IR - Visor SMS and Email

Post by Martin » Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I thought I would share my experiences of using SMS (small
message service) and email with the Visor.  Linking using IR
with a mobile phone (in my case a Siemens S25).

I downloaded a couple of SMS programs, Monkeymessenger and Fun
SMS. Monkeymessenger appeared to work but when I got home and
tried to hotsynch I found the Visor was locked up.  The only way
to free it was to do a softreset.  This was unfortunate because
I had already registered the product thinking it worked :-(
Monkeymessenger does not use the enhanced IR program.

Because the OS of the visor is only 3.1 it does not have the
enhanced IR features of the OS 3.3.  Unfortunately it is not
totally upgradable using the Palm enhanced IR program.  Luckily
a program called IRLINK from www.iscomplete.com can be used.  As
well as allowing the communications with a phone it also allows
IR hotsynching which maybe useful for some people.

My next attempt was with using Fun SMS.  At $US 29 it is not
cheap but I have to say the design of the interface is
excellent.  One of the nicest programs I have seen visually.  It
also works well with IRLINK.  No problems!  Very easy to set up,
UK service providers telephone numbers are already included.  I
will register this product despite the high cost but I do think
it is a little over priced.

A word of warning, the evaluation copy Monkeymessenger allows
you to type in a full message but only sends the first few words
and its own company details.  This can be very confusing to
people receiving messages!  In contrast Fun SMS allows you to
send twenty free messages before it has to be registered.

In addition to using SMS I have also set up an email program
MsgAgent.  Who said the best things in life are not free!  This
is an excellent program, very easy to set up and works like a
dream thanks Hiroyuki.  I tried using Proximail, which I have
used on my Palm III with a modem but I kept getting an smtp
error.

I did consider trying MultiMail PRO, as this gets very good
reviews, however as Palm have recently purchased  Actual
software and announced they plan to introduce a new internet
suit of programs.  I e-mailed them to see if currently
registered owners would get future upgrades.  I got a bit of a
confusing answer I have not heard of this new Palm internet
package, but since Actual Software was purchased by Palm, Inc.
in June I am assuming that MultiMail will not conflict with this
new software.   I think I will wait.

So there it is I hope my trials are useful to other Visor users
wanting to set up communications devices.  I Have to admit that
I did not realise that I would have to purchase an extra program
to make Visor/telephone communications work.  Unlike Palm owners
that get the facility included in the operating system.  I do
think Handspring need to address this with at least an upgrade
patch.

Cheers

Martin

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

1. IR - Visor for SMS and E-mail

[...]

2. Strange IPCP-Negotiation??

3. Visor IR/USB e-mail

4. Slow response, jerky movement of curson

5. SMS/e-mail etc

6. Suppress backup during hotsync?

7. Experiment using Palm and SMS on GSM phones to send emails

8. Disk read error

9. E-mail or SMS from datebook

10. Using SMS in Treo for email

11. SMS via IR-Link from Palm Pilot to Accompli 008

12. Sending SMS using HandPhone SMS

13. Visor Q, IR Link or 3Com IR update???