Record is too large

Post by Nick K » Sat, 19 May 2001 01:55:39

I am attempting to execute a "CREATE TABLE" query in VB code from Access
2000. I have used both DAO and ADO and get the same error, "Record is too
large"

What is the limit on the size of a record? Do SQL Server and Access have
different record size limitations? Is there a way to increase Access record
size limitations?

Record is too large

Post by RC Wes » Sat, 19 May 2001 12:58:40

For Acc97 or Acc2K, Number of characters in a record (excluding Memo and OLE
Object fields) is 2,000.

Access & SQL Server differ in their specifications... SQL 6.5 is something
like 1,952(if indexes are used) and SQL 7.0 is 8K... haven't looked at SQL
2K yet but it is probably 8K.

No, you can't change this. Joins across tables is the only way to simulate
larger records, but that introduces all sorts of extra housekeeping. Suggest
you evaluate your database model, it is rare that you would need to exceed
the record size... or use a memo field where necessary.

--
Bob West

Quote:> I am attempting to execute a "CREATE TABLE" query in VB code from Access