Touch pad "jitter"

Post by Spencer Roedde » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

When I use the application Sketch Pad 1.01 by Tony Leung, I see a lot of
"jitter" in the lines being drawn when I move the stylus slowly.  It looks
like a drunkard with a goal in mind!  I assume that the same jitter is
there when I draw fast, except disguised by the fact that the program only
picks up a few stylus positions per second.

My question: is this one-to-two pixel jitter inherent in the touch screen,
or is my machine defective in some way?  The other fact that makes me
wonder is that I am still having only about 95% Grafitti recognition
after two weeks of practice.

Thanks.

Touch pad "jitter"

Post by Roge » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've noticed the same problem. I'm not sure why this happens but it is
annoying when attempting to draw.

--
Roger
--------------

>When I use the application Sketch Pad 1.01 by Tony Leung, I see a lot of
>"jitter" in the lines being drawn when I move the stylus slowly.  It looks
>like a drunkard with a goal in mind!  I assume that the same jitter is
>there when I draw fast, except disguised by the fact that the program only
>picks up a few stylus positions per second.

>My question: is this one-to-two pixel jitter inherent in the touch screen,
>or is my machine defective in some way?  The other fact that makes me
>wonder is that I am still having only about 95% Grafitti recognition
>after two weeks of practice.

>Thanks.

Touch pad "jitter"

Post by Phil Le » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem but it seems to have become less so since I got my new
stylus (black nail). I have also tried screen enhancements/protectors and they
seem to make a difference too.

Phil

> I've noticed the same problem. I'm not sure why this happens but it is
> annoying when attempting to draw.

> --
> Roger
> --------------
> For email address: please change wart to wave to uptime.
> --------------

> >When I use the application Sketch Pad 1.01 by Tony Leung, I see a lot of
> >"jitter" in the lines being drawn when I move the stylus slowly.  It looks
> >like a drunkard with a goal in mind!  I assume that the same jitter is
> >there when I draw fast, except disguised by the fact that the program only
> >picks up a few stylus positions per second.

> >My question: is this one-to-two pixel jitter inherent in the touch screen,
> >or is my machine defective in some way?  The other fact that makes me
> >wonder is that I am still having only about 95% Grafitti recognition
> >after two weeks of practice.

> >Thanks.

Touch pad "jitter"

Post by Jon Weav » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> When I use the application Sketch Pad 1.01 by Tony Leung, I see a lot of
> "jitter" in the lines being drawn when I move the stylus slowly.  It looks
> like a drunkard with a goal in mind!  I assume that the same jitter is
> there when I draw fast, except disguised by the fact that the program only
> picks up a few stylus positions per second.

> My question: is this one-to-two pixel jitter inherent in the touch screen,
> or is my machine defective in some way?  The other fact that makes me
> wonder is that I am still having only about 95% Grafitti recognition
> after two weeks of practice.

I noticed this on my first Palmpilot and found that when playing Pocket
Chess, or patience, if you grabed a chess piece or card and held the
stylus still, the piece would 'jitter' under the pen.

However.... Using DinkyPad, I did not see this.. You could hold the pen
still on the screen and only 1 pixel would be drawn and there was NO
jitter at all.

I also had no problems with Graffiti...

HOWEVER... My original Pilot was replaced and now I have a brand new one!

This time, I still get the jitter when playing PocketChess, however, if I
now draw a line in Dinky Pad, it spikes all over the place.

As you said, draw the line fast and its pretty straight, but slowly, it
looks like a pipe cleaner.

I get inacuracies of anything from 1 to 5 pixels.

The same thing happens with Graffiti... If I draw the character slowly, I
often get the wrong character.

I am going to talk to 3Com today, to see what they want to do about this

Hope you get yours sorted

Jon

1. One Touch Mail/OmniSky Mail crashes with "Find" function on Visor Prism

Does anybody use One Touch Mail or OmniSky Mail on a Visor Prism?  I
have this application, which was bundled with my Minstrel module, and
I have reason to believe it is causing my Prism to crash.

Whenever I try using the global "Find" function (with the magnifying
glass), it causes my Prism to crash and prompts for reset as soon as
the Find touches the "One Touch Messages" database.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem, and if so, do you know of a
fix or workaround?

2. Oracle network process

3. Alcatel gsm " One Touch Pocket" connected to Palm Pilot Pro ?

4. Wakefield Show 2004

5. Palm III problem - screen "loses touch"

6. Finding Mode

7. Missing "Connection" and "Phone" Preferences after palm upgrade

8. SIO2PC questions

9. change "Other" default to "Mobile"

10. Mail app that allows manually marking messages "Read" or "Unread"

11. "Action names Datebook 5.1" v "DateBk4 4.0f"

12. No "?" or "+" with M505 and OS4.0

13. "Fatal Exception" / "Fatal Error" on wake for alarm