Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by Bud Pirain » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 09:50:06

I heard today that there is a difference in screen brightness between the
Palm 505 made in the USA and the same model made in Europe. Is this true? If
so, which is brighter and how do I go about finding the brighter model?
Which one does Amazon.com carry? I was thinking of ordering from them.

Thanks,

Bud

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by eMeL » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 11:44:17

Quote:> I heard today that there is a difference in screen brightness between the
> Palm 505 made in the USA and the same model made in Europe. Is this true?
If
> so, which is brighter and how do I go about finding the brighter model?
> Which one does Amazon.com carry? I was thinking of ordering from them.

ALL evidence of systematic differences in screen brightness between the US
and Hungarian-made units is  purely anecdotal and often of the  highly
emotionally charged variety, which lowers my level of confidence even
further.

In my experience (I own the Hungarian-assembled model - many of my coworkers
use USA-assembled ones) any *existing* differences in screen brightness may
be accounted for by sample-to-sample variations.  But...Apart from slight
variations of the sidelight hue from sample to sample (regardless of the
origin of the unit) from *slightly* pinkish to *slightly* bluefish, I
haven't seen any variations in screen brightness.

But by all means, get the one that looks brighter to you!  After all you'll
be using it and your opinion is the only thing that should matter to you.

Michael

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by Joshua I, R » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 00:33:58

I've owned both and had them side-by-side and I couldn't tell any
difference in screen brightness at all.

Josh

--
Remove XSPAM from email address to mail me

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by Jon Weave » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 01:03:08

I have had 3 Hungarian models and all 3 are different!

However, I had chance to compare the first 2 side by side and the screens were
indeed different.

When powered off, the first on had a darker screen (a browny colour) than the
2nd one.. In total darkness, the 2nd one was definatly brighter, but only about
5%.

Its not the difference between where it was made, I think that its a batch of
components which are different.

However, saying that.. The differences were very subtle and not enough to
discharge the debate about peoples view on the screen...

Jon

> I heard today that there is a difference in screen brightness between the
> Palm 505 made in the USA and the same model made in Europe. Is this true? If
> so, which is brighter and how do I go about finding the brighter model?
> Which one does Amazon.com carry? I was thinking of ordering from them.

> Thanks,

> Bud

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by Kevi » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:38:22

according to palm there is no difference - see palms site at
http://205.141.210.149/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=72,E=00000000000...
0,K=7695,Sxi=5,Case=obj(8920)

(the above is a single link address. if your viewer splits it over two lines
you may need to copy and paste it into your browser.  If it doesn't work
goto www.palm.com/support and click on
knowledgefinder then "Hot issues")

Peters  pilot page(s)  http://www.pstec.de/ppp/index.html      have an
excellent technical breakdown on the Palm m505 (and all the other Palms)
including photos of the components.  I myself have a m505 (Hungarian) and
quite happy with it.

hope this is of help

Kevin

Quote:> I heard today that there is a difference in screen brightness between the
> Palm 505 made in the USA and the same model made in Europe. Is this true?
If
> so, which is brighter and how do I go about finding the brighter model?
> Which one does Amazon.com carry? I was thinking of ordering from them.

> Thanks,

> Bud

Difference between US made and Europe made Palm 505?

Post by CharlesP » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 14:51:36

"The images above are showing both sides of the color LCD used in the first
m505 I had for this review. It was produced in the USA and the LCD came from
Sony. Menawhile I have a unit for my personal use which was produced in
Hungary. In that m505 a screen from LG is used (it looks a bit different on the
backside) and I have the impression, the Sony screen was slightly better
(better contrast) - but I might be wrong, the difference is probably
academical. " - From Peter's Pilot Page

Like everything else, YMMV, but I've found that my US model does indeed have a
better contrast than my first Hungarian model.

1. Malaysian-made vs. U.S.-made PalmIII

Someone recently mentioned having noticed a difference between the Malaysian
made PalmIII's and the American made ones. (the serial number sticker on the
back of the device says where it was made).

I can't remember which was which, but I thought someone said one or the
other was more likely to have problems with the casing fitting, and with the
infrared send and receive, or something like that.

Has anyone else out there noticed any trend?

Can the original poster please elaborate?

thanks...

-rx

2. File Type Question - Omnisky

3. Companion for Palm Vx - What's the difference between the US & Europe Versions?

4. Pocket Outlook - Delete all contacts belonging to a category

5. Palm III, difference between US and Europe version?

6. Monitor pixel Drift Problem

7. Upgrading to Palm III: Difference US/EUROPE ??

8. Dead cdrom

9. U.S. made m505's in Toronto?

10. 505 Brghtness hack--US already has it?

11. FS: M500 (M505,M515) Series Hard Case (Made by Palm):

12. when synchronysing palm makes copioes of folders and requires a reset?

13. req: Lost the link to the site that makes palm stay on all the time