

13. OS 3.5 Upgrade Installs Desktop 3.1!!!