Touch-Sensing Pad Problems

Post by Nick Woebc » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have had my palm pilot personal edition for about a month
and have noticed a relatively sudden and prominent difficulty
with the touch-sensing pad for the alphabet side of the
graffitti box.  I noticed when I wrote an "a" it appeared in the
application as an "h".  When I wrote an "s" it appeared as
a "z".

My friend suggested that I download a shareware application
which displayed the characters on the screen as you write them.
A type of WYSIWYG feature that can be helpful to people that
are just learning graffitti.  I did some surfing and found
a utility called Tealecho which ran under the Hackmaster
application.

Tealecho showed me that the "a" that I wrote with the stylus
every now and then had a line coming out of the left-hand
corner, which made it look like an "h".  This imaginary line
screwed up a lot of characters so that half the time
I have to write, delete, and write again until the desired
letter appears.

Anyway, 3Com was very helpful on the phone and I'm going to
mail in the pilot so they can fix it (since it seems like
a hardware problem).  I was just wondering if anyone has
had this problem?

-- Nick
+------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

| Woburn, MA 01801             |                                     |
| Eliminate Corporate Welfare, Regain Free Speech & Accountability:  |
|      U.S. Government   -   Big Campaign $$$   ~=   Democracy       |

Touch-Sensing Pad Problems

Post by Bob Jenn » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

[...]

: +------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

: | Woburn, MA 01801             |                                     |
: +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Eliminate Corporate Welfare, Regain Free Speech & Accountability:  |
: |      U.S. Government   -   Big Campaign $$$   ~=   Democracy       |
: +--------------------------------------------------------------------+

very yes.

--

Touch-Sensing Pad Problems

Post by Eric Moor » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Yes,

I have the exact same problem,  I called 3Com, and the support rep
suggested I trying reseating the memory.  That did not work.  I will call
3Com again tomorrow.

Eric

> : I have had my palm pilot personal edition for about a month
> : and have noticed a relatively sudden and prominent difficulty
> : with the touch-sensing pad for the alphabet side of the
> : graffitti box.  I noticed when I wrote an "a" it appeared in the
> : application as an "h".  When I wrote an "s" it appeared as
> : a "z".

> : Tealecho showed me that the "a" that I wrote with the stylus
> : every now and then had a line coming out of the left-hand
> : corner, which made it look like an "h".  This imaginary line
> : screwed up a lot of characters so that half the time
> : I have to write, delete, and write again until the desired
> : letter appears.

> SNIP
> : Anyway, 3Com was very helpful on the phone and I'm going to
> : mail in the pilot so they can fix it (since it seems like
> : a hardware problem).  I was just wondering if anyone has
> : had this problem?

> : -- Nick

1. Graffiti Accuracy and Touch Pad Anomalies?

I was having a lot of trouble with Graffiti, so I decided to switch
handwriting applications.

 I downloaded JOT.  JOT has a feature that allows you to see the stroke
before it's recognized.  Lo and behold, the stroke I entered and the stroke
sent to the recognition engine were different nearly 5% of the time.  In
particular, the displayed stoke often originated near the upper right corner
of the letter area regardless of the physical stroke origination point.

This false stroke starting point produced 'f' for 'i' and 'c' for 'space'
and 'f' for 'caps' and many other fun letters.  When I used the display
screen for Graffiti entry, all these problems disappeared.  I've no idea how
rare this defect is, but I think it's worthwhile checking the entry pad
before switching handwriting apps.

Gary Greene

2. Picons Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

3. Touch pad "jitter"

4. Floppy programming: 128Byte/Sector doesn`t work! (where are the hardware gurus ?)

5. My new IIIxe: touch screen problem

6. alright, which is the best one dammit!?! ;-)

7. Palm III problem - screen "loses touch"

8. Anyone use USRobotics modems with VOS??

9. Problem: Pilot won't respond to pen touches ANYWHERE!

10. Anybody have problems with ONE-TOUCH in FLASH (via FlasbuilderIII)?

11. Palm lll touch screen problem

12. Touch Screen problem. Help?

13. Hot Sync problem with memo pad