Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Siggi Ingaso » Mon, 27 May 2002 06:16:07

Help,
        I recently upgraded my Palm Vx OS from 3.5 to 3.5.3 as it seemed
like
a good idea to have the latest OS. Unfortunately one of my programs has now
stopped working, it's called Map Companion V1.0 (which I got with my GPS
Companion), is made by Marcosoft. I've tried to delete the 3.5.3 file on the
palm, but it keeps on reappearing! Is there any way I can go back to the old
version i.e. 3.5?

Siggi

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Steve Seal » Mon, 27 May 2002 09:33:19

Quote:> Help,
>         I recently upgraded my Palm Vx OS from 3.5 to 3.5.3 as it seemed
> like
> a good idea to have the latest OS. Unfortunately one of my programs has
now
> stopped working, it's called Map Companion V1.0 (which I got with my GPS
> Companion), is made by Marcosoft. I've tried to delete the 3.5.3 file on
the
> palm, but it keeps on reappearing! Is there any way I can go back to the
old
> version i.e. 3.5?

> Siggi

  Maybe you should consider upgrading your Map Companion program... version
1.2 is available free from www. magellangps.com.  Maybe that will address
the problem?  Worth a try?

Post by Steve Seal » Mon, 27 May 2002 09:42:10

> > Help,
> >         I recently upgraded my Palm Vx OS from 3.5 to 3.5.3 as it seemed
> > like
> > a good idea to have the latest OS. Unfortunately one of my programs has
> now
> > stopped working, it's called Map Companion V1.0 (which I got with my GPS
> > Companion), is made by Marcosoft. I've tried to delete the 3.5.3 file on
> the
> > palm, but it keeps on reappearing! Is there any way I can go back to the
> old
> > version i.e. 3.5?

> > Siggi

>   Maybe you should consider upgrading your Map Companion program...
version
> 1.2 is available free from www. magellangps.com.  Maybe that will address
> the problem?  Worth a try?

Oiops!  Sorry... the 1.2 version looks like it's only for the Visor.  Oh
well.

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Arthur Hage » Wed, 29 May 2002 20:23:27

Quote:> Help,
>         I recently upgraded my Palm Vx OS from 3.5 to 3.5.3 as it seemed
> like
> a good idea to have the latest OS. Unfortunately one of my programs has
now
> stopped working, it's called Map Companion V1.0 (which I got with my GPS
> Companion), is made by Marcosoft. I've tried to delete the 3.5.3 file on
the
> palm, but it keeps on reappearing! Is there any way I can go back to the
old
> version i.e. 3.5?

1:  "Doctor, my daughter is sick.  Give me a prescription!"
"Stopped working" isn't a very useful problem description.

2:  The latest OS version for the Vx is 4.1, and not 3.5.3

3:  Which build version of Map Companion?

4:  I've used Map Companion 1.0 build 00920 with both 3.5.3 and 4.1 on a Vx
(still using it under 4.1), so there might be some other problem here, like
libmal or other files missing, or hacks being installed that interfere with
Map Companion.

Regards,
--
*Art

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Ray » Thu, 30 May 2002 02:17:07

a hard reset is required to remove system patches like those from 3.5.0 to
3.5.3.

rename / delete the folder under the Palm Desktop with these files (the
HotSync Manager will
continue grabbing them if you don't).

sync, sync, sync. This should back up your apps and data. You might want to
check the Backup directory under C:\Palm\<devicename> to make sure the apps
you are interested in are there.

Hard reset (pin in while holding the power button, remove pin, continue
holding the power button for 3-5 seconds, then release the power button. You
will be prompted with "Delete all Data?" Press the UP button to delete.

place in cradle and sync. Your custom apps and data should return.

hope that helps.

Quote:> Help,
>         I recently upgraded my Palm Vx OS from 3.5 to 3.5.3 as it seemed
> like
> a good idea to have the latest OS. Unfortunately one of my programs has
now
> stopped working, it's called Map Companion V1.0 (which I got with my GPS
> Companion), is made by Marcosoft. I've tried to delete the 3.5.3 file on
the
> palm, but it keeps on reappearing! Is there any way I can go back to the
old
> version i.e. 3.5?

> Siggi

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Jim Anderso » Thu, 30 May 2002 05:18:34

Quote:> a hard reset is required to remove system patches like those from 3.5.0 to
> 3.5.3.

Hi Ray
Although that will work, so will amputating your head relieve your
headache.
ALL that is required is a 'no-notify' reset. Push and hold the up-scroll
button and poke the re-set. This will re-boot the palm with out the
normal loading of hacks and system patches. Now you can delete the
upgrade.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To E-mail me just pull 'my_finger'

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Siggi Ingaso » Thu, 30 May 2002 06:57:10

Thanks Jim, that's solved the problem..
Now how do I upgrade to the latest version.. only kidding - I think I'll
stick to the one I'm using for the time being. ie 3.5.0

Siggi

> > a hard reset is required to remove system patches like those from 3.5.0
> > 3.5.3.

> Hi Ray
> Although that will work, so will amputating your head relieve your
> headache.
> ALL that is required is a 'no-notify' reset. Push and hold the up-scroll
> button and poke the re-set. This will re-boot the palm with out the
> normal loading of hacks and system patches. Now you can delete the
> upgrade.

> --
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To E-mail me just pull 'my_finger'

Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

Post by Ray » Thu, 30 May 2002 09:09:09

You are right Jim, my guru friend. I forgot about what we used to call
resetting without loading the drivers. Not technically correct I know, but
easy to comprehend (for us non-guru types).

> > a hard reset is required to remove system patches like those from 3.5.0
> > 3.5.3.

> Hi Ray
> Although that will work, so will amputating your head relieve your
> headache.
> ALL that is required is a 'no-notify' reset. Push and hold the up-scroll
> button and poke the re-set. This will re-boot the palm with out the
> normal loading of hacks and system patches. Now you can delete the
> upgrade.

> --
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To E-mail me just pull 'my_finger'

1. Problem with Upgrade to Palm OS 3.5 on an PalmV

When i try to upgrade my PalmV to PalmOS3.5 (german version) with a
downloaded file "PalmOS350_DEU_PalmV.exe", i get the following error message
(translated from german!) in the stage, when the Palm OS will be upgraded:

"Reading the handheld productcode the PalmOS upgrade-software found an
error. The upgrade cannot be continued. Timing-Error."

Original German Message:
"Beim Lesen des Handheld-Produktcodes fand das Plam OS
Software-Aktualisierungsprogramm einen Fehler. Die Aktualisierung kann nicht
fortgesetzt werden. Zeitberschreitungsfehler"

I called the Palm Technical Support and the Palm Customer Service a few
times. They could not solve the problem. They told me, to reinstall the
desktop software from the original CD-Rom and to try the upgrade on another
desktop.

The Technical support asked me, where I go the german Version 3.5 from. It
seemed to me, that they did not know, that there is such an upgrade! => Oh
God! :-)

Can someone help?

Hans-Jrgen Everding

2. AltWDef

3. Problem upgrading Palm III to OS 3.5

4. reencoding of fonts

5. Upgraded from OS 3.3 to OS 3.5 DR4 - observations

6. Win-OS/2 problem... fixed, but how???

7. OS 3.5 Palm Upgrade for Palm V by a Macintosh

8. Dynamic Objects events at IJCAI-97, Nagoya, Japan

9. Palm 3.5 OS upgrade on Palm V

10. Upgrade Palm OS from 3.3 to 3.5 on a Palm Vx?

11. Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

12. Error when upgrading to OS 3.5 on Palm Vx

13. Issues upgrading Palm V to OS 3.5 (follow up)