3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Joha » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am not sure if I understood right but............

The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will have
to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to Europe
is some kind of a big excursion.

I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

Just my 2 ?ren..........

    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by S. Krieger and M. Hettem » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am not sure if I understood right but............

> The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

> If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will have
> to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to Europe
> is some kind of a big excursion.

> I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
> here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

> Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

> Just my 2 ?ren..........

>     //Johan

A small group of the Dutch palmcomputing group has spoken about this
with the sales manager of 3Com. 3Com is looking for a European solution
for the V11. Perhaps GSM based. He could not gives us any details, but
he assured that they are looking for a solution which will be useful for
European market
At least this is what I understood. (Don't pin me down...)

Susan

--
_____________________________________

SUSAN KRIEGER - MARIUS HETTEMA

http://people.a2000.nl/mhettema/
http://susan.krieger.net/
_____________________________________

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Brian Parr » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The Palm V have not been localized to anywhere else yet I don't believe. It
seems logical that once they are localized for Europe that the power
situation would be addressed as well.

=Brian=

>I am not sure if I understood right but............

>The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

>If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will have
>to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to
Europe
>is some kind of a big excursion.

>I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
>here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

>Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

>Just my 2 ?ren..........

>    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Nick » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You're right about the PVII, but not about the PV - I just bought one
in the UK (220-240 volt) and it works out of the box. It even comes
with a plug adapter for 2 pin (European) sockets).

Howver - you're right about the overall attitude. 3com seems to suffer
from the view that North America means the world.

Regards

Nick

Quote:

>I am not sure if I understood right but............

>The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

>If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will have
>to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to Europe
>is some kind of a big excursion.

>I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
>here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

>Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

>Just my 2 ?ren..........

>    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by René » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The Palm V has been introduced in the Netherlands a few days ago. And we run
220V. I have not been able to touch it but I am pretty sure the V is adapted for
the Dutch voltage.

> The Palm V have not been localized to anywhere else yet I don't believe. It
> seems logical that once they are localized for Europe that the power
> situation would be addressed as well.

> =Brian=

> >I am not sure if I understood right but............

> >The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

> >If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will have
> >to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to
> Europe
> >is some kind of a big excursion.

> >I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
> >here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

> >Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

> >Just my 2 ?ren..........

> >    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Joha » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Gee!!

Thanks a lot, now I can sleep at night, waiting for my V!!!

    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Brian Parr » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Well Jeesh! It is a brand new product and it is an American company and 90%
of them are sold in the US. I think that is why US takes priority. But I
also know they are working on localizing things ASAP. That shouldn't mean
they hate the rest of the world. Just the opposite.

=Brian=

>You're right about the PVII, but not about the PV - I just bought one
>in the UK (220-240 volt) and it works out of the box. It even comes
>with a plug adapter for 2 pin (European) sockets).

>Howver - you're right about the overall attitude. 3com seems to suffer
>from the view that North America means the world.

>Regards

>Nick

>>I am not sure if I understood right but............

>>The Palm VII will probably only work in USA.

>>If I, who lives in Sweden with 220 V AC, wants to use a Palm V, I will
have
>>to buy a "travel kit"? I mean really, it makes You feel like going to
Europe
>>is some kind of a big excursion.

>>I love my Pro-upgraded Pilot 5000, I have been waiting for the Razor and
>>here it is(?) but it only works in the US!!

>>Pls. 3Com, SELL THE PALM DIVISION, I preferred the previous owner...

>>Just my 2 ?ren..........

>>    //Johan

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Joha » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Really, I wasnt aware of the fact that 90% of the Palms were sold in US. It
is a very interesting figure that would be great to see somewhere else.

AND,
Europe is not some kind of strange undeveloped area, neither are other large
areas where the Palm V or VII either do not work now or it is very unsure if
they ever will.

Finland has more cell-phones per capita then any other country in the world,
and I really cant see Motorola selling their phones without a 220V adapter.

Sweden has a similar position in PC:s, and it is a fact that one of the
absolutely first localized versions of Mr Bills software appear in Swedish.

Anyway, I guess hate was a little bit harsh, could I get away with the fact
that I really dont speak English??

Guess the long wait for Razor made me a little
nervous.....................................................................

    //Johan

>Well Jeesh! It is a brand new product and it is an American company and 90%
>of them are sold in the US. I think that is why US takes priority. But I
>also know they are working on localizing things ASAP. That shouldn't mean
>they hate the rest of the world. Just the opposite.

>=Brian=

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Brian Parr » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Yes, well why we are confessing....

Beats me how many are sold in the US verses the rest of the world. But if
Palm V hasn't been localized yet then 90% is probably low.  I have also
heard in this newsgroup that there are 220v version out there. So maybe if
you poked around some more you can find the right model to suit your needs.
But basically, my point was that if it ain't here yet it soon should be.
Palm is not neglecting the rest of the world.

=Brian=

.

>    //Johan

>>Well Jeesh! It is a brand new product and it is an American company and
90%
>>of them are sold in the US. I think that is why US takes priority. But I
>>also know they are working on localizing things ASAP. That shouldn't mean
>>they hate the rest of the world. Just the opposite.

>>=Brian=

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Claire Pieter » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Really, I wasnt aware of the fact that 90% of the Palms were sold in US. It
>is a very interesting figure that would be great to see somewhere else.

>AND,
>Europe is not some kind of strange undeveloped area, neither are other large
>areas where the Palm V or VII either do not work now or it is very unsure if
>they ever will.

<snip>

So why, then, did Palm buy Smartcode and rename it as their European
division??

--
pilo*(at)pipeline(dot)com
punctuate accordingly to reply

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by Joha » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Is this what You meant?

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Well thanks a lot, I had no idea and this actually made me feel a little bit
better.

    //Johan

>>Really, I wasnt aware of the fact that 90% of the Palms were sold in US.
It
>>is a very interesting figure that would be great to see somewhere else.

>>AND,
>>Europe is not some kind of strange undeveloped area, neither are other
large
>>areas where the Palm V or VII either do not work now or it is very unsure
if
>>they ever will.

><snip>

>So why, then, did Palm buy Smartcode and rename it as their European
>division??

>--
>pilo*(at)pipeline(dot)com
>punctuate accordingly to reply

3Com hates non-americans???

Post by G_regg P_olit » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyway, I guess hate was a little bit harsh, could I get away with the fact
> that I really dont speak English??

You're kidding right?  You write English better than 99% of the people
who enter college here.

--
G_regg P_olites  Remove the ES for email replies.
DSS PGP Key ID 0x02ADA429

1. Why I'm Beginning to Hate 3COM

Yesterday I dropped my Palm (see C*R*A*C*K*E*D in the newsgroup). I called
service at 1-888-619-7488. You're right about the $100.00.  However, while I
could pay it with a credit card, I chose to write them a company check
instead (they gave me the address and I dropped it in the mail) and that was
absolutely fine with them. They were as nice as could be and started the
process by overnighting me an empty box to send the Palm back.  Call them
and they will give you the details.

Brian

2. ansi.sys & ME

3. 3Com non support

4. How do you deal with bad managers?

5. 3Com non-support

6. ctl3d32.dll error

7. NYC Beaming Phone Booth (American Express)

8. cable modem speeds

9. Japanese characters on an American Palm Vx.

10. eBook - "American Patriot Book"

11. american date format

12. North American Palm V use in UK