UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Reade Glyn Dev » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 06:41:02

There is a verified undamaged version of uEmacs v3.12 on
grind.isca.uiowa.edu in /apple2/apple16/pgms/microemacs3.12.

Note that this directory has both the binscii segment stuff _and_
the *.BXY versions.  It is the *.BXY versions that I tested.
Since the binscii'd segments were likely taken off of cba2,
they are probably damaged.

The copy at plains.nodak.edu is damaged.

*** NOTE ***

Someone mentioned that of the src, exe, and doc files posted to
cba2, only the doc files were undamaged.  Look again:  Although
GSHK does not report them damaged, the unshrunk files (the
README in particular) had garbage characters (high bit set) in
various locations.

--

                                ^^^^- changed from "glynr" to "glyn"

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Morgan Dav » Fri, 15 Oct 1993 14:49:29

Quote:>*** NOTE ***
>Someone mentioned that of the src, exe, and doc files posted to
>cba2, only the doc files were undamaged.  Look again:  Although
>GSHK does not report them damaged, the unshrunk files (the
>README in particular) had garbage characters (high bit set) in
>various locations.

That makes sense -- it was edited on a Macintosh, so there may
be some bullets, m-dashes, or curly quotes in there that show up
weird on the text screen.  Try pulling readme into Teach.

Also, there is a definite problem with GSHK reporting CRC errors
on extraction when none exist.  I've verified this by running
a CRC utility on the original files and comparing them with those
extracted by GSHK which reported them as possibly damaged.  The
resulting files matched the originals exactly.

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Steven Nels » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 10:34:57

Quote:> There is a verified undamaged version of uEmacs v3.12 on
> grind.isca.uiowa.edu in /apple2/apple16/pgms/microemacs3.12.

> Note that this directory has both the binscii segment stuff _and_
> the *.BXY versions.  It is the *.BXY versions that I tested.
> Since the binscii'd segments were likely taken off of cba2,
> they are probably damaged.

[  rest of msg deleted  ]

The *.BXY versions on grind were uploaded by Morgan Davis.  How did you
ftp/download and how did you verify they are undamaged?  I downloaded with
Kermit and with sz using Proterm3.1 in binary mode.  The 'exe' file and the
doc files seem to be fine, although GSHK complained that the CRC's didn't
match and the files may be damaged.  So far uemacs seems to run fine however,
and the doc files look fine with shadowwrite1.3.2.  So ... I'm inclined to
think the *.BXY files are OK.  I haven't sciibin'ed the binscii cba2 segments
yet to see what is different yet.  Brian Taob, where did you get your version
of uemacs3.12 that you posted to cba2?

BTW, my kermit and sz downloads match, so I don't know what is going on.
Does the binaryII header messup GSHK?  If anyone gets the *.BXY files and
can show that they are corrupted, I will delete them; else they stay.  Like
I say, so far everything runs OK, (I changed the file type to sys16 ($b3) so
I can run it from the desktop, I don't have a shell yet :-( ).

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Steven Nels » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 10:57:59

   [ message deleted ]

Quote:

> That makes sense -- it was edited on a Macintosh, so there may
> be some bullets, m-dashes, or curly quotes in there that show up
> weird on the text screen.  Try pulling readme into Teach.

> Also, there is a definite problem with GSHK reporting CRC errors
> on extraction when none exist.  I've verified this by running
> a CRC utility on the original files and comparing them with those
> extracted by GSHK which reported them as possibly damaged.  The
> resulting files matched the originals exactly.

Well, that settles the question regarding the integrity of the uemacs3.12
files on grind.isca (apple2/apple16/pgms/microemacs3.12/).  They must be
OK in spite of GSHK complaining of a CRC error.  Thanks for uploading
them, Morgan.

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Brian T » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 11:44:07

> Someone mentioned that of the src, exe, and doc files posted to
> cba2, only the doc files were undamaged.  Look again:  Although
> GSHK does not report them damaged, the unshrunk files (the
> README in particular) had garbage characters (high bit set) in
> various locations.

    I'm beginning to suspect bsc more and more... :(  I FTP'd the files
from grind, turned them into Binscii files with bsc, then uploaded those
to cba2.  Then I downloaded the .BXY files to my GS and all the files
unpacked cleanly.
--

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Soenke Behre » Sat, 16 Oct 1993 16:24:50

>> cba2, only the doc files were undamaged.  Look again:  Although
>> GSHK does not report them damaged, the unshrunk files (the
>> README in particular) had garbage characters (high bit set) in
>> various locations.
>    I'm beginning to suspect bsc more and more... :(  I FTP'd the files
>from grind, turned them into Binscii files with bsc, then uploaded those
>to cba2.  Then I downloaded the .BXY files to my GS and all the files
>unpacked cleanly.

Hmm. Strange. I just got the "original" archives from grind, and I get CRC
errors on both "emacs" and "emacs.MSS". But, to my surprise, neither file
really seems damaged. yankit also gives a CRC error. What gives?
Oh, BTW, those were the exact same errors I got on the posted files ...
so they have to be a direct duplicate, no?

Soenke

electricity. I need it for my dreams.      !    tu-muenchen.de
(RACTER)                                   !  FIDO: 2:246/13 Soenke Behrens

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Brian T » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 01:20:29

> The *.BXY versions on grind were uploaded by Morgan Davis.  How did you
> ftp/download and how did you verify they are undamaged?

    FTP in binary mode off grind, downloaded with ZModem.  It unpacked
fine on my GS at home.  I grabbed the Binscii files off another system,
unbinscii'ed them and unpacked them with Nulib.  The EMACS.MSS file
failed the CRC check (but it looks fine).
--

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Jay Kre » Sun, 17 Oct 1993 13:43:10

 >Morgan Davis:
 >
 >Also, there is a definite problem with GSHK reporting CRC errors on
 >extraction when none exist.  I've verified this by running

Nulib must have the same bug. I got errors on one of the doc files and the exe
with it.

--

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Brian T » Mon, 18 Oct 1993 15:12:22

> Hmm. Strange. I just got the "original" archives from grind, and I get
> CRC errors on both "emacs" and "emacs.MSS". But, to my surprise, neither
> file really seems damaged. yankit also gives a CRC error. What gives?

    I get an error on EMACS.MSS, but I don't remember if the same thing
happened for the 'emacs' executable.  I'll have to check again with
yankit afterwards.  Is there some way to check the stored CRC with the
computed CRC?

Quote:> Oh, BTW, those were the exact same errors I got on the posted files ...
> so they have to be a direct duplicate, no?

    So does this mean the files I posted to cba2 are OK then?
--

UNdamaged uemacs 3.12

Post by Soenke Behre » Mon, 18 Oct 1993 19:16:04

>> Hmm. Strange. I just got the "original" archives from grind, and I get
>> CRC errors on both "emacs" and "emacs.MSS". But, to my surprise, neither
>> file really seems damaged. yankit also gives a CRC error. What gives?
>    I get an error on EMACS.MSS, but I don't remember if the same thing
>happened for the 'emacs' executable.  I'll have to check again with
>yankit afterwards.  Is there some way to check the stored CRC with the
>computed CRC?

Yes, definitely so. The CRC is run over the extracted data ... let me
yank out my FTN for NuFX archives and see what they have to say about
the CRC ... (I guess it's just CCITT, but one never knows :).

Regards

Post by Morgan Dav » Tue, 19 Oct 1993 05:03:43

Quote:>Well, that settles the question regarding the integrity of the uemacs3.12
>files on grind.isca (apple2/apple16/pgms/microemacs3.12/).  They must be
>OK in spite of GSHK complaining of a CRC error.

FYI, I discovered this problem with GSHK when creating daily updates for
MD-BASIC 2.0 beta testers earlier this year.  I could create a new archive
in GSHK, and in the same session have GSHK unpack the archive it just
created and it would give me that CRC error!  It was crazy trying to
figure out why all the stuff I was uploading was getting damaged (after
all, MNP on both sides and an error correcting protocol tend to insure
perfect files).  It's definitely some kind of bug in GSHK, and it appears
to affect larger archives >100K more often then smaller ones.

1. Where's uEmacs 3.12?

I recently oopsed my emacs binary, and now I can't find version 3.12!  I'm
using 3.11c, again, but it no longer works very well for me (I'm using the
3.12 config files and running under GNO) -- I get an annoying double cursor
(one always stays in the upper left-hand corner), and lots of keystrokes get
eaten for some reason.  Where can I get the new version of my beloved
editor?!

goo

2. Super Palmtops?

3. uEmacs 3.12

4. Where is Amiga Game Zone #3 !!!????!!!!

5. uEmacs 3.12 and undo

6. !HELP ECS chips and PAL Genlock

7. RMSIO set hangs my process on VMS version of UEmacs 3.12!

8. Thai code page (TIS) for Laser Printer

9. uEmacs 3.12

10. uemacs 3.12 on ATI Video Card

11. uemacs 3.12 and Ctrl/O on Sun

12. Q. about TDE 3.2a and UEMACS 3.12 (msdos)

13. uEmacs 3.12 ? new features?