Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

Post by pen.. » Wed, 09 May 2001 02:35:48

There was an article writtne years ago and published in NAUG's
FORUM about using bitmapped fonts with AppleWork and a laser printer.
You used a program called HPDOWN (which, according to a quick check
is up on Trenco in both a //e and GS format) to load the fonts to the
printer's memory, then called the font from AppleWorks using a
customized printer code.  I remember playing with this shortly after
it was printed--it worked but you had to play around with the
document spacing to make it look good.  You'd have to use Pointless
to change the TT fonts to a bitmapped one, but then you could use
them directly to the laserprinter without having to use
SuperFonts.  This worked with any laserprinter that would be
compatible with the HPII printer.  I was never sure--were there any
inkjet printers that would accept downloaded softfonts, or do all
inkjets need to get font info from the computer instead?

Penman

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

Post by A2M » Wed, 09 May 2001 04:55:11

Quote:>were there any
>inkjet printers that would accept downloaded softfonts, or do all
>inkjets need to get font info from the computer instead?

According to their specs and according to what an HP Tech support person told
me, yes, certain HP DeskJets accepted downloaded fonts. The earliest ones,
models 500 and 550, did not. The later ones did. I do not know if this feature
started with the 520 or the 540, or even later.

I would have liked to try that procedure, but all I have is a DJ 500, which
does not accept downloaded fonts.

Beverly Cadieux
TEXAS II an international newsletter for users of AppleWorks(R) 5.1

Post by Greg Buchne » Wed, 09 May 2001 05:49:23

> >were there any
> >inkjet printers that would accept downloaded softfonts, or do all
> >inkjets need to get font info from the computer instead?

> According to their specs and according to what an HP Tech support person told
> me, yes, certain HP DeskJets accepted downloaded fonts. The earliest ones,
> models 500 and 550, did not. The later ones did. I do not know if this feature
> started with the 520 or the 540, or even later.

Actually the DJ 550c would accept downloaded fonts with the font memory
cart...I have one (256K), but it can also be configured to function as
a printer cache and that's what I have it set for.  I also ended up with
lots of font carts for the HP 500 series that I never got around to
using that much.  Was a bit disappointed when I couldn't get one of the
33.34 pitch fonts to work with Appleworks...

Greg B.
--
Note:  To e-mail me, replace nobody with gjb
I don't get junk e-mail and intend to keep it that way.

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

Post by Jim Pendarvi » Wed, 09 May 2001 06:25:24

Quote:> >were there any
> >inkjet printers that would accept downloaded softfonts, or do all
> >inkjets need to get font info from the computer instead?

> According to their specs and according to what an HP Tech support person told
> me, yes, certain HP DeskJets accepted downloaded fonts. The earliest ones,
> models 500 and 550, did not. The later ones did. I do not know if this feature
> started with the 520 or the 540, or even later.

> I would have liked to try that procedure, but all I have is a DJ 500, which
> does not accept downloaded fonts.

> Beverly Cadieux
> TEXAS II an international newsletter for users of AppleWorks(R) 5.1

I just picked up a Deskjet 500 at a yard sale this weekend. Page 3-17,
"Using Fonts", of the manual says "Soft fonts are bitmapped fonts that
your computer can transfer (download) from a disk file to the Deskjet 500
printer. The DeskJet 500 printer requires a 256K RAM cartridge to use soft
fonts." I wonder how easy it is to get those cartridges these days?

jim pendarvis

Can TrueType Fonts be converted to GS. Fonts

Post by A2M » Wed, 09 May 2001 06:42:15

Okay, now I remember that it was the 256k of memory that was required to deal
with downloaded fonts. My 500 does not have that off the shelf. It must be
added. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Ray Merlin, who is a sysop on CompuServe, had some of those font cartridges for
the 500. He offered to loan them to me when I lived in San Antonio, but I never
got around to it.

Overall, I was so happy with the fonts that were built in to the DJ, that I
never felt the need for additional fonts. The print quality was so good that I
never went back to SuperFonts on the dot-matrix.

To Jay: It's in the mail, and hope for your success.