Rio/Palm V Dream Machine

Post by William Ofosu-Ama » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Wrong newsgroup in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
You should use comp.sys.palmtops

>1.  Can the Compaq Aero 2100 which is a Windows CE device that plays  spoken
>audio from the web also play MP3 sound or other near-CD audio?

It should. There is an MP3 player form CE at http://www.xaudio.com
I have used it on a Casio E-10. You will need a large Compact Flash
card to hold a lot of music though. You can also plug in headphones
into the PPC but only in mono.

William

Rio/Palm V Dream Machine

Post by Jan Johansso » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I heard that the next version of WindowsCE (which is going to have color)

will have built-in MP3 playback.  I doubt the playback

The CURRENT WinCE (ver 2.0) has color support.

Quote:

>Be aware that most CE boxes carry from 8 to 32M of memory space (RAM), I

don't think they have harddrives - so capacity is VERY
Quote:>tight.  If they come up with a 1G harddrive for CE boxes, then it'll be

worth it.

Uhm.. lots of palmtops running CE has harddrives, and (technically) IBM has
atleast a  6Gbyte 1 inch drive (expensive as hell, but still)

Rio/Palm V Dream Machine

Post by sabreWul » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I heard that the next version of WindowsCE (which is going to have color)

will have built-in MP3 playback.  I doubt the playback
Quote:>quality will be as good as the Rio's or MPman's, since it won't have

"great" audio card support nor any decent kind of bass.  Also,
Quote:>Microsoft's MP3 quality has been less than great (media player's MP3's

quality is a joke when compared with WinAMP).
Quote:

>Be aware that most CE boxes carry from 8 to 32M of memory space (RAM), I

don't think they have harddrives - so capacity is VERY
Quote:>tight.  If they come up with a 1G harddrive for CE boxes, then it'll be

worth it.

    I already have the XAudio MP3 Player from MpegTV on my E-11.  WIth an
additional 16M compact flash card in the slot, I can load a decent amount of
music (6-7 songs).  The stereo headphone jack works fine, and my Sony
MDR-CD360 headphones have their own drivers, so the low end actually sounds
really good.  Nothing beats digital quality music in a device that size that
never skips...

    -sW

Rio/Palm V Dream Machine

Post by Mr Psyc » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:50:52 +0100, "Jan Johansson"

>>I heard that the next version of WindowsCE (which is going to have color)
>will have built-in MP3 playback.  I doubt the playback

>The CURRENT WinCE (ver 2.0) has color support.

>>Be aware that most CE boxes carry from 8 to 32M of memory space (RAM), I
>don't think they have harddrives - so capacity is VERY
>>tight.  If they come up with a 1G harddrive for CE boxes, then it'll be
>worth it.

>Uhm.. lots of palmtops running CE has harddrives, and (technically) IBM has
>atleast a  6Gbyte 1 inch drive (expensive as hell, but still)

this may not be completely relevant, but i read on next-gen that the
playstation2 will be firewire compliant, and apparently there are a
few firewire hard drives out there that are very small.
is this true, and if so why don't you hear much about them for the pc,
or is it a mac thing?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I love you guys... ah*you guys!" (Cartman)
"                                     " (Silent Bob)

     icq no: 26170489

don't forget to remove the spam block!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

1. how does secreatry update boss' datebook installed on HIS machine from HER machine?

Hi, I have a problem which shouldn't be a problem because its
solution sounds so simple, so I thought.

I have two users who want to share one datebook. The boss has the
Palm software and unit on his computer. He wants his secreatry to
be able to make changes to HIS Datebook (which sits on his
computer) from HER workstation. Both computers are NT boxes and
are networked. She will be updating his datebook only from the
Desktop, not from the unit.

I tried the obvious and set up sharing and security permissions
on the boss' computer to enable file sharing for the secretary.
She can access the boss' computer, she can see all files,
however, when she launches the palm.exe file it starts loading
ok at first, then it ends up in a Palm Desktop error message
saying "improper configuration". What am I missing here? All
permissions are there, I can run other software over the network
but not this one!

I then tried another way: I installed the Palm software on the
secretary's computer and in her Datebook folder I replaced the
blank default datebook.dat file with a shortcut to her boss'
datebook.dat file. Nothing.Doing this gave me a brand new default
blank datebook.dat file instead. She can view her boss' datebook
as an archive and make changes to it. He in turn can view those
changes on his computer, but he can HotSync only with the
datebook.dat file, right? He can not HotSync with archive files -
is this correct?

So if anyone knows how to enable several people to make changes
to one datebook from different machines over a networked
environment, please let me know.

Thank you very much,
-Eva Zeisky

2. User Profile Copying to Network

3. Rio de Janeiro guide ?

4. Terminal Emulator, WINSOCK

5. MY Dream Palm! KeepItSimple

6. Computer Program for Heath-Jarrow-Morton model

7. Dream Palm Pilot

8. Connection Refused problem

9. Palm Dream Case

10. Finding Palm Accessories in Australia -- dream on!

11. Palm Service Dream

12. Dream Jobs @ Palm

13. Syncing a Palm Professional and Palm III on one machine