Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Post by David Sco » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:09:39

All of a sudden, I can't seem to transfer any Address Book data
between by Palm (in a Kyrocera SmartPhone) and any of my Macs. Here's
the log report:

HotSync started 2/27/02 4:29:00 PM

Local Synchronization
 - Did nothing
OK Install
To Do List did nothing
Memo Pad did nothing
Date Book did nothing
Address Book synchronization failed
"Address Book" failed (error = #16397)

 - Did nothing
OK Install
Did nothing
OK Backup

In the above example, I had set all conduits but Address Book to "do
nothing" but even if all are set to synch, I still run into a brick
wall with Address Book. Is there a way to repair this file? I don't
have a usable backup of my Address Book data anywhere.

Last sync time and PC ID updated on handheld
HotSync Complete 2/27/02 4:29:25 PM

Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Post by Patrik Bli » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:36:59

Yes!
But you can't do it by yourself. You have to send the database to Palm
Support. They can repair it.
/Patrik

Quote:> All of a sudden, I can't seem to transfer any Address Book data
> between by Palm (in a Kyrocera SmartPhone) and any of my Macs. Here's
> the log report:

> HotSync started 2/27/02 4:29:00 PM

> Local Synchronization
>  - Did nothing
> OK Install
> To Do List did nothing
> Memo Pad did nothing
> Date Book did nothing
> Address Book synchronization failed
> "Address Book" failed (error = #16397)

>  - Did nothing
> OK Install
> Did nothing
> OK Backup

> In the above example, I had set all conduits but Address Book to "do
> nothing" but even if all are set to synch, I still run into a brick
> wall with Address Book. Is there a way to repair this file? I don't
> have a usable backup of my Address Book data anywhere.

> Last sync time and PC ID updated on handheld
> HotSync Complete 2/27/02 4:29:25 PM

Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Post by Philip Shear » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 22:20:47

Quote:> "Address Book" failed (error = #16397)

16397 = 0x4000 + 0x0D = SYNC_ERR_CLASS + 0x0D

here is what it says in SyncMgr.h:

#define   SYNCERR_NO_FILES_OPEN        (SYNC_ERR_CLASS + 0x0D)
// An operation was requested on a database when no databases were open

So the Address Book conduit fails to open AddressDB on the Palm. Not very
good news.

Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Post by henri Arsenau » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 05:01:37

I don't understand how someone is doing syncs, and is not backing up the
address book, which is the single largest and usually most important file
on the Palm!

henri

Can a Corrupt Palm Address Book File Be Repaired?

Post by Dan Nord » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 06:38:28

Quote:>In the above example, I had set all conduits but Address Book to "do
>nothing" but even if all are set to synch, I still run into a brick
>wall with Address Book. Is there a way to repair this file? I don't
>have a usable backup of my Address Book data anywhere.

So the only place you have AddressBook data currently is on the Kyocera?
Nowhere else? Here is was going to give you all sorts of clever ways to salvage
a Palm Desktop file. Hmm...

It might simply be that something is wrong with the Addressbook conduit on your
computer. Reinstalling the Palm software might take care of it right away.

If there is no address book data on the computer, try setting the Addressbook
conduit to Handheld Overwrites Desktop.

Try a soft reset also if you haven't already.

If that doesn't do it, and you can you see your addresses in your Addressbook
just fine, see if you can beam all your records to another Palm OS device as a
way to make sure they exist somewhere else. If it is data corruption, the act
of beaming them might rewrite the database and fix them either on the other
Palm or on both units.

If you really really need those addreses and nothing else works, a file editor
like Z'Catalog or Filez can let you go in there and modify the attributes. It
might be able to fake the database out into thinking it is a text file and then
open it with another application on the Palm. That starts getting into some
heavy duty hoodoo voodoo though.

Hope soemthing here helps.

--
Dan Norder
No song is ever over-played on the radio...

1. tool for repair corrupted datebook file

today i have the best possible service from Palm :-)

My datebook file was for some reason corrupted (probarly due to that i
have set yearly repeated events with no end date) However i mailed the
datebook.dat file to them and they processed it in a software they
have and returned  it in good shape.

This software was not to give ouy they said..hmmpphr

Anyone know what sw this is, and even more important: where i can i
get it?

thanks, mike

2. Can I receive fax via fax modem from a regular fax machine?

3. Palm Address Book corrupt on Desktop - How to retain Categories?

4. Customise Address book view for distribution lists

5. HELP: How to populate my new address book from my old address.dat file

6. Upgrading a Novel server to Win 2k

7. How to fix or replace Corrupt Date Book file/Find function resets

8. WTB: Vlab y/c ext/int, DCTV, DCTV RGB Conv. Supergen

9. Long - Review PalmEudora Sync - Synchronising Palm Address Book and Eudora Address Book

10. Netscape address book replaced Palm address book as default.

11. Outlook Express Address Book Hoysync with Palm Address Book

12. Palm III Address Book won't Sync with Outlook Express Address Book?

13. Corrupted Datebook...am I the only one?