Problem: Pilot won't respond to pen touches ANYWHERE!

Problem: Pilot won't respond to pen touches ANYWHERE!

Post by cleve » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm having a problem with my Pilot 5000. In short, sometimes when I try
to use my pilot, it will not recognize any pen touches at all on the
touch screen-- i.e. it is completely unresponsive to any pen touch,
whether it be on the main screen, the grafitti area, or the silkscreeen
buttons (calc, apps, menu, find). There is no response. The power switch
and the utility buttons do work during these episodes. When this first
happened I tried a soft and hard reset-- to no avail. The problem
persisted. Alas, I gave the pilot a small whack on the side and, voila!
it began to work properly again. However, this problem is starting to
occur every time I turn the pilot on now. This pilot has been kept in
mint condition and has never been dropped, crushed, abused, etc, and
therefore must be an intrinsic defect in the unit. What can I do to get
this fixed?
Pilot Support suggested that I try to reseat the memory board, which I
did and which did not help. Any ideas? Thank you very much in advance
for your help.

-Mike Ciaschini

Problem: Pilot won't respond to pen touches ANYWHERE!

Post by Aidan Killia » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
    I had exactly this problem with a new Palm III. After getting fed up
waiting
for a return authorisation from Software.net I sent it to the Palm service
centre in France. They returned the unit in perfect working order.

    Unfortunately it happened again one week later. This time they sent a
replacement (not new) and I was able to compare them. My original was
made in the USA and rattled when shaken; the new one was made in
Malasia and didnt rattle.

    While I was waiting for the replacement I gave the original a lite slap
on
the back and it started working again; but I went ahead with the
replacement.
I did not have the nerve to open the back; I was given the impression by
both Software.net and Palm service that doing so would invalidate
returnability
/warranty.

    Only good things to say about Palm service. Not so sure about
Software.net

</>Aidan

Post by Lawrence Che » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>     Unfortunately it happened again one week later. This time they sent a
> replacement (not new) and I was able to compare them. My original was
> made in the USA and rattled when shaken; the new one was made in
> Malasia and didnt rattle.

Speaking of rattle....I got my PIII just last week...and its "Made in USA",
and it had a rattle.  It crashed 3 times during SYNCs (requiring hard
resets)....I got courageous and opened it up.  The top clip on the memory card
had broken off.  I reseated the memory card and haven't had any problems since
(knock on wood, but not my PIII 8-)....except having to do a few semi-soft
resets from installing errant Hacks.

I think eventually, I'll be seeing about an 8MB card for it.  I haven't
transferred all my data from my Newton over yet. (has anybody written a tool
for this yet?)  Next step is to hand re-enter all my Notes.  (of course, I'm
kind of used to this...since some of them date back to my Casio days [1990-94]
or Sharp [1994-96]....seems I'm buying new toys sooner and sooner.)

[Newton (1996-1998), PPpro (1997-1998), PIII (1998-)  I gave the Casio away,
and the PPpro grew legs....]

--

     2715 Tuller Parkway                URL: http://www.aprnet.com
     Dublin, OH  43017         Currently at: OpenText/IDI   614-761-7449

Post by Georg Oeh » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I haven't transferred all my data from my Newton over yet. (has
> anybody written a tool for this yet?)

No, but importing your addresses is "relatively" easy. I did the same in
April, exported addresses with NCU from my MP120 in CSV-format, merged
some fields in the file and imported it into Pilot Desktop.

Quote:> Next step is to hand re-enter all my Notes.

You can import your notes just as easily as the addresses.

Georg

Problem: Pilot won't respond to pen touches ANYWHERE!

Post by Gerald Ko » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I had this problem last night.  I opened up the back of the Palm III and
pressed the memory card in again, for giggles.  I noticed that there is a
ribbon connector on the back too.  In the Palm III, at least, this and the
memory card look like the only removable items.  Anyway, the ribbon
connector had gotten loose.  I assume it connected the touch screen to the
logic board, because when I pushed it all the way in everything worked
again.  M*of the story.  I drop my Palm III at least once a week.  I
guess I should learn to be more careful with it :)

BTW, does opening the back invalidate my warranty. (Reply by email too to

Gerry (I mean Fred)

--
Gerald Koh
Content Engineer

phone: 970.845.2182
fax: 970.845.2150
AOL Instant Messenger: SpaceBoomr
--
"Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created
them." - Albert Einstein

1. Lower left part of touch screen won't respond

Hello all.  My friend wanted me to post this question for him.  I told
him about "my" Palm newsgroup and now he thinks it is some all-knowing
Palm oracle.  That's a compliment to all you guys... anyway, the lower
left portion of his screen either doesn't respond to the stylus or
responds erratically-- it registers a tap on some totally different
part of the screen.  The rest of the screen works normally.  He sent
it in to get it fixed and it's still having the problem.  Tried
re-digitizing several times and it doesn't work.  Graffiti writing
works most of the time, but the Home silkscreen icon has to be tapped
several times to get it to work right.

Any ideas?

~Aaron

2. Query's Speed

3. Chameleon Pen won't stay put in M505 - other stylus/pens?

4. Where can I find World games

5. Touch sensitive display doesn't respond

6. indentations in c-mode

7. Why won't people respond to my questions

8. Can I print on a printer with its internal fonts using PASSTHROUGH parameter of Win32 API's Escape function?

9. Pen/stylus won't write

10. Touch screen not responding

11. touch screen not responding

12. Help: Palm IIIx Touch Screen Not Responding

13. Palmpilot Professional - Touch Screen Not Responding