Wireless email and maps?

Post by vespa_wont_r » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:45:40

I have and old Palm V that just broke.  Now, I want something that
will allow me to check email and get directions (yahoo maps)
wirelessly.  I know that the Palm i705 and various Handsprings have
wireless options, but with these you have to sign up for a $40 plan
that only includes 1mb of data.

Is there a cheaper option?

If I have a T-Mobile phone with bluetooth, can I buy a bluetooth
enabled palm and connect to email and the web or would I first need to
set something up with voicesteam to allow data (which is also an
expensive plan)?

Any tips?  I'm sort of clueless on what to look for.

Thanks

Wireless email and maps?

Post by Woggledo » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:02:56

Quote:> I have and old Palm V that just broke.  Now, I want something that
> will allow me to check email and get directions (yahoo maps)
> wirelessly.  I know that the Palm i705 and various Handsprings have
> wireless options, but with these you have to sign up for a $40 plan
> that only includes 1mb of data.

> Is there a cheaper option?

> If I have a T-Mobile phone with bluetooth, can I buy a bluetooth
> enabled palm and connect to email and the web or would I first need to
> set something up with voicesteam to allow data (which is also an
> expensive plan)?

I'd recommend a tungsten, with bluetooth enabled phone. The network the i705
uses isn't the best, and you won't be able to use it outside of the usa.

Plus, the 705 won't exactly fit in the pocket. Go for T-mobile, with GPRS
(which is a lot cheaper) and something like the T68i

Have a look at http://www.woggledog.com/?subject=index for more details

Wireless email and maps?

Post by vespa_wont_r » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 23:15:02

Thanks for the info, but I am wondering if I pick up a Tungsten and
the T68i, can I connect to the internet just using Bluetooth without
subscribing to T-mobile's GPRS?

Also, I noticed that with GPRS, you get 500mb a month.  How much data
is that over the phone?  Is it easy to use up?

Thanks again...

Quote:> I'd recommend a tungsten, with bluetooth enabled phone. The network the i705
> uses isn't the best, and you won't be able to use it outside of the usa.

> Plus, the 705 won't exactly fit in the pocket. Go for T-mobile, with GPRS
> (which is a lot cheaper) and something like the T68i

> Have a look at http://www.woggledog.com/?subject=index for more details

Wireless email and maps?

Post by Woggledo » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 03:55:30

Yes, of course you can. However, I use GPRS for e-mail and the occasional
web browsing, and 500KB (I assume you meant KB and not MB!!!!) is more than
enough. I think you'd find it cheaper than normal dial up if you were using
ICQ or similar.

Very easy to set up.

Paul

Quote:> Thanks for the info, but I am wondering if I pick up a Tungsten and
> the T68i, can I connect to the internet just using Bluetooth without
> subscribing to T-mobile's GPRS?

> Also, I noticed that with GPRS, you get 500mb a month.  How much data
> is that over the phone?  Is it easy to use up?

> Thanks again...

> > I'd recommend a tungsten, with bluetooth enabled phone. The network the
i705
> > uses isn't the best, and you won't be able to use it outside of the usa.

> > Plus, the 705 won't exactly fit in the pocket. Go for T-mobile, with
GPRS
> > (which is a lot cheaper) and something like the T68i

> > Have a look at http://www.woggledog.com/?subject=index for more details

1. wireless mapping on Palms?

Can anyone recommend a WAP or other micro-site that allows one to check
for driving directions and get a small map from a wireless handheld?
(Treo, etc.)

I know there are some GPS/Mapping solutions with software that you
preload on the palm - I'm looking for something that can get me a map
for a new area I've never been to over the wireless interface.

2. Obtaining device handle using CreateFile in Win2k

3. "Wireless" Maps/GIS News

4. Graphics.h weirdnesses

5. "Wireless" GIS/Maps

6. Looking for FTP-able printer queue...

7. Wireless Maps and News

8. URGENT long partitions

9. Wireless Maps/GIS

10. Any Map software where the user can edit or annotate on the maps?

11. UK maps and/or street maps for Palm?

12. Getting wireless email....

13. Any Wireless email with SSL to access attbi?