New M505 - Screen good, but too much glare!

New M505 - Screen good, but too much glare!

Post by David Morgenlende » Thu, 17 May 2001 03:07:14

I just started using my new Palm M505 for real about 1AM this morning!  I never
owned a Palm IIIc or Visor Prism;  but to me, the screen dimness is there, but
with judicial use of the sidelight it is not a problem.  I love this little fast
device!

But I do have a problem with the screen, which I haven't seen mentioned, amidst
all the other complaints ... it's VERY glarey!!!  Previously, I used a Palm III
with a WriteRight screen protector.  The screen protector really cut down
contrast, etc. & made the display tougher to read;  but a plus was that it
totally eliminated glare.  Since there's no screen protector available yet for
the M505, I just use some Scotch 811 tape on the grafitti area.  Using the M505
in my office with bright up-pointing halogen lights & a lot of outside light, a
bright monitor, etc. requires careful aiming to minimize glare.

I suspect this is NOT a defective unit.  But to be sure ... do all M505's have
this glare?  How do you deal with it?

A more minor problem ... photos displayed using PhotoSuite are really washed
out.  But I know the display is capable of better, since launcher icons look
quite nice.  I'm going to try displaying using FireViewer, once its conduit
stops crashing!  I'm also going to try to find some apps that REALLY make use of
color.  I do use Life Balance, which looks & works great in color!  (In LB,
colors are NOT washed out!  But a good game should use colors much more
dramatically, due to the nature of the apps.)

Dave Morgenlender

New M505 - Screen good, but too much glare!

Post by anthony45 » Thu, 17 May 2001 04:59:44

i guess the US v HUNGARY isnt true...but whats true tho is some models
out there are brighter and some arent... unfortunately mine is the dimmer
one

i am gonna return mine coz of the dimness..plus alarm was soo low..something
is wrong with this model..

New M505 - Screen good, but too much glare!

Post by Albert C. Le » Thu, 17 May 2001 05:23:02

I opted to buy some Palm IIIc WriteRights and cut them to fit the m505.
It isn't a perfect fit, but it'll do for the time being.  The glare has
been cut down nicely.

-Al

New M505 - Screen good, but too much glare!

Post by Paul » Thu, 17 May 2001 07:31:56

Quote:>I suspect this is NOT a defective unit.  But to be sure ... do all
>M505's have this glare?  How do you deal with it?

>icons look quite nice.  I'm going to try displaying using FireViewer,
>once its conduit stops crashing!

Unfortunately Fireviewer only supports 256 colors so you'd lose that
benefit by using it.

1. glare on screen of Palm VIIx

Is anyone bothered by the glare on their palm screen?
Does anyon know if there is a glare free replacement
glass available. Thanks?

--
Ciao,
Rich

Boston Univ. School of Medicine |       Phone No. 617-638-4512
Boston, MA 02118                |       Fax No. 617-638-4085

2. Profiling Application

3. Screen Glare A Problem!

4. help Aptiva 2153e3a

5. Screen Glare

6. Memory problems

7. Screen glare

8. WTB: Sun 3/180 or 3/280

9. Palm III screen glare reduction shhets...pheeew..

10. Screen glare, other issues

11. Protect screen & solve glare problems!

12. Visor - glare on screen!

13. Oily glare on screen