Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Kevin C Sco » Tue, 29 Mar 1994 02:00:36

I have been interested in buying an item that was advertised on this
newsgroup recently.  In the ad, the seller said "best offer" as the
selling price.  When I emailed to make an offer, the seller said that
my offer (at the time) was the highest so far, but if I send him a
certified check right away and he gets my check first, he'll sell the
item to me even if he gets subsequent higher offers.  I responded that
I'd prefer to have him wait for a reasonable time in case of other
offers, then if mine is the highest, to ship it to me COD.  I got
no response to this message.  I waited a while longer, then sent
him another message to ask if my offer was still the highest.  He
said he had had a higher offer in the interim (and mentioned the amount
of the other offer to me), but had not received any money, and repeated
that whoever gets the money to him first will be the person that he sells
it to.  I am somewhat uneasy about dealing with someone who seems to
try to be enticing more than one potential buyer into sending money
(at least when the amount is over $100).
Am I being overly sensitive?
Has anyone else in this group dealt on such a basis?
Is there any reason that a seller would not want to send something COD?

I have intentionally not mentioned this person's name or the item
they are selling in case I am wrong about this.

Kevin Scott

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Steven H. Licht » Tue, 29 Mar 1994 04:08:40

I have no idea why a person would not send an item COD, it only adds in
most cases a few dollars. I have bought several over $100.00 items this
way with no problems, also I have sent money to a person with no problems.
The amounts are under $50.00 and as of this date I have not had a problem.
I have also sold this way before and again no problems. I would guess it
would depend on how you feel about it and who the person doing the
selling and if he has sold other things on the net with no problems.
It sounds like he is trying to up the bidding or maybe just trying to
make sure someone buys what he is selling.
       |       -=- Sysop: Apple Elite II -=- an Ogg-Net Hub BBS      |
       | (909) 359-5338 12/24/96/14.4 V32/V42bis Via PCP CACOL/12/24 |

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Arch Mirriele » Tue, 29 Mar 1994 14:41:20

One good reason for not sending C.O.D. is that it is restricted to business
users, and, to get past that wall at the Post Office, the sender must be a
business or come up with a half believeable story to tell the clerk as to
why he (the sender) does not have his business I.D. with him.

Arch, commonly known as ChipHead

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Arch Mirriele » Tue, 29 Mar 1994 14:49:50

Kevin:
I was in your shoes, but on the other side of the fence.  A guy (who I
referred to as a "wimp" gave me a low ball bid.  Then when he found out
(from me) that I had offers higher than his, he turns around and offers me
five bucks more that I was asking.

I posted a complaint that the wimp was using poor etiquette.  And, you know
what?  I received a half-dozen flamed messages defending the wimp, and only
one in favor of my position.

Summary, on the net, let both the buyer and seller bewary.

Arch, commonly known as ChipHead

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Andy McFadd » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 05:11:55

Quote:>                                     On the other hand, asking several
>potential buyers to send payment then giving the "prize" to the one whose
>check arrives first would be enough to send me shopping elsewhere.

Ay, there's the rub.

You may not have expected to be participating in an auction, but there's
nothing illegal or imm*in holding one, so long as they're up front about
what's going on.

[ If ]

Quote:>I were you, I'd give this guy a wide berth and look for another deal.

Yup.  If you've got a bad feeling about it, just say that you're no longer
interested and walk away.

--

"Our UNIX is bigger than your UNIX"
[ These are my opinions, not Amdahl policies. ]

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Steven H. Licht » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 06:28:50

Anyone can send COD with the post office or any other package carrier.
I have no idea where you got that bad information. I have done it
manytimes and have never had to tell them the reason, only if I would
except a check or cash.
       |       -=- Sysop: Apple Elite II -=- an Ogg-Net Hub BBS      |
       | (909) 359-5338 12/24/96/14.4 V32/V42bis Via PCP CACOL/12/24 |

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Michael A. Lyo » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:17:11

Gert out of town, arch... anybody can send COD. I do it myself all the
time. Cost is cheap too.

Mike

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Dan Bro » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:47:33

        [Why would a seller not want to ship COD?]

        Several sinister reasons could be derived, but I refuse to ship via
UPS COD.  The first (and last) time I used that service, it took them nearly
two months to deliver my check to me.  If I have to ship COD, I'll probably
use FedEx.  Sure, it's expensive, but I'll get my money a lot faster, too.

 ----------------------------------

 Above opinions are not those of Mensa, which has no opinions.
  GO D++ P+/-P+ C++ L+.5 M++ S+ G+- W+ T R-

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Dan Bro » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:49:32

>One good reason for not sending C.O.D. is that it is restricted to business
>users, [...]

        Say what?  I've never used the USPS for COD, but UPS and FedEx don't
require you to be a business user.  UPS doesn't even require an account with
them (I don't think FedEx does either, but I have one anyway), let alone that
you be a business user.

 ----------------------------------

 Above opinions are not those of Mensa, which has no opinions.
  GO D++ P+/-P+ C++ L+.5 M++ S+ G+- W+ T R-

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Chuck New » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:53:21

The Post Office will send a package C.O.D. for private citizens; its NOT
just for Business'.......  The COD fee can be cheaper at the post office,
but, on the other hand, after about 5 pounds, shipping by UPS is cheaper
and pretty quick you not only break even, but ship COD cheaper via UPS.
UPS charges a lot less for insurance too.  That may speak ill of the Post
Office, or, on the otherhand, perhaps the Post Office charges higher
insurance fees to make a profit, OR to discourage people from insuring
packages.......

Chuck
----

UUCP:     crash!pro-nsdapple!chuckn

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Chuck New » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 14:56:37

I sell new with payment up front, and I buy used and pay after inspection.
That has been my policy since 1986 when I started.  I have never gyped
anybody yet, and have only been gyped twice myself....  If somebody offered
to send an item to whomever's check reached him first, that item would not
be shipped to me.  Whats to stop this guy from cashing all the checks?

Ship him outta here!
----

Post by Khym Ma » Wed, 30 Mar 1994 16:24:15

>One good reason for not sending C.O.D. is that it is restricted to business
>users, and, to get past that wall at the Post Office, the sender must be a
>business or come up with a half believeable story to tell the clerk as to
>why he (the sender) does not have his business I.D. with him.

Hmm... I'm just a normal non-business type of guy and haven't had any
problems sending stuff COD.
--
Name: Dave Huang                | "Remember the time it rained Szechuan beef?"

ICBM: 30d 27' 36"N 97d 59' 17"W |            "Those were the days."

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Grover Thom » Thu, 31 Mar 1994 02:01:40

Quote:

>I have no idea why a person would not send an item COD, it only adds in
>most cases a few dollars. I have bought several over $100.00 items this

     Because (in my experience) you have to pay shipping up front, and
you may still get the box back if your party declines, or it can't be
delivered for some reason.  It's a risk: you pay shipping and a COD fee
without gaurantee of being reimbursed.
     There also seems to be a strange idea out on the 'net that COD is
the protector of all.  It's not!  As a receiver, you could very well pay
for your box, only to discover that it has a brick in it, or at least
not what you expect.  (And don't start the *about opening the box
before paying, because it's against delivery policy.  99% of the time
they won't let you touch it until they get paid.)

--
 __                                                                        __

(__)      "I am the terror that flaps in the night!  I am the             (__)
(__)                 stain you just can't rub out. "       -Darkwing Duck (__)

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Greg R. Achenba » Thu, 31 Mar 1994 02:52:41

> I sell new with payment up front, and I buy used and pay after inspection.
> That has been my policy since 1986 when I started.  I have never gyped
> anybody yet, and have only been gyped twice myself....  If somebody offered
> to send an item to whomever's check reached him first, that item would not
> be shipped to me.  Whats to stop this guy from cashing all the checks?

The only thing stopping the guy from cashing all the checks is his
honesty.  But keep in mind that the only thing stopping him from cashing a
single check and not shipping the merchandise is also his honesty.  A
buyer is not placed at any greater risk by having several buyers compete
for an item.  I have been involved in several net transactions as both
buyer and seller.  As you correctly pointed out Chuck, you take different
steps to protect yourself based upon which you are.  As a seller I have
had people make wonderful offers and sound highly motivated, and they
newer came through with the money.  Meanwhile, other potential buyer with
similar offers are left* (or find the item somewhere else) while I
wait for one person to actually make good on their offer.  Because of
this, I have gotten to the point that if I have several buyers with
similar offers, the one who actually comes through with the money gets
the item.  You are in a bit different position as a mail-order retailer
since you have a stock to draw from and vendors to get more product
from.  But imagine that you are down to your last hard drive, with no
possibility of getting more.  Who would you sell it to?  The first person
to say they want it?  Or the first person to get the money into your hands?

Quote:> > Ship him outta here! > ---- >

> UUCP:     crash!pro-nsdapple!chuckn

--
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Los Angeles County Outdoor Science School

"Society is like a stew.  If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of
scum on top."  Edward Abbey

Seller/buyer etiquette

Post by Denis Fafa » Fri, 01 Apr 1994 21:48:51

Quote:

> Anyone can send COD with the post office or any other package carrier.
> I have no idea where you got that bad information. I have done it
> manytimes and have never had to tell them the reason, only if I would
> except a check or cash.
> --
>        ***************************************************************
>        |       -=- Sysop: Apple Elite II -=- an Ogg-Net Hub BBS      |
>        | (909) 359-5338 12/24/96/14.4 V32/V42bis Via PCP CACOL/12/24 |
>        ***************************************************************

 Yes, I must also concur with this.  Hell, I've even sent stuff from
Australia to Canada as COD!!!  So YES it does work, both national and
internationally. (only drawback is that it is more expensive)

--

Edmonton Remote Systems   Serving Edmonton/Northern Alberta since 1982

1. Seller/buyer etiquette

It is unusual and inappropriate to ask several people for money for the
same item. I'm one of those people who insists on payment up front.
However, I take personal checks since for me to ask for a cashier's check
up front would show a complete lack of trust.

When I accept an offer from one person, I send mail to the others saying
"I've received a higher offer and that person has one week to send me the
check If he/she doesn't, then I'll make the item available to you at the
lower price". I then do just that.

I've sold close to 300 items over this feed and I've managed to do it
without being flamed or screwed once. My two cents.

-- Eric

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[Call Pro-Entropy at 305-265-9073 for 24 hours a day of chaos at 14.4K]
"Imagine there's no heaven; it's easy if you try." -- John Lennon
Rec-sports-hockey official contact for  **THE FLORIDA PANTHERS**   Go #34

2. obtain larger packet sizes....for all Modem users!!

3. Newsgroup Etiquette Question

4. Turn $6 into $6.000

5. eBay Sellers: *WHY* Continental US ONLY?! (for Canadian buyers!)

6. Use palmtop/laptop to do direct AS/400 order entry!

7. Are you looking for prices from professional sellers?

8. The Bell Science Series on Video (Upd

9. LOST! AppleCat Seller!

10. Hardware to buy for Sonderposten Sellers.

11. Why Ebay sellers should switch to Yahoo Auctions

12. WARNING of EBAY SELLER! SWMORE