Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

Post by Dror » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi
I would like to know if it possible to upgrade OS in the Palm III (Not X or
e).
which palms can be upgraded?
what are the advantages by upgrading? does it matter at all?

Thanks

Dror

Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

Post by Steve » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Yes, you can upgrade the Palm III to OS 3.3... click on "support" on the
www.palm.com webpage for a download for that machine.

It gives you native IR synching, but that's not any use if your PC doesn't
have an IR port.  It also gives faster hotsync and I'm seeing a performance
improvement (speedier) in the Palm itself on my IIIx.

Regards
Steve T

>Hi
>I would like to know if it possible to upgrade OS in the Palm III (Not X or
>e).
>which palms can be upgraded?
>what are the advantages by upgrading? does it matter at all?

>Thanks

>Dror

Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

Post by JuStin T » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

yes u can =)

Can Palm Os 3.1 can Upgraded to 3.3 on Palm III?

Post by Terr » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Dror,

I upgraded my Palm III to OS 3.3 with no problems.  Make sure you read the
instructions on the 3Com site before you upgrade and it will save you a
lot of problems.  You may need to make a few adjustments to some of your
programs before you upgrade.  Go to

   http://www.palm.com/custsupp/upgrade/

You can upgrade from here with all the instructions and manual if you want.

Terry

> Hi
> I would like to know if it possible to upgrade OS in the Palm III (Not X
or
> e).
> which palms can be upgraded?
> what are the advantages by upgrading? does it matter at all?

> Thanks

> Dror

1. OS 3.1 vs. 3.3 -- worth upgrading IIIe?

Greetings piloteers!

I've got a IIIe which is starting to burst at the seams (it's amazing
how much more data one finds oneself carrying and creating one has a
keyboard). So, I need more memory.

I considered getting a IIIxe, what with the rebate on and all, and can
actually do so reasonably cheaply if I take into account the
ridiculously high prices a IIIe can get on eBay. However, I've found a
few places that will just upgrade the IIIe to 8mb, and I find that
much more attractive considering it's around the same price if not
cheaper, and it's just a matter of sending my Palm off and then
getting it back, without the hassle of buying, collecting rebates, and
selling. Plus, I prefer gray cases to black, and the little guy's like
family now. :-)

One of the folks that will upgrade the IIIe to 8mb will also replace
the non-flashable ROM with a flashable one. I'm not sure if it's worth
the trouble or not, and thence my question: Will I see any gains from
having flash and being able to run OS 3.3 or 3.5 that'd make the extra
work and $50 or so worthwhile? It's currently a question of either
getting flash, or getting a translucent case, my remark about gray
notwithstanding. :-)

  -Rich

--
Rich Lafferty ----------------------------------------
 Nocturnal Aviation Division, IITS Computing Services

2. Direct Client requirement Microsoft .Net Developer @ Eagan, MN (Local or Nearby States)

3. WinCE Palm emulator canned

4. Odd choice of source - ntp-4.0.90d

5. Is OS 3.3 faster than OS 3.1?

6. Money assigning Wrong payee

7. upgrading Palm V 3.1 to 3.3 on a Mac

8. Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3????

9. Screen flicker on IIIx after upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3

10. Avantgo 3.1 Fatal Exception, OS 3.3

11. Reflash any OS (3.0/3.1/3.3 _AND_ 3.5) in any language

12. Verticle lines on Palm III after OS upgrade to 3.3