Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Mark » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

People have posted regarding homemande screen enhancements, but could
someone post the exact measurements so we can all cut them to the right
size the first time for:

Pilot
PalmPilot Pro
Palm3

I know this won't get me a free Angel case from Kenny, but IMHO those
WriteRights are pretty pricey for 12 pieces of plastic.

Thanks in advance!!!

Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Dan Hube » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I read a review of WriteRights at Go Inside (www.goinside.com) and I read
complaints of them lowering the visibility and leaving a sticky residue
behind.

Dan

Post by Claire Pieter » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>People have posted regarding homemande screen enhancements, but could
>someone post the exact measurements so we can all cut them to the right
>size the first time for:

>Pilot
>PalmPilot Pro
>Palm3

>I know this won't get me a free Angel case from Kenny, but IMHO those
>WriteRights are pretty pricey for 12 pieces of plastic.

>Thanks in advance!!!

http://www.waysoft.com/wppilot.cgi

I completely agree that WriteRights are pricey, but I've found that
the textured ones last 3-4 months each, even with heavy use.  Based on
that usage pattern, I can certainly cost justify them.

BTW, if you live in a town with a good plastics supply house, I will
give a WriteRight if you will take it to the plastics supply house,
see if they have anything comparable, and report here with your
findings.  There's got to be an analogous product out there that can
be bought relatively inexpensively by the foot and cut to fit...

--

To reply, change the 7th letter to "i"

Post by Stew Stryke » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>I completely agree that WriteRights are pricey, but I've found that
>the textured ones last 3-4 months each, even with heavy use.  Based on
>that usage pattern, I can certainly cost justify them.

Ditto.  As for the claim of a sticky residue, if you just put another
WriteRight on your screen after pulling the old one off, after it's finally
used up, you'll never notice a residue.  Actually, I haven't noticed a
residue either of the 2 times I've changed my WriteRight in the past year.
Screen seemed nice and smooth to me.  And the cost per year, at this rate,
is pretty darn low.

Quote:>BTW, if you live in a town with a good plastics supply house, I will
>give a WriteRight if you will take it to the plastics supply house,
>see if they have anything comparable, and report here with your
>findings.  There's got to be an analogous product out there that can
>be bought relatively inexpensively by the foot and cut to fit...

Ya, but it's your time worth something too?  What's the point of paying $5
for a sheet of plastic when you have to look up the correct dimensions on
the web or newsgroup and then cut it perfectly to fit, etc.  I've got better
things to do with my time.  How about you?

Stew

Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Vaughn McIlrat » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I tried the "Goo Gone" approach -- apparently any glue remover will work,
because of silicone in the mix. Just put a little on your fingertip and rub
it all over the screen, then wipe with your shirt-tail. It works.

Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Mark » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Stew

$5 should buy you 100 of those document protectors the you put in 3 ring
binders and I happen to have a bunch of them sitting around that I'm
looking to put to use.  To an underpaid Sailor, that's time well spent!
So, until Congress gives me more than a 3 percent pay increase, I guess
I'll keep on trying.  Even if I won the lottery I'd have a hard time paying
$27 for a 12 sheets of plastic.  Doesn't that sound outrageous to you????

Quote:> Ya, but it's your time worth something too?  What's the point of paying
$5
> for a sheet of plastic when you have to look up the correct dimensions on
> the web or newsgroup and then cut it perfectly to fit, etc.  I've got
better
> things to do with my time.  How about you?

Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Colin Willia » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> People have posted regarding homemande screen enhancements, but could
> someone post the exact measurements so we can all cut them to the right
> size the first time for:

> Pilot
> PalmPilot Pro
> Palm3

Well, the screen size of all of the units is the same...for some DIY
screen protector ideas including templates, why not check out the
following site:

http://www.geocities.com/~pilotatlas/tips/

Regards,

Colin.
--
/// Note, if you want to reply to this post via email
/// my actual email address = sing 'at' ibm.net

Homemade "screen enhancements"

Post by Stew Stryke » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>$5 should buy you 100 of those document protectors the you put in 3 ring
>binders and I happen to have a bunch of them sitting around that I'm
>looking to put to use.  To an underpaid Sailor, that's time well spent!
>So, until Congress gives me more than a 3 percent pay increase, I guess
>I'll keep on trying.  Even if I won the lottery I'd have a hard time paying
>$27 for a 12 sheets of plastic.  Doesn't that sound outrageous to you????

Mark,

I'm not just buying 12 sheets of plastic.  I'm buying probably 2-3 years of
screen protection.  Since I don't have to depend on Congressionally-approved
tax increases, it's worth it to me.  Though I had a few years there where
3-4 percent was the average increase, and went 18 months without one when I
was at DEC.

Yet another way to look at it, if you can affort $300 for the Pilot, you can
afford $27 to protect it properly.  If you don't have a good case for your
Pilot, let me know.  I have two spares and I'll be happy to support our
military that way.  Seriously, drop me a note if you need a case.  Might
even send a long a WriteRight too!  :-)

Stew

1. Homemade Palm plugs "a la Pfranc"

Pfranc plugs are low-priced homemade power/data plugs for Garmin GPS
units. Is there a similar initiative for Palm units? Palm cables are
expensive and those designed for units with rechargeable batteries (like
IIIc) do not generally allow recharging like the cradle does.

http://www.pfranc.com

--
Luc Le Blanc

2. Matlab and the HP100LX

3. Palm IIIx: "...or innovative enhancements"?

4. C prog for memory size

5. Hierarchical "To Do" enhancement/replacment?

6. EPM: command shell questions

7. Missing "Connection" and "Phone" Preferences after palm upgrade

8. dropdownlist in datagrid

9. change "Other" default to "Mobile"

10. Mail app that allows manually marking messages "Read" or "Unread"

11. "Action names Datebook 5.1" v "DateBk4 4.0f"

12. No "?" or "+" with M505 and OS4.0

13. "Fatal Exception" / "Fatal Error" on wake for alarm