About the batteries for IIIx

Post by Sean Judg » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

    In the owners manual for my new IIIx, it states that only alkaline
batteries may be used.  I'm curious, though, if anyone has used
rechargeable batteries, the type, and how it affected the IIIx.
Basically, is there a reason why I have to keep tossing batteries away?
    Furthermore, I notice that there is a program available called
BatteryInfo V 1.2 which claims to be able to re-calibrate the IIIx for
rechargeable NiCad batteries.  Yet the program writer clearly states
that 3Com thinks this is a really bad idea?  Again, why?
    Does it mess with the battery sensing algorithm?

Thanks for any answers.

About the batteries for IIIx

Post by Kewei Min » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a IIIx too!

I have been using Rechargable Alkaline batteries and there is no problem.
Each set will provide about 10 hours up time which will last for about a
week with normal usage before they drop to 50%. Since it is a good idea to
recharge Rechargable Alkaline far before it runs out of power I exchange
when it hits 50%.

People were talking about Rechargable NIMH and general opinion is that it
is pretty cool option for IIIx.

NiCad is considered to be a bad idea simply because that it will run out
suddenly.
I.e., it's power will drop to 0 from 1.25v in a very short time without
warning. So
you will be in the danger of losing all data because of battery failure and
you wont'
know when to change batteries.

IMHO both NIMH and Rechargable Alkaline will be OK.

Vic

Post by Lee Kann » Sun, 25 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>    In the owners manual for my new IIIx, it states that only alkaline
>batteries may be used.  I'm curious, though, if anyone has used
>rechargeable batteries, the type, and how it affected the IIIx.
>Basically, is there a reason why I have to keep tossing batteries away?
>    Furthermore, I notice that there is a program available called
>BatteryInfo V 1.2 which claims to be able to re-calibrate the IIIx for
>rechargeable NiCad batteries.  Yet the program writer clearly states
>that 3Com thinks this is a really bad idea?  Again, why?
>    Does it mess with the battery sensing algorithm?

>Thanks for any answers.

The main reason, I believe, for discouraging the use of rechargables is
that when they drop dead they do so very suddenly.  Hence, by the time you
notice that the batteries are dangerously low (one volt per cell), it may
be too late to change batteries without losing data.  Now NiMH batteries
have twice the capacity of NiCd and don't drop dead quite as suddenly.  I
have been using them for months with no problems.  But, when the total
voltage is down to 2.0 volts, I change them promptly, whereas with
alkalines, I am quite willing to tickle the dragon's tail.

Herb

--
Herb and/or Lee Kanner
For e-mail reply, remove "NO-SPAM"

About the batteries for IIIx

Post by Lonny Bea » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I too use rechargeable alkalinize (Renewal) without any difficulties.

Lonny

Quote:>     In the owners manual for my new IIIx, it states that only alkaline
> batteries may be used.  I'm curious, though, if anyone has used
> rechargeable batteries, the type, and how it affected the IIIx.
> Basically, is there a reason why I have to keep tossing batteries away?
>     Furthermore, I notice that there is a program available called
> BatteryInfo V 1.2 which claims to be able to re-calibrate the IIIx for
> rechargeable NiCad batteries.  Yet the program writer clearly states
> that 3Com thinks this is a really bad idea?  Again, why?
>     Does it mess with the battery sensing algorithm?

> Thanks for any answers.

1. Batteries for IIIx

Hello again.
Have any US or Canadian users used the at least two (or even all three)
of the following batteries in their Palm unit, and if so, have you
noticed any differences in length of operation, power level, etc.
between them? I'm interested in finding out.
  Duracell Ultra
  Energizer Advanced Formula
  Ray-O-Vac Maximum Formula (Michael Jordan's face on pkg!)
I'm concentrating on these two nations since I don't know whether these
brands are sold outisde North America.

Thanks!

--
Josh W. Spencer
Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA

2. Weg Pages State

3. About the batteries for IIIx

4. Config failure under Solaris 2.4

5. Rechargable batteries and IIIx...which kind?

6. Queueing Networks

7. How long do batteries in IIIx last?

8. Small holes in small parts

9. Alarm unreliable with Rechargeable Batteries in IIIx

10. Battery drain on Palm iiix

11. Voltage fluctuation problem with Nicad batteries in Palm IIIx

12. Sudden battery drain on IIIx!!! Help!

13. Palm IIIx battery draining