Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

Post by Brian Peders » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm currently investigating the market, since I would like to buy either a
PPPro or a PIII. I'm getting a little worried about the messages I've seen
about the tap bug. Does anyone know if the screen on the PIII might be more
stable ? I know that noone has used the PIII for months yet, but maybe owners
of both machines mentioned would care to comment ?

I know that 3com has a great warranty repair service, but what to do when
the warranty period runs out ?

--
                                                 _______
Brian Pedersen, DSP Student                     |       \

Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

Post by Gary Duk » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

I have a Palm III and yes - there is no Tap Bug, and the digitizer accuracy
on my model is great - no snowflakes when pen held in one spot.

Hey, and I should be critical, since I created the OS2.04-resistant Tap Bug
page - http://web.idirect.com/~garyduke/pilot

Gary Duke

Post by Claire Pieter » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

>I know that 3com has a great warranty repair service, but what to do when
>the warranty period runs out ?

Well, the warranties for anything-but-screens have been extended on
older units, and 3Com now offers "Palm Gold", which is a kind of
service contract...

--

To reply, change the 7th letter to "i"

Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

Post by Eric Moor » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

That's a good question!  I have both PPPro and PIII.  The PPPr0 has the tap
bug.  The new PIII does not.  I don't know about the long-term prospects,
but the PIII requires much less stylus pressure.  If the tap bug is a result
of physical wear on the screen, (and I don't know that that is the case),
then it would seem that the PIII is less likely to develop the problem.
Time will tell...

Eric

>I'm currently investigating the market, since I would like to buy either a
>PPPro or a PIII. I'm getting a little worried about the messages I've seen
>about the tap bug. Does anyone know if the screen on the PIII might be more
>stable ? I know that noone has used the PIII for months yet, but maybe
owners
>of both machines mentioned would care to comment ?

>I know that 3com has a great warranty repair service, but what to do when
>the warranty period runs out ?

>--
>                                                 _______
>Brian Pedersen, DSP Student                     |       \
>Applied Signal Processing and Implementation  --| REAL   \
>Department of Communication Technology          |         O--
>Aalborg University, Denmark                   --| GATES  /

Is PalmIII worth it (in the tap bug sense) ?

Post by Dirhl Dunnag » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

Hey wait a minute !

I've only had mine a couple months, but are you guyz saying that after
a while the screen "taps" no longer work !!!??? and you have to
replace the screen ??  (I don't use Graffiti and probably will not, I
find it faster and easier to just use the keyboard on those rare
occassions when I need to add something in the field)

I hope this is not true. !

1. Tap problem (not tap bug)

My PPro started to not recognize taps (or screen input at all, I
think) intermittently, and recently it has done it every time I power
it up. So if there is a reminder screen there, I can't even get past
the "okay" button. Switching applications with the press buttons works
though.

I seem to be able to fix it by pressing the plastic around the edge of
the screen, mostly towards the bottom. Is it possible that something
is coming loose? Has anyone had this problem?
   Thanks,
        Paul

2. Intellisync and Outlook problems

3. PalmIII trade ins?

4. Need help on game development software

5. Prism tap bug

6. IBM announces 75gig hard drive

7. Tap Bug

8. Looking for a PSI symbiont

9. Tap Bug, does it still exist (i.e. on III or later Palms)?

10. palm3 - a new type of tapping bug?

11. Tap bug problem...

12. "Tap Bug" problem

13. Palm III fix tap bug?