anyone used a Palm and mobile phone over GPRS?

anyone used a Palm and mobile phone over GPRS?

Post by Dylan Gos » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:54:52

GPRS is starting to roll out and I wonder, is anyone using their palm to
connect this way?

I am sucessfully making data calls over the IR of my Ericsson t68, but the
phone is GPRS capable and the network is starting to go up in my market -
I'm assuming that we just need some drivers, but do the exist?

I would love to hear anyone's experience with GPRS.

Dylan Goss
--
remove ZZ from email address

anyone used a Palm and mobile phone over GPRS?

Post by Matthe » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:16:51

You don't need any drivers. A while back I grabbed this info from someone
that posted how they got their Palm and Phone to work with GPRS. I hope to
upgrade to GPRS sometime this year, so I haven't used this personally, but
at the time several othersposted that it worked for them...

Voicestream GPRS

Connection:  "iStream" IrCOMM to PC, 57,600 bps, Auto Flow Ctl.
Network: "iStream" user: a; passwd: a; connection: iStream (above)
Network Details:
Type: PPP
Idle: Power Off
Query DNS - checked
IP- auto
Script:  as per VS Configurator:

1  Send at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"
2  Send CR
3  Wait For OK
4  Send at+cgqmin=1,0,0,3,0,0
5  Send CR
6  Wait For OK
7  Send at+cgqreq=1,0,0,3,0,0
8  Send CR
9  Wait For OK
10 Send atd*99# (or atd*98**1#)
11 Wait For CONNECT
12 End

--

Matthew Stevens

Kozy Kingdom http://kozykingdom.com
DFWPUG http://dfwpug.org
ICQ: 279754 AIM: KrazyKritterKK Y!: KrazyKritter

Matthew at KozyKingdom dot com

Quote:> GPRS is starting to roll out and I wonder, is anyone using their palm to
> connect this way?

> I am sucessfully making data calls over the IR of my Ericsson t68, but the
> phone is GPRS capable and the network is starting to go up in my market -
> I'm assuming that we just need some drivers, but do the exist?

> I would love to hear anyone's experience with GPRS.

> Dylan Goss
> --
> remove ZZ from email address

anyone used a Palm and mobile phone over GPRS?

Post by dr.emailposte » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:48:55

As a matter of fact I don't have any script!

I created a Connection "GPRS via IR" and another "GPRS via Bluetooth". Both
have the same init string "at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com",
replacing the voicestream server name with my Vodafone connection.

The network # to dial in my case is "*99**1#", which indicates the mobile to
use the first profile (I have more than one, YMMV).

It works fine, and without the long scripts!

Post by Anssi Saar » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:25:04

> As a matter of fact I don't have any script!

> I created a Connection "GPRS via IR" and another "GPRS via Bluetooth". Both
> have the same init string "at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com",
> replacing the voicestream server name with my Vodafone connection.

> The network # to dial in my case is "*99**1#", which indicates the mobile to
> use the first profile (I have more than one, YMMV).

> It works fine, and without the long scripts!

Well, I can top yours :) No init string, I just dial *99# (which dials
first CID on Ericssons at least) and that's all. I did bang my head to
the wall a long time as I didn't realize I had to put something to
username and password on the Palm (Palm Vx, OS 3.5.3).

1. Rumour: GPRS mobile phone addon for Palm

[note crossposts - parts of this post will be obvious to one group but
probably necessary for the other]

Hi,

I work for Vodafone in the UK and went on a course on GPRS, an
improvement to the GSM mobile phone standard used in Europe and most of
the rest of the world. During the course the guy told me of a new unit
due to be available for the Palm handheld computer that would be a GPRS
mobile unit that clipped on the back, at the end of this year or early
next.

If this is true (does anyone know?) I can see a few advantages. In
common with the phone unit for the Visor I expect you'll be able to dial
numbers direct from the phone book, or use it for wireless email and web
access.

But it's quite special 'cos it's GPRS. I think (though I'm not sure)
that it may be the first GPRS handset to market in the UK... please
correct me if I'm wrong! (If I am, who has released them?)

GPRS allows data transfers of up to 171Kb/sec although this is very
likely to be artificially limited to 56Kb/sec in line with computer
modems (though they never actually run at 56k). GPRS also has a
different way of billing to normal data calls - instead of paying per
minute for data, you actually only pay for the data transferred [1]...
which means not only will web browsing and email will be *quicker*
(potentially) than on conventional modems, but you'll only pay for when
you actually use it; as soon as a web page has stopped loading, you stop
paying!

(of course, seeing as GPRS is so new, the charges will probably be quite
high to start with)

Any comments? Please de-crosspost if your reply has nothing to do with
either UK mobile telecoms or the Palm handheld computer platform, I
don't want to start off topic posting. I crossposted this cos it's
relevent to both groups, hope it's been of interest!

        -zoara-

[1] Note that Vodafone, in common with the other UK providers, haven't a
clue how to work out the billing for GPRS yet, even though we're
expecting to release it on the network Q1 of 2001!

2. WaitForSingleObjectEx: access violation

3. Connecting Palm IIIc through Siemens S45 using GPRS, anyone who has managed?

4. Decision time - still got questions

5. using Palm with modem/mobile phone

6. Apollo Clock Problem Revisited...

7. Using Palm as a bridge between PC and mobile phone

8. Bulk email software

9. Need help re: Using mobile phone as modem

10. IP problems using an IR mobile phone

11. HotSync via ISP using Mobile Phone.

12. Help: problem with AvantGo synching using mobile phone

13. Connecting to mobile phone using IR