InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Post by CCC » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Which is better: InfoRover or AvantGo?

I've been a user of AvantGo for some time now, but I've had problems getting
it to sync just once a day.  When I set it to sync just once a day, often my
channles don't get updated at all.  This is solved by setting up the channel
to sync every time, but then the time it takes to sync can be quite long;
I'd rather just have one long sync first thing the the AM (while I'm
shaving!), then quick syncs throughout the day, if I have a need for quick
backups or too install a new app.

Will InfoRover solve this problem (it appears so upon first inspection of
the app).  My problem with InfoRover is that AvantGo has the best selection
of PDA-preconfigured channels, but they now have "hidden" the URL's to these
channels, so that I cannot setup InfoRover channels with the PDA "aware"
channels at the NY Times and Fox Sports.  Anyone have any suggestions?

InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Post by spam » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

I prefered Avantgo but the size of the program is too big....
Switched to iSiloweb which is good but Sitescooper is far more
flexible if you like to tinker....

BTW, I emailed Wired about the location of their Avantgo files and
they were happy  to  tell me - try it with NY Times and Fox Sports
cheers
Tony

Quote:>Which is better: InfoRover or AvantGo?

>I've been a user of AvantGo for some time now, but I've had problems getting
>it to sync just once a day.  When I set it to sync just once a day, often my
>channles don't get updated at all.  This is solved by setting up the channel
>to sync every time, but then the time it takes to sync can be quite long;
>I'd rather just have one long sync first thing the the AM (while I'm
>shaving!), then quick syncs throughout the day, if I have a need for quick
>backups or too install a new app.

>Will InfoRover solve this problem (it appears so upon first inspection of
>the app).  My problem with InfoRover is that AvantGo has the best selection
>of PDA-preconfigured channels, but they now have "hidden" the URL's to these
>channels, so that I cannot setup InfoRover channels with the PDA "aware"
>channels at the NY Times and Fox Sports.  Anyone have any suggestions?

InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Post by MyPilo » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Here is the complete list of good sites from Plink.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~blumax/plink.html

MyPilot
Buy Palm Vx Now!
http://www.mypilot.com/palmvx.html

> I prefered Avantgo but the size of the program is too big....
> Switched to iSiloweb which is good but Sitescooper is far more
> flexible if you like to tinker....

> BTW, I emailed Wired about the location of their Avantgo files and
> they were happy  to  tell me - try it with NY Times and Fox Sports
> cheers
> Tony

> >Which is better: InfoRover or AvantGo?

> >I've been a user of AvantGo for some time now, but I've had problems getting
> >it to sync just once a day.  When I set it to sync just once a day, often my
> >channles don't get updated at all.  This is solved by setting up the channel
> >to sync every time, but then the time it takes to sync can be quite long;
> >I'd rather just have one long sync first thing the the AM (while I'm
> >shaving!), then quick syncs throughout the day, if I have a need for quick
> >backups or too install a new app.

> >Will InfoRover solve this problem (it appears so upon first inspection of
> >the app).  My problem with InfoRover is that AvantGo has the best selection
> >of PDA-preconfigured channels, but they now have "hidden" the URL's to these
> >channels, so that I cannot setup InfoRover channels with the PDA "aware"
> >channels at the NY Times and Fox Sports.  Anyone have any suggestions?

InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Post by spam » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Thanks for that, I had completely forgotten about it.
Tony

Post by Allyn Wea » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

> I prefered Avantgo but the size of the program is too big....
> Switched to iSiloweb which is good but Sitescooper is far more
> flexible if you like to tinker....

I second the sitescooper <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
recommendation.  It doesn't really take all that much tinkering, and you
aren't dependent on a site tailoring itself to a particular program--you
can use sitescooper with many normal sites, and it will trim out the
garbage.  Better, it works on the mac (with a *y bit of tinkering).
Justin Mason, the author, and others on the support mailing list (notably
Andrew Fletcher for getting it running on the mac) have been very
responsive to my questions--much better support than most commercial
software.  Oh yes, sitescooper is free, with source available because it's
written in perl.

Sitecooper runs entirely on your main computer (uses no pilot memory), and
generates either html files or text, which on unix and windoze can be
converted on the fly into isilo or Doc formats.  (The conversions can be
done on the fly on the mac if you run it under MPW, otherwise, just run
the MakeDoc or iSilo converters, or drop the text files onto Palm Buddy
and let it do the Doc conversion as it instals the files.)

I've only had sitescooper for a few days, and I'm already contemplating an
8 meg upgrade to hold all the stuff I can now squirt onto my pilot. (Of
course, I'll also need a length-of-day upgrade, so there's time to read it
all.  Anyone know where I can find one?)
--

Pacific NW Native Plant Gardening: http://www.veryComputer.com/~allyn/natives/
My email address is in WA State.  If you don't want to pay me the

InfoRover vs. AvantGo

Post by Lawrence Cha » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Thanks so much. Do u know any other good sites which also summarizes all easy
format for Palm?

Many thanks.

> Here is the complete list of good sites from Plink.

> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~blumax/plink.html

> MyPilot
> Buy Palm Vx Now!--

** I have a Homepage NOW!! Pls visit: http://law2.i.am or http://i.am/law2.

   //\\\
   ^.^

Lawrence Chan

Homepage: http://i.am/law2
Reach me Direct by: http://sms.smartone.com.hk/pub/public-index.htm
Type in my the no. 97352520 there.
'Jesus is my Lord.
Palm is top PDA.
WAP is Hot Hit in 2000.
MPeg 4 is Future 3G Mobile movie.'

1. InfoRover vs AvantGo

Hi all, I just came across a software called InfoRover from Pendragon
Software http://www.inforover.com/index.html

and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I've tried
AvantGo but dun quite like it cuz of its size, and its inability to schedule
download of websites (currently, it downloads webpages everytime you hotsync
and on a slow connection, this can take ages! On top of that, if you, like
me hotsync a couple of times a day, it can be a huge battery drain.)

Cheers
Sidney

2. Question: COMMAND.COM fix on comp.binaries.os2

3. AvantGo vs Inforover

4. Unable to add fonts in Windows

5. AvantGo and InfoRover question

6. HELP!! X.25 > PPP Protoc

7. AvantGo and InfoRover for Offline-Web-Browsing

8. Specs. for stutter dial tone?

9. AvantGo v. Inforover

10. AvantGo or InfoRover weather channels

11. Gadgeteer Reviews AvantGo and InfoRover for Palm OS

12. OS 3.5 and AvantGo/Inforover

13. Avantgo vs iSilo Web vs ??