Palm III problem - screen "loses touch"

Post by Anna » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

I had this problem with my PIII last week. At first, it would "come back to
life" after a reset. However, as the week went on, it just wouldn't respond
to any form of CPR (hard resets, batteries out for 15 minutes, etc.). I
finally called 3Com and they replaced the unit within 2 days. As far as I
can tell, there's no fix for this. Did the 3Com folks give you any
explanation for the problem? I didn't ask (doh!)...

I feel your pain...

Anna

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem I'm
seeing.

Post by Brian D. Webe » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem I'm seeing.
> About a month ago, my Palm III's screen stopped responding to any tapping
> from the stylus.  The buttons still worked, but the touch-sensitive screen
> was obviously out to lunch.  It started to work again on its own after a few
> hours.

I have just recently (in the past few days) have started seeing this happen
on my Palm III.  This has been in conjuction with some missing vertical
lines through just my calculator program, but besides that I will turn it on
and it will be unresponsive to any touches on the screen, the four burned it
buttons or the graffitti area.  Turning it off and then on a couple times
seems to fix it, but I too am worried that it is a sign of a worse or more
frequent problem.  We will see what happens.

Brian

--

"If we are going to prosper, we have to let go of the notion that for Apple
to win, Microsoft has to lose"

Palm III problem - screen "loses touch"

Post by Mark Schneide » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well, at least I know I'm not alone.  I'm hoping that my replacement Palm
III will not exhibit the same behavior.  On a sidenote, the replacement unit
I received from 3Com appears that they've slapped a IIIx screen on a III,
because the Applications, Menu, Calculator, and Find icons all appear
without words.  It also has what feels like a transparent piece of plastic
above the glass.  You can see the stylus making an indentation in this
plastic when you tap the main display area.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this new Palm doesn't "lose touch."

- Mark Schneider

>> I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem I'm
seeing.
>> About a month ago, my Palm III's screen stopped responding to any tapping
>> from the stylus.  The buttons still worked, but the touch-sensitive
screen
>> was obviously out to lunch.  It started to work again on its own after a
few
>> hours.

>I have just recently (in the past few days) have started seeing this happen
>on my Palm III.  This has been in conjuction with some missing vertical
>lines through just my calculator program, but besides that I will turn it
on
>and it will be unresponsive to any touches on the screen, the four burned
it
>buttons or the graffitti area.  Turning it off and then on a couple times
>seems to fix it, but I too am worried that it is a sign of a worse or more
>frequent problem.  We will see what happens.

>Brian

>--

>"If we are going to prosper, we have to let go of the notion that for Apple
>to win, Microsoft has to lose"

1. Missing "Connection" and "Phone" Preferences after palm upgrade

Hi,

I just upgraded my m515 to a Tungsten palm performing a normal Hotsync
with the new device to transfer the data and apps installed in the
m515 to the Tungsten.

The data and apps transfer went well, but when I tried to configure
the bluetooth connection with my phone (nokia 8910) in order to send
SMS, I realized that the "Connection" and the "Phone" items in the
Preference/Communication of the Palm Prefs application were missing,
and I just don't know why and how to fix it.

Does any one know how to get this two items back?

Thanks,
Miguel

2. Suitable memory for AXPpci motherboards?

3. Palm 500M "Black-out" Screen Problem

4. GRAPHICS/CAD MODELER

5. Palm III Screen is "Flickering and Fading" During Use

6. Orbix2.3MT abnormal performance! Is my fault?

7. Palm IIIc: "Scroll Down" and "Digitizer" issues to discuss.

8. forms: confirmation pages

9. Palm III Screen "Feel" Differences

10. Alcatel gsm " One Touch Pocket" connected to Palm Pilot Pro ?

11. Palm III screen "disintegrates" after synch with Outlook 97/PocketMirror 2.02

12. Palm III Screen "Mushy" in the middle?

13. When "Palm" meet "Nokia"