DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Tare » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
Palm III device.

Thanks

--
Tareq Hijazi
Amman, Jordan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Guardia » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The difference that I can tell is that Desktop to Go syncs apps in about
10 minutes.  Intellisync takes about 10 hours.  Intellisync is a big
waste of money!!!

Betsy

> Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> Palm III device.

> Thanks

> --
> Tareq Hijazi
> Amman, Jordan

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Chris Anto » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

i bought Intellisync, but i use PocketMirror.

Intellisync is "powerful" in that it allows field-level conflict resolution
(ie, if you change the Last Name on the handheld device, and change the Home
Phone on Outlook, Intellisync will merge the changes together).

but that scenario doesn't really apply to me (or i suspect to most people).
and PocketMirror is very fast.  actually, i'm particularly pleased with the
speed.

Quote:> Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> Palm III device.

> Thanks

> --
> Tareq Hijazi
> Amman, Jordan

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by jlbowma » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring it,
you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync.... also, a
bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
problem with PocketMirror.

Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation is
(foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and I
use that at my SOHO.

Cheers!

Quote:> Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> Palm III device.

> Thanks

> --
> Tareq Hijazi
> Amman, Jordan

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Ian McGrego » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A couple of us at my office now have Palm III's and want to sync to
GroupWise 5.5. Since the Palms are our own private purchases, it's a
personal thing and we'd have to purchase IntelliSync ourselves too. Really
it's our own "want" rather than a "need".

Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

--
Ian McGregor

> Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
> Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

> If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
> latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring
it,
> you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync.... also,
> bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
> problem with PocketMirror.

> Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation
is
> (foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and I
> use that at my SOHO.

> Cheers!

> > Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> > me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> > want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> > included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> > Palm III device.

> > Thanks

> > --
> > Tareq Hijazi
> > Amman, Jordan

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Arnol » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I tried IntelliSync and returned it. It didn't take long to start creating
problems. However, I've not tried DTG.

Arnold

> A couple of us at my office now have Palm III's and want to sync to
> GroupWise 5.5. Since the Palms are our own private purchases, it's a
> personal thing and we'd have to purchase IntelliSync ourselves too. Really
> it's our own "want" rather than a "need".

> Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

> --
> Ian McGregor

> > Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
> > Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

> > If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
> > latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring
> it,
> > you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync....
also,
> > bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
> > problem with PocketMirror.

> > Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation
> is
> > (foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and
> > use that at my SOHO.

> > Cheers!

> > > Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> > > me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> > > want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> > > included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> > > Palm III device.

> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > Tareq Hijazi
> > > Amman, Jordan

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Guardia » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

IMHO...  NO!  Buying IntelliSync is like paying $69.00 for a shiny coaster.

Betsy

> A couple of us at my office now have Palm III's and want to sync to
> GroupWise 5.5. Since the Palms are our own private purchases, it's a
> personal thing and we'd have to purchase IntelliSync ourselves too. Really
> it's our own "want" rather than a "need".

> Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

> --
> Ian McGregor

> > Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
> > Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

> > If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
> > latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring
> it,
> > you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync.... also,
> > bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
> > problem with PocketMirror.

> > Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation
> is
> > (foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and I
> > use that at my SOHO.

> > Cheers!

> > > Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> > > me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> > > want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> > > included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> > > Palm III device.

> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > Tareq Hijazi
> > > Amman, Jordan

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by jlbowma » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you are going to sync with GroupWise 5.5, it is the ONLY solution.  There
is SyncWise but my experience with it has not been ideal.  With Intellisync
you will be able to sync calendar.... email has a few bugs in it.  Again, if
you are wanting Intellisync for other PIMs (except ACT, previous poster
indicated this was an exclusive solution) go with PocketMirror.

Even though I am not thrilled with the product, it is a vital link to my
business schedule and its use transcends having to keep three different
schedules..... as I mentioned in other post, the Palm V I am using serves to
link home and office.  My experience was favorable enough that we convinced
our IS department to purchase a site license and we are installing onto many
desktops for CE and Palm users.   They support this interface only.... even
if an individual has purchased their own Palm.

A newer release to Puma's Intellisync is in the works that will give full
email synch.  The reality is I don't think I want to put company email on my
Palm V.  Rather, I would prefer to carry personal email from home, answer
throughout the day, and send/receive when I get back to my SOHO at the end
of the day.  Putting my company email on my Palm would muddy this up.
Unless there is a way to divide the mail accounts and have separate syncs
depending on locale (home vs office).

If you do purchase, get the premium service, which will entitle you to free
upgrades.  Also, if you "buy in bulk" the Gold package includes Satellite
Forms... an excellent program.   If you sync at work using Intellisync with
Groupwise 5.5, bear in mind you do not need Intellisync at home.... if for
instance you are using Outlook at home with PocketMirror, continue using it
as before.   Consider getting UnDupe, too.

Feel free to drop me a line if more questions or help in install.

jlbowman

> A couple of us at my office now have Palm III's and want to sync to
> GroupWise 5.5. Since the Palms are our own private purchases, it's a
> personal thing and we'd have to purchase IntelliSync ourselves too. Really
> it's our own "want" rather than a "need".

> Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

> --
> Ian McGregor

> > Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
> > Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

> > If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
> > latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring
> it,
> > you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync....
also,
> > bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
> > problem with PocketMirror.

> > Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation
> is
> > (foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and
> > use that at my SOHO.

> > Cheers!

> > > Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> > > me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> > > want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> > > included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> > > Palm III device.

> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > Tareq Hijazi
> > > Amman, Jordan

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Guardia » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A friend of mine says that after a bit of tweaking, SyncWise works well, is
cheaper, AND does e-mail.  I have little personal experience with a network so I
can only rely on his opinion, but I do know that you can at least preview a demo
of SyncWise (you can't do that with Intellisync) and it gets 4 Airplanes from
the Pilot Zone.

http://www.pdacentral.com/pilotzone/dev_windows.html

Blessings,
Betsy

> [...]

> > Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

> > --
> > Ian McGregor

> > > Unless you are using GroupWise 5.5 there is absolutely no reason to get
> > > Intellisync - it is the only working solution for that platform PIM.

> > > If you are just using Outlook, stick with PocketMirror.  You'll need the
> > > latest version for 2000.  It is minimally intrusive - after configuring
> > it,
> > > you can almost forget about it.... not the case with Intellisync....
> also,
> > > bug in Intellisync creates duplicates from time to time, never had that
> > > problem with PocketMirror.

> > > Unfortunately, I have to use Intellisync at work because our corporation
> > is
> > > (foolishly) tied to Novell's GroupWise.  Outlook is my preferred PIM and

Post by Phillip Ushijim » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have owned DTG since before PocketMirror shipped with the Palm.  I find it
to be easy to use, fast and reliable.  While not as fast as a native sync to
the Palm desktop, my syncs with DTG and OL2000 on a Pentium III-450, without
AvantGo and BackupBuddy, average about one minute.  I never installed
PocketMirror after upgrading to a Palm IIIx since I could find no reason to.
I've heard of complaints with speed in regards to IntelliSync but have never
seen it or used it.

Phillip Ushijima

Quote:> Can the users of either Intellisync or Desktop to Go sync apps, tell
> me  whether there are any significant differences between the two ? I
> want to use Outlook2000 and I need a good sync software. How does the
> included PocketMirror fare compared to the above two ? I am using a
> Palm III device.

> Thanks

> --
> Tareq Hijazi
> Amman, Jordan

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by jlbowma » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Right, it is cheaper.  My personal experience was not so favorable.
Definitely worried about support from an IS perspective if we rolled out to
the masses in our corporation.  Hence, we went with Puma's product.

Groupwise will do email, too - but it requires a bit of tweaking and magic
=8-)

jlb

> [...]

Satellite
> > Forms... an excellent program.   If you sync at work using Intellisync
with
> > Groupwise 5.5, bear in mind you do not need Intellisync at home.... if
for
> > instance you are using Outlook at home with PocketMirror, continue using
it
> > as before.   Consider getting UnDupe, too.

> > Feel free to drop me a line if more questions or help in install.

> > jlbowman

> > > A couple of us at my office now have Palm III's and want to sync to
> > > GroupWise 5.5. Since the Palms are our own private purchases, it's a
> > > personal thing and we'd have to purchase IntelliSync ourselves too.
Really
> > > it's our own "want" rather than a "need".

> > > Is it worth the cash? Is it reliable? Is it any good?

Post by EGJ » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Puma has a free demo of Intellisync on their website -
follow the "enterprise" link.  It works flawlessly with
Lotus Notes 4.6 and is also very speedy after the first
sync.  I bought from buy.com for $39.xx  Am I the only one
who's had luck with this program?

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by JW » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Puma has a free demo of Intellisync on their website -
>follow the "enterprise" link.  It works flawlessly with
>Lotus Notes 4.6 and is also very speedy after the first
>sync.  I bought from buy.com for $39.xx  Am I the only one
>who's had luck with this program?

I used it for almost two years with Outlook 97/98. It worked fine for
me, too. The only problem I had was at initial setup--and the problem
turned out to be me and not IntelliSync (it had been a very long day
and I wasn't thinking straight).

I use PocketMirror now and find it to be faster than IntelliSync.
Average sync time dropped from about 45 - 60 seconds to 15 seconds,
unless I'm installing something.

As far as using it with Notes, it HAS to be a better solution than
EasySync. What a vile package that is...

--
-JWP

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! == http://www.cauce.org/

Track Down and Hammer Spammers Yourself -- It's Easy
Get Sam Spade free at http://www.samspade.org/

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Brian Rupper » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:23:59 -0700,

|Puma has a free demo of Intellisync on their website -
|follow the "enterprise" link.  It works flawlessly with
|Lotus Notes 4.6 and is also very speedy after the first
|sync.  I bought from buy.com for $39.xx  Am I the only one
|who's had luck with this program?

I use it regularly syncing to Outlook 98 and Lotus Notes 4.5.   No problems
here.

-------------
Brian Ruppert
Katy, Texas

DTG or Intellisync?

Post by Fred Murgetroi » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I use DTG at work (so I can sync with Schedule+ and Exchange) and Pocket
Mirror at home to sync with Outlook 98...seems to work pretty well, did
get a few duplicates at first that I  am weeding out...

1. DTG 4

Just downloaded and installed.  Caused a little bobble when it corrupted
AOL(?), but this was easily fixed.  My main interest was in the SlideShow
feature, as I work with a lot of PowerPoint presentations.  This is both worse
and better than I expected.
Bad:
 - The normal view of the slide (full slide on screen) is unreadable.  I always
use fairly large fonts, but anything below about 32pt is unreadable.  I am not
sure that the larger fonts are not readable simply because I know what they
say.
 - It takes a huge amount of memory - almost 1Mb for one presentation (24
slides, 214kb in original format).
Good:
 - There is an expanded view of the slide which is crystal clear and scrolls
around by dragging the stylus on the screen.  Very smooth and clear.
 - There is a text view, which shows the text on the slide.
 - There is a notes view which shows the speakers notes.

So a cautious one thumb up - my beefs are the huge file size (over 4 times the
original) and the poor resolution in the normal view of the slide.

2. Cells with rounded corners

3. DTG or Palm DT 4.0 w/pocket mirror

4. Chart range in Excel5/VBA

5. DTG and DeskTop 4.0

6. Looking for WinCE software

7. DTG

8. Netscape E-mail?

9. DTG vs. PocketMirror

10. DTG w/ Outlook and Eudora

11. Syncing DTG and OutLook with multiple PCs

12. DTG and Network Hotsync - Any known problems?

13. DTG vs. PocketMirror - opinions