OS 3.5: doe it make sense to upgrade

Post by Ruud van der Ha » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:32:16

I am a user of an upgraded Palm V and was wondering whether it is worthwile
to upgrade to the latest version of Palm OS (3.5).
I am working with quite some third party software (DateBk4, various
hackmaster hacks, ...), so some of the offered additional functionality is
already covered by them.

Any opinions on this?
Are  there any compatibility problems with older applications?

OS 3.5: doe it make sense to upgrade

Post by chris » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:49:42

the other way round:
i am using a IIIx with os 3.3 and are now looking for os 3.5.
[obviously, thats the first software i really will have to buy :-((]
therefore, i just want to know if  there are real improvements, "worth" to
upgrade.

thanks for any (related) comments.
chrisu

Post by Mr T » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:43:12

> I am a user of an upgraded Palm V and was wondering whether it is
> worthwile
> to upgrade to the latest version of Palm OS (3.5).
> I am working with quite some third party software (DateBk4, various
> hackmaster hacks, ...), so some of the offered additional functionality
> is
> already covered by them.

> Any opinions on this?
> Are  there any compatibility problems with older applications?

3.5 has major problems if you try to buy a downloaded version, due to
their convoluted method of downloading.
Palm is aware of this problem but is keeping quiet.
You run the risk of locking up your unit and having it be sent to Repair
to purge the failed upload. This happened twice to me.

--
Kurt

anti-spam measure:
to reply send to: onlyusernameleft at earthlink dot net

OS 3.5: doe it make sense to upgrade

Post by <missioncontr.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:45:39

My Palm V also locked up (2 days after installing the purchased download of
OS 3.5 upgrade.)  Could not successfully reset.  Hard reset failed.  Battery
rundown failed.  Unit was replaced by Palm.

And the replacement was delayed because they had to wait for a replacement
unit to become available - for some unknown reason they were out of stock.

Dan Mayer

Post by Tumblewee » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:14:17

> > I am a user of an upgraded Palm V and was wondering whether it is
> > worthwile
> > to upgrade to the latest version of Palm OS (3.5).
> > I am working with quite some third party software (DateBk4, various
> > hackmaster hacks, ...), so some of the offered additional functionality
> > is
> > already covered by them.

> > Any opinions on this?
> > Are  there any compatibility problems with older applications?

My understanding is that 3.5 also uses a couple hundred more K of memory
than 3.3 which to me is the critical reason for not upgrading. (never mind
that its reputedly slower as well)

FWIW the components of the MIK will run happily on 3.3 if that is the reason
you are looking to upgrade. (or at least email and phoneman do in mine)

Tw

--
please remove 'spam' before replying by email
Give a hungry person a free meal when you visit

OS 3.5: doe it make sense to upgrade

Post by Evan Man » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 07:50:13

Quote:> My understanding is that 3.5 also uses a couple hundred more K of memory
> than 3.3 which to me is the critical reason for not upgrading. (never mind
> that its reputedly slower as well)

System (OS 3.5) - 36K
Update 3.5.2  - 5K
Graffiti - 15K
Other stock apps - 10K

That not even 100K.

You have probably seeing memory leak problems that can cause a system to
leak into 1.5 MEGs of size (at least that's what I've read).  A program
called Victor 3.5 will fix this and bring your System back to the size it
should be.

Quote:> FWIW the components of the MIK will run happily on 3.3 if that is the

Post by Rob Gendrea » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 06:45:59

> My Palm V also locked up (2 days after installing the purchased download
> of
> OS 3.5 upgrade.)  Could not successfully reset.  Hard reset failed.
> Battery
> rundown failed.  Unit was replaced by Palm.

The 3.5 downloaded upgrade hosed my IIIx. Tech support told me tough, I
should have read the read me and that Palm would NOT replace my unit.
Fortunately I was able to reload 3.3. Make sure you can get your unit
repaired before you do an upgrade. YMMV.

1. Upgraded from OS 3.3 to OS 3.5 DR4 - observations

I upgraded my IIIx to the same version and I have noticed the same
things.

In addition, I can't get any of the icons that show up on the screen
when I do the command stroke to work.  For example, if I highlight
some text, then do a command stroke which brings up the small
window with the cut, paste, etc. icons on it and hit the 'Cut' icon, the
text isn't cut.  If it use the command stroke and use the old method
(write an 'x') the text is cut.  Has anyone else had the same
experience or is there something wrong with my install?

-Ed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. To Creatures Fans

3. Palm III in Rhinopak 2000 - makes sense?

4. display folders with old unread emails

5. Palm Vx Upgrade OS 3.5 to 4.1

6. Weekly list FAQ posting

7. OS upgrade 3.3 to 3.5

8. HELP :: \leaders in internal vertical mode

9. Upgrade Palm OS 3.5 to 3.5.3 problem

10. No IBM Wordpad 2 upgrade to OS 3.5?

11. OS Upgrade 3.5

12. Upgrading from OS 3.3 to 3.5

13. OS 3.5 Upgrade Installs Desktop 3.1!!!