Add on for sensing technology

Post by Someon » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 06:19:55

I'm developing a simple program for counting people going in and out of a
store.  I need to find a way to interface a IR beam(not one on palm) with a
Palm.  Please Help I have been looking everywhere.  As soon as possible,
thanks.

John

Post by Walter Robers » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:06:52

:I'm developing a simple program for counting people going in and out of a
:store.  I need to find a way to interface a IR beam(not one on palm) with a
:Palm.  Please Help I have been looking everywhere.  As soon as possible,
:thanks.

Are you looking to have the external IR beam detected/monitored
by the Palm's built-in IR interface? If so, then what's the beam
frequency, and tell us about any important beam modulation
characteristics?

If you aren't looking to have the IR beam go directly to Palm's
IR interface, then tell us about the output characteristics
of the beam detector? e.g., does it have a serial interface, a
network interface, a radio interface, a plain make/break voltage line?
What are the signalling electrical constraints? What is the
signalling frequency? Does the signal have data encoded on it
[e.g., via the phase], is the signal digital, is the signal
analog, if the signal strength encodes information then what
signal resolution is needed? What is the minimum signal length that
must be detected? How rate might the signals come in at? Does the
signal strength or duration information need to be passed on to your
program, and if so at what resolution?

How are you planning to deal with people walking side-by-side or
close together? Do you have your de-bounce routine designed, so that
you can distinguish between the interruption from the torso versus
the interruption as someone's arm swings back through the beam
as they walk? What special processing will need to be done to handle
wheelchairs? Baby carriages?

Add on for sensing technology

Post by Mark » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:56:07

These people make a nice line of add-on sensors for the Palm:
  http://www.imagiworks.com/

/Mark

> I'm developing a simple program for counting people going in and out of a
> store.  I need to find a way to interface a IR beam(not one on palm) with
> Palm.  Please Help I have been looking everywhere.  As soon as possible,
> thanks.

> John

Add on for sensing technology

Post by Someon » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:59:33

1.  No the device will have no interaction will the palm IR interface.

2.  I have no idea what hardware is out there and the specifics of it.  That
was the reason for my question is to find out what I need to do and
reasearch.  I was hoping that there might be something I could buy rather
than build.  So I have no idea about electrical constraints, plain
make/break voltage line, etc.

3.  Yes there will be algorithms to deal with these issues.  But first I am
trying to solve the problem of getting the data into the palm.

Thanks for the help but I was wondering where I could find more information
about building this device.  Since it seems as that is what I'm going to
have to do.  Someone said something about hooking it up to the handshake
line.

Thanks,
John

> :I'm developing a simple program for counting people going in and out of a
> :store.  I need to find a way to interface a IR beam(not one on palm) with
> :Palm.  Please Help I have been looking everywhere.  As soon as possible,
> :thanks.

> Are you looking to have the external IR beam detected/monitored
> by the Palm's built-in IR interface? If so, then what's the beam
> frequency, and tell us about any important beam modulation
> characteristics?

> If you aren't looking to have the IR beam go directly to Palm's
> IR interface, then tell us about the output characteristics
> of the beam detector? e.g., does it have a serial interface, a
> network interface, a radio interface, a plain make/break voltage line?
> What are the signalling electrical constraints? What is the
> signalling frequency? Does the signal have data encoded on it
> [e.g., via the phase], is the signal digital, is the signal
> analog, if the signal strength encodes information then what
> signal resolution is needed? What is the minimum signal length that
> must be detected? How rate might the signals come in at? Does the
> signal strength or duration information need to be passed on to your
> program, and if so at what resolution?

> How are you planning to deal with people walking side-by-side or
> close together? Do you have your de-bounce routine designed, so that
> you can distinguish between the interruption from the torso versus
> the interruption as someone's arm swings back through the beam
> as they walk? What special processing will need to be done to handle
> wheelchairs? Baby carriages?

1. Brayder Technologies Adds Support for the Palm m500/m505 to JackFlash

Brayder Technologies Adds Support for the Palm m500/m505 to JackFlash

Kitchener - June 11, 2001 - Brayder Technologies Inc. announces the
release
of JackFlash 2.1, an exciting update to Brayder's innovative memory
enhancement product.

Brayder's new version of JackFlash adds support for the Palm m500 and
m505.
The new Palms are the most exciting additions to the Palm line-up yet,
and
combined with JackFlash provide the user with a very compelling handheld

solution.

This new release allows access to up to 1.7MB of extra memory on the new

Palms (471k on European versions).  Users of older Palms can still
access up
to 832k more memory.  Items moved into Flash work just as before, only
now
more memory space is available on the palm device. In addition to the
extra
memory, items stored with JackFlash, will always be accessible, even
after
an unexpected battery failure.

"We are pleased to support the new m505 and m500.  Users of these
devices
will find JackFlash an essential utility for their handheld", said Brad
Kish, president of Brayder Technologies Inc.

Pricing, Availability and Requirements

JackFlash 2.1 is available for $19.95 at www.handango.com and
www.palmgear.com. JackFlash is compatible with the Palm III, Palm IIIx,
Palm
IIIxe, Palm IIIc, Palm V, Palm Vx, Palm m500, Palm m505 and the
equivalent
IBM Workpad and Symbol devices.

About Brayder Technologies

Brayder Technologies Inc. (www.brayder.com) is an innovative provider of

software solutions for Palm devices.
JackFlash(TM) is a trademark of Brayder Technologies Inc.

2. SNES 9x team is Jealous

3. Newbie Question: How to Synch Palm V Add Bk withOE 5.0 Add Bk?

4. Telecom Archives Index - Summer, 1999

5. OS 3.5: doe it make sense to upgrade

6. S16: Hang-on

7. Kenny: Razor info still doesn't make sense

8. FS: PPC 604e 233mhz!!!!

9. Touch-Sensing Pad Problems

10. Has STYLUSplus.com lost their senses?

11. Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

12. Palm III in Rhinopak 2000 - makes sense?

13. Dare to E.V.O.L.V.E. and encourage an evolution revolution with technology