Pocket Quicken

Post by Ed Denhof » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Pocket Quicken, which was slated to be available "late December", is now:

(quoted from landWare site)
Availability
Windows: Pocket Quicken will be available January 99
Macintosh: Q1 1999.
(endquote)

Having ordered my copy quite a while ago, I was looking forward to delivery
within days.
Guess it's not to be (sigh).

Pocket Quicken

Post by C » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Pocket Quicken, which was slated to be available "late December", is now:

> (quoted from landWare site)
> Availability
> Windows: Pocket Quicken will be available January 99
> Macintosh: Q1 1999.
> (endquote)

> Having ordered my copy quite a while ago, I was looking forward to delivery
> within days.
> Guess it's not to be (sigh).

Is this really that surprising?  Not sure if this is related, but I ended
up waiting almost 2 months for my keyboard from Landware-and then I waited
another 2 weeks for the software to make it work with my Pilot.  Sample
size of one-but I am not sure I would trust these guys to get out their
product on time.

cl

Pocket Quicken

Post by Greg Trano » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know where I can find a 9600 baud external modem which runs
off of batteries?

I see a lot of talk about grabbing e-mail with the PIII.  I was
wondering how 3com can sell their cute little portable modems for such a
high price, when I suspect you could accomplish the same thing with a
modem cable and an external modem.

anyone tried this?

Greg Tranor

  chemtech.vcf
< 1K Download

Pocket Quicken

Post by Ed Denhof » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>: Pocket Quicken, which was slated to be available "late December", is now:

>: (quoted from landWare site)
>: Availability
>: Windows: Pocket Quicken will be available January 99
>: Macintosh: Q1 1999.
>: (endquote)

>: Having ordered my copy quite a while ago, I was looking forward to
delivery
>: within days.
>: Guess it's not to be (sigh).

>I went another way, and downloaded the shareware program QMate.  The
>interface isn't quite as automatic, but it works well for me.  When you
>hotsync, it creates a .QIF file that you simply import into Quicken.

>It can import your memorized transactions and categories from your desktop
>Quicken, and the registered version handles splits, as well.  Good
>functionality, not too big, and lots cheaper than Pocket Quicken.

The Pocket Quicken update is going to cost me $15 (more...I currently use
their MicroMoney program, which of course initially cost plenty more than
QMate) but am looking forward to having the whole process automated. Guess
I'll just have to wait.....

Pocket Quicken

Post by Ed Denhof » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> Pocket Quicken, which was slated to be available "late December", is now:

>> (quoted from landWare site)
>> Availability
>> Windows: Pocket Quicken will be available January 99
>> Macintosh: Q1 1999.
>> (endquote)

>> Having ordered my copy quite a while ago, I was looking forward to
delivery
>> within days.
>> Guess it's not to be (sigh).

>Is this really that surprising?  Not sure if this is related, but I ended
>up waiting almost 2 months for my keyboard from Landware-and then I waited
>another 2 weeks for the software to make it work with my Pilot.  Sample
>size of one-but I am not sure I would trust these guys to get out their
>product on time.

I've never had any problem in dealing with Landware. I received my keyboard
2 or 3 days after it was ordered
(I didn't reserve one in advance....go figure?) , and in fact they've always
been responsive with me. I guess there can be production problems delaying
expected products (MS does that all the time), but nonetheless it's
disappointing just the same.

Pocket Quicken

Post by Tim McNama » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know where I can find a 9600 baud external modem which runs
> off of batteries?

> I see a lot of talk about grabbing e-mail with the PIII.  I was
> wondering how 3com can sell their cute little portable modems for such a
> high price, when I suspect you could accomplish the same thing with a
> modem cable and an external modem.

3Com makes a modem cable for use with (if I understand properly)
PC-compatible modems (not Mac-compatible modems with have some sort of
different requirement in wiring the pins).  As far as *battery powered*
modems go, there was a Pocket Modem sold a number of years ago which was
battery driven but was only a 2400.

I have the 3Com modem and its performance is seamless.  I was able to
dialup my ISP within about 5 minutes, which was longer than would have
been necessary.  Just have all the relevant ISP information available and
its a cinch.  Much easier to configure than Open Transport or MacPPP or
FreePPP.

Pocket Quicken

Post by Mark Eichi » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've actually seen a "pocket modem", about the size of a pack of
cigarettes (if anyone knows what those look like anymore :-) which
runs off a 9V  battery and does 14.4K;  Would work well enough with
the pilot but I loaned it to a friend for use as an external laptop
modem :-)

Pocket Quicken

Post by brian tall » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've actually seen a "pocket modem", about the size of a pack of
>cigarettes (if anyone knows what those look like anymore :-) which
>runs off a 9V  battery and does 14.4K;  Would work well enough with
>the pilot but I loaned it to a friend for use as an external laptop
>modem :-)

For those who may have missed my first message, I want to let you know
that I still have some Practical Peripherals 2400b data/9600b fax pocket
modems (a bit smaller than the size of a pack of cigarettes, actually)
for sale. Units are unused and cost $20 + shipping. Send email to me

click on 'Online Store' if you're interested.

Regards,

--Brian

Pocket Quicken

Post by John Fracisc » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Don't forget the update of Quicken itself to Quicken '99 is required for
"Pocket Quicken".  QMate (and I imagine MicroMoney) works with the older
versions of Quicken, too.

John Fracisco

> The Pocket Quicken update is going to cost me $15 (more...I currently use
> their MicroMoney program, which of course initially cost plenty more than
> QMate) but am looking forward to having the whole process automated. Guess
> I'll just have to wait.....

Pocket Quicken

Post by Mike Ruite » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Regarding "Pocket Quicken", is it currently available?  I haven't seen it yet.
I was about to buy QMate.  Should I get PQ instead?

Mike Ruiter

> Don't forget the update of Quicken itself to Quicken '99 is required for
> "Pocket Quicken".  QMate (and I imagine MicroMoney) works with the older
> versions of Quicken, too.

Pocket Quicken

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer... » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Regarding "Pocket Quicken", is it currently available?  I haven't seen it yet.
>I was about to buy QMate.  Should I get PQ instead?

Probably not.  PQ is incredible primative.  It is designed to work on
credit card sized organizers.