Vulcan HDs

Post by Wayne Stewar » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

So now I have 2 Vulcan HDs. A 40mb IIe and a 40mb IIgs one.
I always thought they were hard coded for a particular HD but while
being the same size the HDs are different makes(MiniScribe & WD)
yet I can use both drives on either card so I'm guessing it's the
size that's hard coded?
Also does anyone know if the Vulcan Gold upgrade was a hardware
or software upgrade?

    Wayne

Vulcan HDs

Post by Wayne Stewar » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I've got two WD 93048-AD's working with Vulcan cards myself.
> Could you please tell me which model of WD, and Miniscribe you
> have working?

> The Vulcan Gold upgrade is a firmware upgrade.  I have v1.3GS,
> v1.3E, v1.4, and v2.0 (gold) here.  As far as I can tell,
> the big difference with the gold is that you can lower the
> interleave value for faster read/writes.

> I have tried MANY 40MB, 80MB, 85MB, and 105MB HD's but none
> of them work.  The only ones I have which work are the 93048's.

> Cheers!

> --> Jay

Thanks for the info on the Vulcan Gold upgrade
The first drive I had was the WD 93048 which came in the IIe with v1.2
EPROM. The other one is a MiniScribe 8051A which came in the IIgs with
the v1.4 Eprom. I noticed the Gals have the same part # in both cards if
that
has any relevance.

    Wayne

Vulcan HDs

Post by Jay » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:27:11

> So now I have 2 Vulcan HDs. A 40mb IIe and a 40mb IIgs one.
> I always thought they were hard coded for a particular HD but while
> being the same size the HDs are different makes(MiniScribe & WD)
> yet I can use both drives on either card so I'm guessing it's the
> size that's hard coded?
> Also does anyone know if the Vulcan Gold upgrade was a hardware
> or software upgrade?

>     Wayne

Wayne,

I've got two WD 93048-AD's working with Vulcan cards myself.
Could you please tell me which model of WD, and Miniscribe you
have working?

The Vulcan Gold upgrade is a firmware upgrade.  I have v1.3GS,
v1.3E, v1.4, and v2.0 (gold) here.  As far as I can tell,
the big difference with the gold is that you can lower the
interleave value for faster read/writes.

I have tried MANY 40MB, 80MB, 85MB, and 105MB HD's but none
of them work.  The only ones I have which work are the 93048's.

Cheers!

--> Jay

Vulcan HDs

Post by Paul Grammen » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I've got two WD 93048-AD's working with Vulcan cards myself.
> Could you please tell me which model of WD, and Miniscribe you
> have working?

I looked at the drive in one of my Vulcans, and noticed it was an old WD
similiar to one I had scrounged from a 286. I swapped it in, formatted it,
and and loaded the GSOS, and it works fine. It's a WD93044-A, and it seems a
bit faster than the original drive, perhaps because it has 1:1 interleave
due to onboard cache.

I also tried a 105 meg drive, which was detected and seemed to format, but
it didn't work. When I get a chance, I'll try playing with that again.

I like these Vulcans. They are internal, cool the whole machine, and seem
just as fast as my SCSI drives.  The name and the black color are pretty
cool too.
-Paul

Vulcan HDs

Post by Wayne Stewar » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> I looked at the drive in one of my Vulcans, and noticed it was an old WD
> similiar to one I had scrounged from a 286. I swapped it in, formatted it,
> and and loaded the GSOS, and it works fine. It's a WD93044-A, and it seems a
> bit faster than the original drive, perhaps because it has 1:1 interleave
> due to onboard cache.

> I also tried a 105 meg drive, which was detected and seemed to format, but
> it didn't work. When I get a chance, I'll try playing with that again.

> I like these Vulcans. They are internal, cool the whole machine, and seem
> just as fast as my SCSI drives.  The name and the black color are pretty
> cool too.
> -Paul

I haven't checked them with a stopwatch but the two I have seem about as
fast as  my Apple SCSI cards. However they do seem quite a bit slower than
my Ramfasts an either the IIgs or the IIe. Especially reloading something, the
1mb cache makes a difference there. Wish I had a chance to compare the
Vulcan Gold with the Ramfast or the Apple SCSI cards.

Internal is nice, especially on computers you don't have set up all the time.
I was tempted to put a SCSI drive in the IIe Vulcan, then I realized there was
plenty of room to hang a 3.5" HD below the IIe keyboard. Had an extra cable
going to a DB25 connector at the back so I could hook up another HD or
CD-ROM as needed. I was using a high output power supply so I added an
extra connector to power the HD. So now my Vulcans sit in the corner with
my Sider drives.

I can see that they'd help cool the power supply and HD and on the IIgs the
fans outflow is directed at a vent but I can't see them doing anything for the
IIe.
If the fans outflow had been on the left side then it might done a lot to cool
the
IIe. But then it seemed like anyone with more than a basic system had a
Kensington system saver anyways.

     Wayne

Vulcan HDs

Post by Paul Grammen » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I can see that they'd help cool the power supply and HD and on the IIgs
the
> fans outflow is directed at a vent but I can't see them doing anything for
the
> IIe.
> If the fans outflow had been on the left side then it might done a lot to
cool
> the
> IIe. But then it seemed like anyone with more than a basic system had a
> Kensington system saver anyways.

Yeah, I'm only using them in IIgs's. Even then, the way the louvers are
angled, the exhaust air blows towards the intake side. I noticed when I put
a monitor on top, that the air gets blown over towards the intake and pulled
back in. I put a paper barrier under the monitor to deflect the exhaust,
which helped some.  The IIgs just wasn't designed with cooling in mind...
-Paul