Come on! Serious help needed!

Post by Paul Dunk » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 00:57:47

I have the following problem: my printer doesn't work with AW. It works
with everything else well.

The computer:           Apple //e, non-enhansed.
Interface:              Epson Centronics (or whatever!)
Printer:                Epcom DP-800 (daisywheel), parallel.

When I try to use the Epcom with AW, it doesn't do anything, not at
all. I have tryed several different set-ups... As soon as I start some
other program, the printer works.

Thew printer might be manufactured in some other brand, but that isn't
the problem. The printer has 8 small switches, and I have tryed all
combinations...

Any help will do. Thanks in advance!
--

Come on! Serious help needed!

Post by David Emps » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 21:18:19

> I have the following problem: my printer doesn't work with AW. It works
> with everything else well.

> The computer:              Apple //e, non-enhansed.
> Interface:         Epson Centronics (or whatever!)
> Printer:           Epcom DP-800 (daisywheel), parallel.

The problem is almost certainly due to the interface card (which is
probably an "EPSON APL").  No version of AppleWorks will print on this
card, unless you patch it.

I have details of the patch for AppleWorks 1.1 and 1.2, and have worked
it out in the past for all versions up to 3.0.  Let me know which
version you have and I'll see what I can do.

I'm not sure of the exact details (I didn't invent the patch), but
from looking at the code, it seems that the patch is forcing
AppleWorks to recognise a printer card in slot 1.  Without the patch,
it doesn't think the Epson APL is a printer card, and doesn't print
anything.

The patch is somewhat dangerous: it will probably cause a crash if you
use a patched copy in a machine without a printer card in slot 1.
--
David Empson

Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Come on! Serious help needed!

Post by Peter Malon » Thu, 20 Oct 1994 08:11:24

There are several versions of the EPSON _ APL card, some of which will
work
 with Appleworks. But I have a collection of those that don't. The APL A
card seems to be OK but the APL B card is a problem. I have seen an APL C
card but I can't remember whether it worked or not. I read somewhere (it
might have been A2C) that the problem was the card's use of the $300 area
in memory. Maybe the patch mentioned in David Empson's post avoids
this... ?
Regds,
 Peter M.

Peter Maloney                          Melbourne
A2 Hardware Freak
This should not be construed as a disclaimer.

1. Need Serious HD Recovery Help PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

  Okay, first the story, no there's too much, let me sum up.  My hard
drive was running a little slow (Focus, internal 300+meg).  I start
playing, accidentily hit either erase or format for the wrong partition
of my hard drive.  Poof 30megs of utilities up in digital dust.
  I whiped out Deliverance and prayed.  After an hour and a half of
scanning the drive, just on the last block, blip, the program hung.  I
tried again this morning.  Again it hung on the last block.  Hmmmm, I
start inspecting this block and I find data that is not mine and never
was.  That is Microsoft Powerpoint, other PC programs and nick names for
people I've never heard of.  This leads one to believe that Alltech's drives
are refurbs that they never perform a low-level format on.  Urrrg.  Don't
even get me started what I think of Alltech in general and especially
right now.

  Problems:  How does one recover files that are there, but you have no
access to them?  Am I SOL?

    Also, should a hard drive slow down (even when just being scanned by
the computer as it's loading the drive onto the desk top) just because
theres more on it or would this be a framentation problem OR do I have a
deeper problem with it.

     I've wasted so much time in the last two days doing what little I
can.  I'm getting ready to chuck it all, do a low level format,
repartition and spend the next week loading everything off of disks and
reorganizing them on my drive again.  (Plan B, is a FOR SALE on the
apple2.marketplace).
           "Action, Adventure: A Jedi Craves Not These Things."

2. Logging Abend Errors to Printer

3. Serious Pascal help needed

4. Clipper function find

5. In Serious Need of HELP!

6. FTP Variable Files

7. Serious Disk problem - need help!

8. Mitsumi 2800TE in an external parallel case question.

9. Serious Hardware Info Needed

10. HELP!!: Serious Stuffit problem!

11. Help! Serious problem during 10.1.3 update...

12. Help! (serious SE/30 problem)

13. Help!: Serious Quicktime 3 Problems