Will 505 HotSynch w/ serial/USB adapter...?

Will 505 HotSynch w/ serial/USB adapter...?

Post by Amato » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:26:37

This is probably a stupid question, but I'd like to upgrade to a 505 or 515,
except one of the locations I'd like to HotSynch at frequently has no USB
ports, just parallel/serial connections (very old machine).  I've seen
adapters/cables that allow HotSynch of serial cradles (IIx, etc.) TO a USB port
-- since USB is bi-directional, could such a cable (plus a gender change
adapter) take the USB HotSynch cable of a 505 and plug into a serial connection
on a computer?  Thanks in advance for understanding my computer ignorance!
Edward

Will 505 HotSynch w/ serial/USB adapter...?

Post by Pau » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:42:59

Quote:>This is probably a stupid question, but I'd like to upgrade to a 505 or 515,
>except one of the locations I'd like to HotSynch at frequently has no USB
>ports, just parallel/serial connections (very old machine).  I've seen
>adapters/cables that allow HotSynch of serial cradles (IIx, etc.) TO a USB port
>-- since USB is bi-directional, could such a cable (plus a gender change
>adapter) take the USB HotSynch cable of a 505 and plug into a serial connection
>on a computer?  Thanks in advance for understanding my computer ignorance!
>Edward

Edward, no, what you want to do is buy the optional serial cradle for
the M505.  Been awhile since I bought mine, but seems like it was
about $29.

~ Paul

Will 505 HotSynch w/ serial/USB adapter...?

Post by Amato » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:15:09

Paul -
Great!  That's a lot easier...hadn't heard one was available, though it seems
like common sense.  Thanks for the help!
Quote:>what you want to do is buy the optional serial cradle for
>the M505

1. Mac USB 505 hotsynch

I bought a (Hungarian) 505 and don't mind the screen etc. but I can't
get any of my third party software onto it from my Vx because the
hotsynch quits with any long file, either from BackupBuddy or the
Installer.

I'm running Macintosh beige G3 with Ratoc firewire/USB PCI card (works
fine for everything else), >350 Megs RAM. Several small applications
(e.g. 2Calc) installed from backup buddy without problem but can't get
past epocrates. Tried reinstalling epocrates from installer rather than
backup without success. Uninstalled the Palm desktop and reinstalled
latest version, 2.6.3, no help. Serial hotsynch with my Vx works fine.

Can anyone help me with this? Palm support can't so far.

2. Lotus Fax Server, LN:DI and MSS questions.

3. Serial sync via USB serial adapter?

4. Best software for copying (or ripping) those hard to copy cd-rs

5. USB to Serial and Serial to USB

6. Merlin's Cavern 4/6/00 Update (Pascal Source Code)

7. Mac USB Kit or Serial via KeySpan Serial to USB

8. SMG's Announced Market Withdrawl

9. Visor hotsynch USB-serial port question

10. FA: Palm m100 with RhinoSkin case and keyspan serial-->Usb adapter

11. Belkin serial/USB adapter + OS X, Anyone?

12. USB to Serial Adapter