Samsung I300 Screen Problem

Post by Jeff » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 09:51:04

Anyone have an I300 with the following problem?

Vertical ghosting or streaking.  Noticeable on the main LCD when contrast
is set correctly, but really apparent if darkened up.  Seems that what is
displayed on part of the screen affects other parts above or below.
Go to Address.  On mine, the dotted line in the middle has a ghost
image below it down into the Graffiti area.  The blue area that the
home and menu buttons are in seems to darken the columns above it.
Looking at that blue area, it changes depending what is displayed
above it: solid in Hotsync 'cause nothing above, while verically
streaky in Datebook due to the times above.

Anyone else getting this, or know what causes this type of behavior in LCDs?

Thanks,
Jeff

Samsung I300 Screen Problem

Post by Peng Lor » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:07:51

I notice the ghosting myself, not sure what causes it...

Peng Lord

Quote:> Anyone have an I300 with the following problem?

> Vertical ghosting or streaking.  Noticeable on the main LCD when contrast
> is set correctly, but really apparent if darkened up.  Seems that what is
> displayed on part of the screen affects other parts above or below.
> Go to Address.  On mine, the dotted line in the middle has a ghost
> image below it down into the Graffiti area.  The blue area that the
> home and menu buttons are in seems to darken the columns above it.
> Looking at that blue area, it changes depending what is displayed
> above it: solid in Hotsync 'cause nothing above, while verically
> streaky in Datebook due to the times above.

> Anyone else getting this, or know what causes this type of behavior in
LCDs?

> Thanks,
> Jeff

Samsung I300 Screen Problem

Post by Mike Compea » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:30:41

I have it on my unit as well, but I was very pleased with how much it was
reduced since I first saw a prototype last spring.
It was really bad in that device I saw. I also imagine that this may vary
from device to device.

Mike

> I notice the ghosting myself, not sure what causes it...

> Peng Lord

> > Anyone have an I300 with the following problem?

> > Vertical ghosting or streaking.  Noticeable on the main LCD when
contrast
> > is set correctly, but really apparent if darkened up.  Seems that what
is
> > displayed on part of the screen affects other parts above or below.
> > Go to Address.  On mine, the dotted line in the middle has a ghost
> > image below it down into the Graffiti area.  The blue area that the
> > home and menu buttons are in seems to darken the columns above it.
> > Looking at that blue area, it changes depending what is displayed
> > above it: solid in Hotsync 'cause nothing above, while verically
> > streaky in Datebook due to the times above.

> > Anyone else getting this, or know what causes this type of behavior in
> LCDs?

> > Thanks,
> > Jeff

Samsung I300 Screen Problem

Post by Rich Bro » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 04:11:59

That is standard with passive-matrix LCDs, which is what that sounds
like. Older laptops have that, too. The alternative types of LCDs,
specifically active-matrix, are more expensive and use more power,
decreasing battery life.

It's a trade-off - most laptops are made with active-matrix LCDs these
days, but the cost and power constraints are much greater with a
handheld, which is probably what led to that design decision.

Now for the*details: In any LCD, each pixel must be turned on and
off by sending power along horizontal and vertical wires that meet at
that exact position. (There is a grid ("matrix") behind the whole
screen.)

With passive-matrix, it must constantly scan and refresh the screen,
much like a conventional TV screen. At any given moment, only one pixel
is making a circuit, but all of the pixels in the same row and column
are connected to those same active wires, and some electricity
inevitably leaks, creating those lines and ghosting.

With active-matrix, there is a whole layer of transistors added in
between the grid and the LCD pixels. This layer of transistors can
receive the signals from the grid and power the LCD appropriately. Since
the power for each pixel is coming from its transistor and not the grid,
it is not affected by the active wires signaling other pixels.

Make sense?

Rich Brome
www.richbrome.com

(Remove x from address to email)

Post by Doug Toom » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:20:49

> Anyone have an I300 with the following problem?

> Vertical ghosting or streaking.  Noticeable on the main LCD when contrast
> is set correctly, but really apparent if darkened up.  Seems that what is
> displayed on part of the screen affects other parts above or below.
> Go to Address.  On mine, the dotted line in the middle has a ghost
> image below it down into the Graffiti area.  The blue area that the
> home and menu buttons are in seems to darken the columns above it.
> Looking at that blue area, it changes depending what is displayed
> above it: solid in Hotsync 'cause nothing above, while verically
> streaky in Datebook due to the times above.

> Anyone else getting this, or know what causes this type of behavior in LCDs?

Yes, I'm getting it too.  I believe it is due to the screen that they
are using.  If you remember the laptops of many years ago, there were
"active matrix" LCD screens, and "passive matrix" LCD screens.  The
active matrix screen were sharp and crisp with no ghosting, and the
passive matrix screens were ok, but you could see after images of the
mouse moving, etc.

I have a feeling the screen in the I300 is along the lines of a
"passive matrix" LCD screen (while that may or may not be the correct
terminology).  In other words - not the highest quality screen
available, because it would have increased the cost significantly.

I'd be more than happy to purchase a version 2.0 of this phone that
had something similar to the quality of the Visor Prism screen.  I
loved that PDA!

Living with it,

-Doug

Post by Jeff » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 15:59:32

> > Anyone have an I300 with the following problem?

> > Vertical ghosting or streaking.  Noticeable on the main LCD when contrast
> > is set correctly, but really apparent if darkened up.  Seems that what is
> > displayed on part of the screen affects other parts above or below.
> > Go to Address.  On mine, the dotted line in the middle has a ghost
> > image below it down into the Graffiti area.  The blue area that the
> > home and menu buttons are in seems to darken the columns above it.
> > Looking at that blue area, it changes depending what is displayed
> > above it: solid in Hotsync 'cause nothing above, while verically
> > streaky in Datebook due to the times above.

> > Anyone else getting this, or know what causes this type of behavior in LCDs?

> Yes, I'm getting it too.  I believe it is due to the screen that they
> are using.  If you remember the laptops of many years ago, there were
> "active matrix" LCD screens, and "passive matrix" LCD screens.  The
> active matrix screen were sharp and crisp with no ghosting, and the
> passive matrix screens were ok, but you could see after images of the
> mouse moving, etc.

> I have a feeling the screen in the I300 is along the lines of a
> "passive matrix" LCD screen (while that may or may not be the correct
> terminology).  In other words - not the highest quality screen
> available, because it would have increased the cost significantly.

> I'd be more than happy to purchase a version 2.0 of this phone that
> had something similar to the quality of the Visor Prism screen.  I
> loved that PDA!

> Living with it,

> -Doug

Since my last post I called Samsung.  Tech there said his didn't do
it, and it's not right.  I had the same thoughts about the type of
screen as you so I asked.  He didn't know what kind it was--no specs
in the manual either!  I didn't notice this on the first one I had
with the pixel problem.  If I can't get a replacement, I'm returning
it.  Will wait until the supply is higher so I can look at a few in
the store.  I don't think we have to live with it.  LCDs are dropping
in price.  Will let you know if I get a replacement that's better.
BTW, I tried Streakhack--no joy.  Thanks for posting,
Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:34:56

> That is standard with passive-matrix LCDs, which is what that sounds
> like. Older laptops have that, too. The alternative types of LCDs,
> specifically active-matrix, are more expensive and use more power,
> decreasing battery life.

> It's a trade-off - most laptops are made with active-matrix LCDs these
> days, but the cost and power constraints are much greater with a
> handheld, which is probably what led to that design decision.

> Now for the*details: In any LCD, each pixel must be turned on and
> off by sending power along horizontal and vertical wires that meet at
> that exact position. (There is a grid ("matrix") behind the whole
> screen.)

> With passive-matrix, it must constantly scan and refresh the screen,
> much like a conventional TV screen. At any given moment, only one pixel
> is making a circuit, but all of the pixels in the same row and column
> are connected to those same active wires, and some electricity
> inevitably leaks, creating those lines and ghosting.

> With active-matrix, there is a whole layer of transistors added in
> between the grid and the LCD pixels. This layer of transistors can
> receive the signals from the grid and power the LCD appropriately. Since
> the power for each pixel is coming from its transistor and not the grid,
> it is not affected by the active wires signaling other pixels.

> Make sense?

> Rich Brome
> www.richbrome.com

> (Remove x from address to email)

Rich,  Yeah.  Makes sense.  That is what I have been reading as I
search on LCD and streaking.  Your explaination is a bit more targeted
and better though.  Thanks,
Jeff

1. Samsung i300 vs treo 300 vs Treo 270

I'm a current Palm VIIx user with Sprint PCS using a Samsung dual band
phone.  The Phone has Sprint's access to the wireless web and the sprint
calendar, but it is not as useful to me as the palm.

I'm ready to move to an all in one unit, but need some direction.

I like the looks of the Samsung i300 and the price has dropped.  But I think
it is not 3G compatible or upgradable.....  but it is a dual PCS / Analog
phone.

The PCS Treo 300 is awesome, but is only PCS phone, not analog, so I am
screwed when I roam out of PCS area.

The 270 is dual GSM phone -- but not analog, but seems a good alternative if
I am willing to switch carriers.

What do current users think about these 3?  Is now the time to switch, or
should I wait until the next models?

Or do I tough it out with two devices????

--
Fritz -

2. PPP autodetect (getty/pppd)

3. Where can I get a PalmOS Kyocera 6035 or Samsung I300 with no plan?

4. max buffer size

5. Samsung I300 sync with Mac G4 PB?

6. Discrete Cosine Transform

7. 4.1 on Samsung I300 ?

8. HP 6100C and AHA-2920C

9. Compatibility of Samsung I300 OS

10. Samsung I300 or TREO -- and why??

11. Samsung I300: accessories, software??

12. Samsung I300 user group on Yahoo

13. Samsung I300 features?