IR Hotsync / Windows 2000 troubles

Post by Paulo J.P-Bra » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:47:40

I do need help.
I used to hotsync with my Toshiba 7140CT notebook using IR, until I
had to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro and everything else recently.

I then began to get a message from HotSync Manager everytime it starts
saying "Error accessing the IR port. See the //Helpnote//IR_Readme.txt
for more information".
Well, that path doesn't exist in my documentation and Palm support
simply ignores me "it's a Windows problem"; Microsoft support tried to
be helpful but only gave me some Knowledge Base docs that didn't solve
the problem.
It seems that the difficult resides in the necessity to associate IRDa
with a serial port and I don't see how to do that (and don't know how
it was achieved earlier).
I think everything was done right, including installing all Toshiba
Windows 2000 specific drivers in the correct order according to the
instructions on their site.
Incidentally, serial hotsync is OK, even when done through the
USB-serial adapter.

Paulo Braga

IR Hotsync / Windows 2000 troubles

Post by dr.emailposte » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:54:03

Have you opened your control panel, wireless link, Image Transfer tab, and
unchecked "Use  wireless link to transfer images"?

After this, restart your computer and try again.

> I do need help.
> I used to hotsync with my Toshiba 7140CT notebook using IR, until I
> had to reinstall Windows 2000 Pro and everything else recently.

> I then began to get a message from HotSync Manager everytime it starts
> saying "Error accessing the IR port. See the //Helpnote//IR_Readme.txt
> for more information".
> Well, that path doesn't exist in my documentation and Palm support
> simply ignores me "it's a Windows problem"; Microsoft support tried to
> be helpful but only gave me some Knowledge Base docs that didn't solve
> the problem.
> It seems that the difficult resides in the necessity to associate IRDa
> with a serial port and I don't see how to do that (and don't know how
> it was achieved earlier).
> I think everything was done right, including installing all Toshiba
> Windows 2000 specific drivers in the correct order according to the
> instructions on their site.
> Incidentally, serial hotsync is OK, even when done through the
> USB-serial adapter.

> Paulo Braga

1. Windows 2000 & Palm Hotsync via IR

It took me about 3 weeks of on and off searching through all the
various posts to finally find this on Palm's website. So.. just in
case anyone else has the same problem.

----------------- snip -----------------
SETUP INSTRUCTIONS FOR INFRARED (IR) HOTSYNC? under Windows? 2000

To enable IR HotSync:
1. Exit the HotSync Manager application by clicking on the icon in the
Task Bar and choosing exit.
2. Click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and double click the
"Wireless Link" icon.
3. In the "Image transfer" tab, uncheck the box for "Use Wireless Link
to transfer images from a digital camera to your computer".
4. Disable any other application you use that opens the IR port.
5. Restart HotSync Manager.
6. Click on the HotSync Manager icon in the Task bar and check the
"Infrared" menu item.

You can now synchronize via IR.

To return to default settings and disable IR HotSync:
1. Click on the HotSync Manager icon in the Task bar and uncheck the
"Infrared" menu item.
2. Go to the Windows Control Panel and double click the "Wireless
Link" icon.
3. In the "Image transfer" tab, check the box for "Use Wireless Link
to transfer images from a digital camera to your computer".
----------------- snip -----------------

2. Messages in suspend queue?

3. IR HotSync with Windows 2000

4. windows cannot update our roaming profile

5. Palm Releases IR HotSync Update for Windows 2000

6. Novell SMTP Gateway

7. Hotsync via IR on Windows 2000 with Vx

8. 3com, Intel NIC's

9. Hotsync, IR and Windows 2000

10. IR Hotsync with Windows 2000 on Toshiba Portege 3440

11. Windows 2000 - IR HotSync does not work!

12. Palm Vx HotSync via Ir on Windows 2000

13. Hotsync with Windows 2000 via IR and serial