Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Dan Hamilto » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:36:40

Any Ideas?

Mine would be a Color Palm VII with 8MB and the new expansion slot.  If Palm
offers that in the spring then, I'll ditch my IIIxe

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by dss.. » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:31:46

Quote:> Any Ideas?

> Mine would be a Color Palm VII with 8MB and the new expansion slot.
If Palm
> offers that in the spring then, I'll ditch my IIIxe

In no paticular order:

Multitasking OS
Microphone
True built-in sound speaker (playing mp3's)
Headphone Jack
Expansion slot (compact flash)
100mhz Processor
1 gig IBM microdrive
128 meg Ram
Flash capabilities
Color Screen
Jog Dial
Internal Modem
Internal am/fm/tv tuner
MP3 player
Wireless (blue took & mobile)
6-8 week battery life
USB docking station
Waterproof/weatherproof
Voice Recognition
{your idea here}

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Nick » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 05:15:09

Oh, you just described a PocketPC. Shame on you ;) They've done most of
that, or atleast come close to it. Except the 8 week battery (I ditched both
my 620lx and my Cassiopeia E-100 because of their battery times. If its
measured in hours, not days, I don't even want to see it).

Nick

> > Any Ideas?

> > Mine would be a Color Palm VII with 8MB and the new expansion slot.
> If Palm
> > offers that in the spring then, I'll ditch my IIIxe

> In no paticular order:

> Multitasking OS
> Microphone
> True built-in sound speaker (playing mp3's)
> Headphone Jack
> Expansion slot (compact flash)
> 100mhz Processor
> 1 gig IBM microdrive
> 128 meg Ram
> Flash capabilities
> Color Screen
> Jog Dial
> Internal Modem
> Internal am/fm/tv tuner
> MP3 player
> Wireless (blue took & mobile)
> 6-8 week battery life
> USB docking station
> Waterproof/weatherproof
> Voice Recognition
> {your idea here}

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by oooieo » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:00:20

My ideal of a Palm would include a folding screen along the lines of the
folding keyboard and it would have a higher resolution than the 160 x 160.

oooieoo

--------------

Quote:> Any Ideas?

Post by Small Gr » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:28:47

<< My ideal of a Palm would include a folding screen along the lines of the
folding keyboard and it would have a higher resolution than the 160 x 160.

oooieoo >>

I would like a Swiss Army Palm with things that fold or slide out from the
sides (scissors, nail file, etc.).   Any inventors listening?  :-)

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Steven G. Tyle » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:42:36

> My ideal of a Palm would include a folding screen along the lines of the
> folding keyboard and it would have a higher resolution than the 160 x 160.

Nice, but would you be able to look at it on your lap? ;-)
--

Steve on Cattail Creek (Steven G. Tyler, Esq.)

        The Computer Counselor - Technology Consulting for the Law Office

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by oooieo » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:11:37

Well, of course you could look at it on your lap. In a DreamWorld, you can
do anything a'tall. :D

oooieoo

-------------------------------------

> > My ideal of a Palm would include a folding screen along the lines of the
> > folding keyboard and it would have a higher resolution than the 160 x
160.

> Nice, but would you be able to look at it on your lap? ;-)
> --

> Steve on Cattail Creek (Steven G. Tyler, Esq.)

> The Computer Counselor - Technology Consulting for the Law Office

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by oooieo » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:12:58

How about a Swiss Army Stylus? <g>

oooieoo

------------------

Quote:> << My ideal of a Palm would include a folding screen along the lines of
the
> folding keyboard and it would have a higher resolution than the 160 x 160.

> oooieoo >>

> I would like a Swiss Army Palm with things that fold or slide out from the
> sides (scissors, nail file, etc.).   Any inventors listening?  :-)

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Luis Fernande » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:36:46

Buttons with pictograms that don't ever fade (*ahem*)
Survive being sat on by a 200 lb. gorilla (or human)
Survive being accidently dropped 4' onto a concrete floor (actually,
    my Visor survived this with just the springboard cover popping
    off but I would not willing demonstrate this again)

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Darth Republica » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:06:09

I sensed a great disturbance in The Force. My mind searched the ether

Quote:> Any Ideas?

> Mine would be a Color Palm VII with 8MB and the new expansion slot.  If Palm
> offers that in the spring then, I'll ditch my IIIxe

Palm V form factor.
16-bit Color with 320x320 resolution.
Black and white models can stay at 160x160 IMHO.
Left and right arrow keys in addition to up and down.
16 to 32MB of memory.
Springboard slot (with a 16MB flash module)
Mini-icons in silkscreen area with Switch-hack or App/DA Launcher
functionality.
Flip cover.
Four week battery life.

Software:
Datebk4
Wordprocessor and spreadsheet
Word completion software

--

Roberto Castillo

http://www.enteract.com/~castillo

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Peter da Sil » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:32:18

Quote:>16-bit Color with 320x320 resolution.
>Black and white models can stay at 160x160 IMHO.

I don't care about color, but higher resolution is a must. 240x320 would
be adequate.

Quote:>Left and right arrow keys in addition to up and down.

Jog wheel.

Quote:>16 to 32MB of memory.

16M flash, 32M RAM.

Quote:>Springboard slot (with a 16MB flash module)

Not in a Palm V form factor.

Quote:>Mini-icons in silkscreen area with Switch-hack or App/DA Launcher
>functionality.

No separate silk area... icons and graffiti area part of the display.

Quote:>Four week battery life.

Not in a Palm V form factor.

--
Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC.                                       WWFD?

"Be conservative in what you generate, and liberal in what you accept"
        -- Matthew 10:16 (l.trans)

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by William Tanksl » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:54:03

>>16-bit Color with 320x320 resolution.
>>Black and white models can stay at 160x160 IMHO.
>I don't care about color, but higher resolution is a must. 240x320 would
>be adequate.

Agreed.  Higher contrast would be *excellent*.

Quote:>>Left and right arrow keys in addition to up and down.
>Jog wheel.

Even better: a jog dot, like the pencil-erasor mice on some laptops and my
desktop keyboard (I _love_ those things).

Quote:>>16 to 32MB of memory.
>16M flash, 32M RAM.

At current prices, yes.

Alternately, 4M of flash and an MMC slot.

Quote:>>Springboard slot (with a 16MB flash module)
>Not in a Palm V form factor.

Add in a much tougher screen, and it might actually be possible.  Even
without a tough screen it might be possible to come *close* to this.

Quote:>>Mini-icons in silkscreen area with Switch-hack or App/DA Launcher
>>functionality.
>No separate silk area... icons and graffiti area part of the display.

If the display surface were on the top of the screen, this would be great
-- FitalyStamp would otherwise lose accuracy.

Quote:>>Four week battery life.
>Not in a Palm V form factor.

Party pooper.  ;-)

It might actually be possible -- there are some interesting-looking new
batteries.

Quote:>Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC.                                   WWFD?

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by zoar » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:59:07

Quote:> >Mini-icons in silkscreen area with Switch-hack or App/DA Launcher
> >functionality.

> No separate silk area... icons and graffiti area part of the display.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.... This is something I've been hoping for
almost since I got my Palm. The idea of minimising the grafitti area
while doing things like reading docs of viewing maps has always appealed
to me....

        -z-

--
-- Windows has detected a random error. This error
-- occurs once in a while. Please wait.

Dream Palm Pilot

Post by Peter da Sil » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:20:24

>> >Mini-icons in silkscreen area with Switch-hack or App/DA Launcher
>> >functionality.
>> No separate silk area... icons and graffiti area part of the display.
>Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.... This is something I've been hoping for
>almost since I got my Palm. The idea of minimising the grafitti area
>while doing things like reading docs of viewing maps has always appealed
>to me....

Just make sure that programs don't start assuming they've got that space
for anything they want. On the PPC there's a few programs that you need
to use Transcriber on because the other input methods obscure part of the
display.

--

Post by zoar » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:30:19

> >> No separate silk area... icons and graffiti area part of the display.

> >Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.... This is something I've been hoping for
> >almost since I got my Palm. The idea of minimising the grafitti area
> >while doing things like reading docs of viewing maps has always appealed
> >to me....

> Just make sure that programs don't start assuming they've got that space
> for anything they want. On the PPC there's a few programs that you need
> to use Transcriber on because the other input methods obscure part of the
> display.

Hmmm, yes. Hadn't thought of that.

There must be some way of doing it without trusting the s/w developers
to leave that space 'free'... *thinks*

        -z-

--
-- Windows has detected a random error. This error
-- occurs once in a while. Please wait.
--

1. MY Dream Palm! KeepItSimple

Anybody else wish that Palm would realize that sometimes the KISS rule
really does work?

I'm perfectly fine that some people, possibly the majority, are happy
with, even needful of, all the bells and whistles that are slathered
all over PDAs these days, but doesn't Palm realize there is a happy
medium somewhere in between?

Even with their Zire model, Palm went from bare bones basic, to "Holy
shit, what CAN'T I do with this?" with nothing in between.

Yes, that's an exaggeration, but the point stands.

I'm in a position in which I cannot have a camera on my PDA. I can't
have Bluetooth, I can't have WiFi, I can't have voice recording, I
can't have MP3 playback.  Because of this, I, and others who don't
want/need bells and whistles, are left out in the cold.

I have a M505.  I love it, but feel cheated that I can't take
advantage of some of the advances made by Palm because they couple
them with things that preclude me from owning the newer Palms.

That said, here is My Dream Palm (tm)

M505 Body
SD/MMC
128MB RAM (Heck, I'd be happy with 64)
320x320 Color Screen
OS5 (which entails the new processor)
Good old fashioned Graffiti

That's it.  No sliding hidden graffiti area, no 5-way navigation
button, (well, okay, that might be nice) no jog dial, no built-in
thumbboard, just a basic, yet powerful PDA. A *PDA*, not a recording
studio, not a portrait studio, not a cell phone, a PD*Assistant*.

How come it's so hard for Palm to understand that there might just be
a market for such a beast out here?

Anybody else feel the same?

--
Mitch
"While I am new to these things, I cannot help wondering whether it

2. SQL*Loader format needed

3. Palm Dream Case

4. Help Partition of hard Disk

5. Finding Palm Accessories in Australia -- dream on!

6. Distributed video and IR

7. Palm Service Dream

8. FS: Sun 3/80 machines w/MG4 $80

9. Dream Jobs @ Palm

10. Rio/Palm V Dream Machine

11. Dream calendar week view using cliƩs hi res

12. ANN: CASLsoft Kicks Off "Live the Dream" Campaign

13. PdS 115th dream was: Future of pdas