Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by Michael McCloske » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a PC
to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could then
HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

Thanks
Mike McCloskey

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by Helphan » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:39:18 GMT, in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot "Michael

>3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a PC
>to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could then
>HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

>However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
>know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

>Thanks
>Mike McCloskey

  It's there on 3Com's site. Try this link....

   "http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/netsync.html"

  scott

--
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3216/

Helphand's Not So FAQ's for the Palm
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/3216/palmprobs.htm

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by G/regg P/olit » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
> know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

Not the easist file to find these days.  It's in the support section.

http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/netsync.html

-GP

Post by JW » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 23:39:18 GMT, in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot "Michael

>>3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a PC
>>to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could then
>>HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

>>However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
>>know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

>>Thanks
>>Mike McCloskey

>  It's there on 3Com's site. Try this link....

>   "http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/netsync.html"

>  scott

The NetSync software is easy enough to find, but good luck on the
netsync.prc file you need for the Palm itself. It isn't in
nhssetup.exe, nhsadmin.exe or the latest version of Palm Desktop.

I ran across this problem last week. I had to install the old version
3.0 of Desktop on an unused machine to extract the .prc file and
install it manually.

--
-JWP

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! == http://www.cauce.org/

Track Down and Hammer Spammers Yourself -- It's Easy
Get Sam Spade free at http://www.samspade.org/

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by Renee Robert » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have sealed copy here. Let me know if you want it. We'll talk about $
(Cheap).

Renee Roberts

> 3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a PC
> to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could then
> HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

> However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
> know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

> Thanks
> Mike McCloskey

  renee.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Joseph W. Jacks » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> 3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a PC
> to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could then
> HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

> However, I can't find it anymore at the 3Com site or any site.  Does anyone
> know how to get it or some other similar piece of software?

> Thanks
> Mike McCloskey

NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE IS NECESSARY! (at least for Palm-Vs running Palm OS
3.0 or later.)

The HotSync manager allows the user to activate network synchronization for
the desktop hosts.  Network synchronization must be activated for both the
machine you sync from and the machine you sync to.

The HotSync application on the Palm has settings pages under the Options
menu for declaring your Primary PC and your LANSync Preferences.  With these
properly setup, you can sync from any PC on your LAN to your Primary PC.

With the modem setup properly established you can dial-in to your network
(using RAS or any other service) and sync to your primary PC.

I have used all three Sync techniques (Local, LAN and Modem and they all
work flawlessly.

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by The Evil Microwizar » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Something I'm curious about, too:

Would this make it possible to hotsync across the Internet?  If so,
how?  (And if not, why not...?)

Hope someone can shed light on this!

Post by Jan Kal » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Something I'm curious about, too:

>Would this make it possible to hotsync across the Internet?  If so, how?
>(And if not, why not...?)

>Hope someone can shed light on this!

>> 3Com used to have a product called 'Network HotSync' that would allow a
>> PC to present the HotSync function as a network service.  You could
>> then HotSync from any cradle on the network or from a RAS port.

Yes, it is possible, I use it to hotsync from home to my PC at work by
dialing up our PPP server and going through the LAN (using tcpip) to my
PC. I see no reason (apart from firewalls) why it shouldn't work across
the Internet.

You have to install the "Network HotSync" on your PC. From memory (I'm not
about to remove and reinstall everything), this adds a "Network" item in
the HotSync menu (accessed from the task bar) and also adds a small PRC
into your palm. In the HotSync app on your Palm, in the "Options|Modem
Sync" menu you get to choose between dialing directly to your hotsync PC
or dialling to the Internet. You set up your primary PCs IP name and
address and you're off.

One thing that worries me, though, is security. I believe that anyone who
knows your hotsync name and ID can connect to your PC and make a copy of
everything on your Palm, especially if you are running BackupBuddy.

You can get the "Network HotSync" on
http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/netsync.html

Cheers, Jan

--
 Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
 <A HREF="http://www.zag.si/~jank/"> contact information </A>

Post by Rémi Leto » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> You have to install the "Network HotSync" on your PC. From memory (I'm not
> about to remove and reinstall everything), this adds a "Network" item in
> the HotSync menu (accessed from the task bar) and also adds a small PRC
> into your palm.

Well, I don't use the windows software to sync, and so that program
doesn't want to install itself (quite normal). But my linux box can
handle the network hotsync stuff (pilot-link).

The problem is how can I get just the prc for the palm ?
I need it and the only way to have it seems to be to install the windows
software, which I can't do :-)

Any idea ?
--

- Rmi -
Remove ".nospam" for mail copies of the answers

Post by Jan Kal » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>> You have to install the "Network HotSync" on your PC. From memory (I'm not
>> about to remove and reinstall everything), this adds a "Network" item in
>> the HotSync menu (accessed from the task bar) and also adds a small PRC
>> into your palm.

>Well, I don't use the windows software to sync, and so that program
>doesn't want to install itself (quite normal). But my linux box can
>handle the network hotsync stuff (pilot-link).

>The problem is how can I get just the prc for the palm ?
>I need it and the only way to have it seems to be to install the windows
>software, which I can't do :-)

I seem to have made a mistake (see a previous post by Joseph W. Jackson

palm itself. I checked my IIIx with the FPS Utility and found "NetSync" in
ROM with the same creation date as the rest of the OS. I've also just
started a new POSE session (clean state) and the netsync option
("Options|Modem Sync Prefs" in "HotSync" application is there.

From this it seems that you should be able to hotsync without doing
anything else (apart from setting things up correctly :)

Cheers, Jan

--
 Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
 <A HREF="http://www.zag.si/~jank/"> contact information </A>

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by Rémi Leto » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I seem to have made a mistake (see a previous post by Joseph W. Jackson

No, you haven't...

Quote:> The "NetSync" prc is on the
> palm itself. I checked my IIIx with the FPS Utility and found "NetSync" in
> ROM with the same creation date as the rest of the OS. I've also just
> started a new POSE session (clean state) and the netsync option
> ("Options|Modem Sync Prefs" in "HotSync" application is there.

That's because you lucky guy have a IIIx. I only have a III and the
netsync.prc is not in rom or nowhere else because it has to be installed
manually. That occurs when you install the desktop part of network
hotsync, but I can't do that. So I'm stuck :-(

Quote:> From this it seems that you should be able to hotsync without doing
> anything else (apart from setting things up correctly :)

Nope, I have to install the netsync.prc file and I can't find it :-(
--

Post by Jan Exne » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> it has to be installed manually. That occurs when you install the
> desktop part of network hotsync,

It didn't install on my Palm. Hm...

--

Yoda of Borg we are. Assimilate you we will. Resistance futile is.

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by Media On » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I seem to be unable to get this to work and suspect I have a setting wrong.
Can you help.  On my LAN, I have an NT Workstation and a portable running
Win 98.  The data I want to synch to on the NT Workstation.

In the popup for Hotsync in the Tray on NT I've checked Network and Local.
In Setting/Network on the NT Workstation, I've checked my name for primary
PC
In the popup for Hotsynch on the portable, I've checked Network and NOT
local
I synched directory on the Workstatation and the proper IP address and
  computer name are in the primary PC Setup on the palm
Under LANSync Preferences on the Palm I have LANSynch choosen
I connect to the Laptop with the cradle and the synch works if I check Local
and not
   Network so I know the connection to the Laptop is OK.
I can open remote directories on the WinNT machine from the Laptop so I know
the
  that the LAN connection is OK.
If I check Network and NOT local on the Laptop and hit synch on the cradle,
it
   does not connection over the LAN.

Any idea what setting I need to change?

Thanks for your help.

Quote:> NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE IS NECESSARY! (at least for Palm-Vs running Palm OS
> 3.0 or later.)

> The HotSync manager allows the user to activate network synchronization
for
> the desktop hosts.  Network synchronization must be activated for both the
> machine you sync from and the machine you sync to.

> The HotSync application on the Palm has settings pages under the Options
> menu for declaring your Primary PC and your LANSync Preferences.  With
these
> properly setup, you can sync from any PC on your LAN to your Primary PC.

> With the modem setup properly established you can dial-in to your network
> (using RAS or any other service) and sync to your primary PC.

> I have used all three Sync techniques (Local, LAN and Modem and they all
> work flawlessly.

Does anyone know how to get 3Com's Network HotSync

Post by G/regg P/olit » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >I seem to be unable to get this to work and suspect I have a setting wrong.
> >Can you help.  On my LAN, I have an NT Workstation and a portable running
> >Win 98.  The data I want to synch to on the NT Workstation.

> >In the popup for Hotsync in the Tray on NT I've checked Network and Local.
> >In Setting/Network on the NT Workstation, I've checked my name for primary
> >PC
> >In the popup for Hotsynch on the portable, I've checked Network and NOT
> >local
> >I synched directory on the Workstatation and the proper IP address and
> >  computer name are in the primary PC Setup on the palm
> >Under LANSync Preferences on the Palm I have LANSynch choosen
> >I connect to the Laptop with the cradle and the synch works if I check Local
> >and not
> >   Network so I know the connection to the Laptop is OK.
> >I can open remote directories on the WinNT machine from the Laptop so I know
> >the
> >  that the LAN connection is OK.
> >If I check Network and NOT local on the Laptop and hit synch on the cradle,
> >it
> >   does not connection over the LAN.

> >Any idea what setting I need to change?

> Unfortunately, I think you have all the settings right. In fact, this is my
> exact configuration, with the exeption that my win98 machine is at home, and my
> NT machine is on my desk at work.  I can dial my 98 box into the corporate lan,
> and sync from my palm to my NT box, via the 98 box.

On the remote machine, I've always had Local Sync checked as well.  I've
been using it that way for 3 years and it never worked if I didn't have
that checked.

-GP

Post by Nathan Bo » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I seem to be unable to get this to work and suspect I have a setting wrong.
>Can you help.  On my LAN, I have an NT Workstation and a portable running
>Win 98.  The data I want to synch to on the NT Workstation.

>In the popup for Hotsync in the Tray on NT I've checked Network and Local.
>In Setting/Network on the NT Workstation, I've checked my name for primary
>PC
>In the popup for Hotsynch on the portable, I've checked Network and NOT
>local
>I synched directory on the Workstatation and the proper IP address and
>  computer name are in the primary PC Setup on the palm
>Under LANSync Preferences on the Palm I have LANSynch choosen
>I connect to the Laptop with the cradle and the synch works if I check Local
>and not
>   Network so I know the connection to the Laptop is OK.
>I can open remote directories on the WinNT machine from the Laptop so I know
>the
>  that the LAN connection is OK.
>If I check Network and NOT local on the Laptop and hit synch on the cradle,
>it
>   does not connection over the LAN.

>Any idea what setting I need to change?

Unfortunately, I think you have all the settings right. In fact, this is my
exact configuration, with the exeption that my win98 machine is at home, and my
NT machine is on my desk at work.  I can dial my 98 box into the corporate lan,
and sync from my palm to my NT box, via the 98 box.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps your subnet mask. I know when we
changed service provide, and broke the office into various subnets, my subnet
mask changed from 255.255.255.0, to 255.255.192.0. My LAN sync didn't work
until I changed it to the new value.

Also... you may need to select LOCAL as well as NETWORK on your 98 machine.
Technically, you will be initiating a hot sync session with the 98 machine,
which will then re-direct it to your NT box. When it works successfully, you
should see a message in the hot sync box on the 98 machine showing that it is
looking for your NT machine (it will print the real name of the machine ).

Nathan