Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Sanjeev Gup » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:35:34

I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
to the upgrade software and the rom files.

Sanjeev

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Tott » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:03:13

Hello Sanjeev,

Quote:> I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
> to the upgrade software and the rom files.

The upgrade to OS4.1 is commercial.  It upgrades the inbuilt Flash ROM on
the Vx to 4.1, so you get the version 4.x of the internal applications, as
well as enhanced connectivity.

The information (UK site) is here: http://www.palm.com/uk/software/,
although I cannot find a price.  I paid 25 ($40) about a year ago for the
upgrade for my Palm Vx.

Hope this helps,

Totty  <8^)

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Chris A. Epl » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 03:11:05

> I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
> to the upgrade software and the rom files.

Sure:

http://www.palm.com/software/palmosupgrade_4-1/

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Tumblewee » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:33:19

Quote:> > I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
> > to the upgrade software and the rom files.

> Sure:

> http://www.palm.com/software/palmosupgrade_4-1/

Not good enough enough unless you emailed it to him as well :-)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Sanjeev Gup » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:57:09

> > > I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
> > > to the upgrade software and the rom files.

> > Sure:

> > http://www.palm.com/software/palmosupgrade_4-1/

> Not good enough enough unless you emailed it to him as well :-)

I AM LOOKING FOR WAREZ

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Jamie Har » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:54:53

Quote:> Hello Sanjeev,

> > I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the links
> > to the upgrade software and the rom files.

> The upgrade to OS4.1 is commercial.  It upgrades the inbuilt Flash ROM on
> the Vx to 4.1, so you get the version 4.x of the internal applications, as
> well as enhanced connectivity.

> The information (UK site) is here: http://www.palm.com/uk/software/,
> although I cannot find a price.  I paid 25 ($40) about a year ago for the
> upgrade for my Palm Vx.

> Hope this helps,

> Totty  <8^)

Maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me.

First how much flash space does OS4.1 take up?  I have a few essentials
stored in flash and want to be sure they'd all still fit.

Secondly, does OS4.1 slow down a Vx much?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jamie

P.S. Oh, yeah, and does it effect battery charge life at all?

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Arthur Hage » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:33:49

Quote:

> First how much flash space does OS4.1 take up?  I have a few essentials
> stored in flash and want to be sure they'd all still fit.

There's still *some* flash space left.  Less, but at least enough for
memplug software or similar.

Quote:> Secondly, does OS4.1 slow down a Vx much?

For most things, it speeds it up!  PalmOS ain't Windows, which gets slower
for each release.

Quote:> P.S. Oh, yeah, and does it effect battery charge life at all?

Apart from a heavy drain on it during the flash process, nope.

Regards,
--
*Art

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Tott » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:31:52

Hi,

Quote:> Maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me.

> First how much flash space does OS4.1 take up?  I have a few essentials
> stored in flash and want to be sure they'd all still fit.

I can't comment on this.  My Palm Vx finally croaked completely a couple of
months ago, after a long struggle with a dead battery.

Quote:> Secondly, does OS4.1 slow down a Vx much?

It's definitely faster.  Quite significantly faster in the Applications
view, in my opinion, and everything just feels a lot snappier.

Totty  <8^)

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by nospa » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:58:26

Quote:> I can't comment on this.  My Palm Vx finally croaked completely a couple of
> months ago, after a long struggle with a dead battery.

:( The whole Li Ion issue - they have a very finite life (used or unused)
and it seems to be 3-4 yrs for the current generation...

I have a NiCad battery pack from a TI-58C calculator, circa 1979. It still
takes a charge, and provides around 40 minutes use...

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by John Daviso » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 07:59:11

Quote:> > > > I want to upgrade Palm Vx from OS 3.5 to 4.1. Please mail me the
links

> > > Sure:

> > > http://www.palm.com/software/palmosupgrade_4-1/

> > Not good enough enough unless you emailed it to him as well :-)

> I AM LOOKING FOR WAREZ

At $29.95, give me a break!  If you can't afford that, you don't have any
business owning a PalmPilot.

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by Adam Mart » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:33:37

Quote:>> I can't comment on this.  My Palm Vx finally croaked completely a couple of
>> months ago, after a long struggle with a dead battery.
>The whole Li Ion issue - they have a very finite life (used or unused)
>and it seems to be 3-4 yrs for the current generation...

Maybe.  Obviously the battery does have a lifespan ceiling *somewhere*
but its demise might have a more likely explanation.  Its still a
little early for the Palm Vx batteries to be up and dying.  Its
probably more likely that he encountered a problem I had where the
particular contact that receives the charge from the cradle became
corroded, thereby slowing the charge to a trickle that finally stopped
altogether.  Eventually my Palm V simply refused to charge despite
hours in the cradle.

What confounded my trouble-shooting was the fact that the other
contacts apparently didn't experience the same phenomena so hotsyncs
still worked reliably, which lead me away from more closely
investigating the connector.  Plus the screen showed the Palm charging
even though clearly it wasn't, leading me to believe that the OS makes
this determination based on whether a contact /other/ than the actual
charging contact is in contact with the cradle.

After locating the problem, a firm rubbing with a mildly abrasive
eraser restored my Palm's ability to take a charge.

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by nospa » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:27:52

>>> I can't comment on this.  My Palm Vx finally croaked completely a couple of
>>> months ago, after a long struggle with a dead battery.
>>The whole Li Ion issue - they have a very finite life (used or unused)
>>and it seems to be 3-4 yrs for the current generation...
> Maybe.  Obviously the battery does have a lifespan ceiling *somewhere*
> but its demise might have a more likely explanation.  Its still a
> little early for the Palm Vx batteries to be up and dying.  Its
> probably more likely that he encountered a problem I had where the
> particular contact that receives the charge from the cradle became
> corroded, thereby slowing the charge to a trickle that finally stopped
> altogether.  Eventually my Palm V simply refused to charge despite
> hours in the cradle.
> What confounded my trouble-shooting was the fact that the other
> contacts apparently didn't experience the same phenomena so hotsyncs
> still worked reliably, which lead me away from more closely
> investigating the connector.  Plus the screen showed the Palm charging
> even though clearly it wasn't, leading me to believe that the OS makes
> this determination based on whether a contact /other/ than the actual
> charging contact is in contact with the cradle.
> After locating the problem, a firm rubbing with a mildly abrasive
> eraser restored my Palm's ability to take a charge.

Well, Li Ion is very different to other battery technologies, and there
are many reasons for an early death. They do appear to have a very much
finite life, that's a lot shorter than NiCad and NiMh. Take a read of
this, it's long, quite technical, but may explain some of the ways Li Ion
may die. Although, as you said, it could have been something else. My
Palm V was bought in Dec 1999, and still seems to have a reasonable battery
life, although it's probably only 60% of what it used to be.

http://www.buchmann.ca/Article5-Page1.asp

Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

Post by GuiGur » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:23:45

Hey, he steals it, he owns it!  The way it is with the WAREZ crowd....
Maybe he's just trolling?

Post by Tumblewee » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:34:27

> > > Sure:

> > > http://www.palm.com/software/palmosupgrade_4-1/

> > Not good enough enough unless you emailed it to him as well :-)

> I AM LOOKING FOR WAREZ

And a new keyboard? The Caps key seems to be stuck on the one you have.