"640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985-1986)

Post by Michae » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>    >:Great .sig material:
>    >:"Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten
>    >:programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software."  --
>    >:Bill Gates, 1976
>    >So I guess Bill hasn't been able to hire ten "real" programmers yet.

> Remember, this was 1976, long before "640k should be enough".  What year
> did he say that?  He's certainly deluged the market, and not just the hobby
> market.  Good software?  Somebody must think so, not that I'm defending it.

> Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

I got a new chuckle from the "640k should be enough" reminder.  I
recently acquired a beautifully preserved IBM PC/AT (an 80286 for you
youngsters who don't already know) that has a whopping 512K of RAM.  The
simple DOS proggies I put on it work just fine, but one of the Norton
utilites throws up because there's not enough RAM.

As for "somebody must think" Micro$oft stuff is good, certainly lots of
folks (try to) use it.  But not a week goes by that some 95 or 98 owner
doesn't knock on my door or ring my phone crying for help because of
some stupid thing Windows has done.  At a Staples store last weekend I
was talking to a customer who began to complain about his PC.  When I
told him he could alleviate many of his problems by using a different
operating system he just looked at me blankly; he _didn't_know_there
_are_ alternatives to Windows.

--
Michael
---

Post by jsav.. » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: When I
: told him he could alleviate many of his problems by using a different
: operating system he just looked at me blankly; he _didn't_know_there
: _are_ alternatives to Windows.

Of course, when it comes to finding software to run under those operating
systems, particularly in a box on the shelves of Staples - or any of its
competitors, to be fair - there practically is no alternative to Windows.
The Mac is the closest alternative, but requires new hardware; and I know
Linux is getting there, but can you really say it's an alternative for a
guy like him?

John Savard

Post by Byron Desnoyers Winmi » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: : When I
: : told him he could alleviate many of his problems by using a different
: : operating system he just looked at me blankly; he _didn't_know_there
: : _are_ alternatives to Windows.

: Of course, when it comes to finding software to run under those operating
: systems, particularly in a box on the shelves of Staples - or any of its
: competitors, to be fair - there practically is no alternative to Windows.
: The Mac is the closest alternative, but requires new hardware; and I know
: Linux is getting there, but can you really say it's an alternative for a
: guy like him?

There have been many alternatives over the years.  The one that I am most
fond of which does not require new hardware was OS/2.  It has all of the
advantages of Windows 95, without including most of its problems.

Even so, if you are into the used market, things such as our Apple II's
are fine for most people.  Usually you can find both the machines and
software for under $20 in buy-sell papers or thrift stores.  Sure, you
are chucking the fancy GUI for an old machine.  But I have my IIgs on
the Internet for $50 Canadian.  I can also do my word processing, run
calculations in a spreadsheet, play games should I so desire, and so on.

If only more people would consider the Apple II, the compact Macintosh,
the Atari ST, and others.  If they did, most people would be able to reap
the resources of the internet, the advantages of word processing, and the
entertainment provided by games.

Oh well, I guess it is people's ignorance which keeps these computers
cheap.

Byron.

1. "640k"; "good software" (was: Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985

You won't get an argument from me that win 98/95 is buggie.  Nope, it crashes
on me all the time.  However for all practical purposes it is all there is.

It doesn't surprise me that someone wouldn't know that you could run other
o/s's on a intel machine.  I've never seen one running before myself, I've just
heard about it from guys like you.  I'm sure even the "computer literate" guys
in the office have never heard of beos.  They probably know about unix but may
not know that versions of it will run on a pc.

OTOH, the large pc users here in Houston has people who refuse to run anything
made by microsoft.  I think people who read theire posts on the local BBS
cannot relate at all.  We think they are going a long way around to avoid MS.
It seems to me this is biting your nose to spite your face.

Bruce

2. ILS

3. Byte Magazine: 18 Vintage issues, 1985-1986

4. One last C+@, before we go.

5. Looking for "Serpentine", "Thief", "Cyborg", and "Oo-Topos"

6. Post comment here

7. WTB: "Softdisk" back issues for IIe/IIc on 5.25" floppies

8. Digital Equipment

9. "IIe" and "STM" question

10. Looking for a couple of ][ games: "Fix-It", "Alien Encounter"

11. "ZipGS" or "TransWarp" card

12. Joystick buttons: normally "open" vs "closed"?