Addison Wesley books

Post by David R. Villeg » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Does anyone have a list of all the Apple II-related Addison Wesley books?
I'm wondering if I'm missing any.

Addison Wesley books

Post by David Emps » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone have a list of all the Apple II-related Addison Wesley books?

I don't know about _all_, but here are the contents of my shelf, which
should come pretty close.  Some of these aren't strictly Apple II, but
do have some relevance.

Apple IIc Technical Reference Manual (1st edition - the second
          edition, which I also have, is an APDA manual)
Apple IIe Technical Reference Manual (2nd edition - I don't have the
          hardback edition that covers the platinum IIe, but I've seen it)
ProDOS-8 Technical Reference Manual
Applesoft BASIC Programmer's Reference Manual
BASIC Programming with ProDOS
Technical Introduction to the Apple IIgs
Programmer's Introduction to the Apple IIgs
Apple IIgs Firmware Reference
Apple IIgs Hardware Reference, 2nd edition (the first edition only covers
          the original IIgs motherboard)
Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference, Volume 1
Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference, Volume 2
Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference, Volume 3
Apple IIgs ProDOS-16 Reference (obsolete)
Apple IIgs GS/OS Reference
Hypercard IIgs Script Language Guide: The HyperTalk Language
Hypercard Stack Design Guidelines
ImageWriter II Technical Reference Manual
AppleTalk Network System Overview
Inside AppleTalk, 2nd edition
Apple Numerics Manual, 2nd edition
Human Interface Guidelines: The Apple Desktop Interface

I can't spot any more Addison-Wesley books.  There are quite a few
other reference manuals which were published directly by Apple or
through APDA, or manuals for specific products.

Apple IIgs Owner's Guide (original IIgs)
Apple IIgs Owner's Reference (ROM 3 IIgs)
Apple IIgs System Disk User's Guide (System 4)
Apple IIgs System Tools (System 4)
Apple IIgs System 6 User's Reference
Getting Started with HyperCard IIgs
HyperTalk Beginner's Guide for the Apple IIgs
HyperCard IIgs Reference
Apple II Reference
DOS 3.2 Instructional and Reference Manual
DOS 3.3 User's Manual
DOS 3.3 Programmer's Manual
Programmer's Reference for System 6.0 (Byte Works)
Programmer's Reference for System 6.0.1 (Byte Works)
Apple II Memory Expansion Card Technical Reference Manual
Apple IIgs Firmware Reference 1MB Apple IIgs Update
Apple II Pascal with Device Support Tools version 1.3 (five manuals)
Device and Interrupt Support Tools Manual for Pascal 1.2
Apple IIc Technical Reference, 2nd edition
Apple II Technical notes (complete set)
System software release notes for System 3.2, 4.0, 5.0, 5.0.2, 5.0.4,
                6.0 and 6.0.1
Apple IIgs GS/OS Device Driver Reference
Apple II High-Speed SCSI Card Reference
Apple II SCSI Card Technical Reference Manual
APW Assembler and Shell Manual
APW C Manual
APW Tools & Interfaces Update v1.1
Programming Tools & Interfaces for APW version 1.1 (beta)
Apple IIgs Assembler Toolbox Quick Reference
Apple IIgs C Quick Reference
AppleCD SC Developer's Guide, Second Edition
AppleShare Programmer's Guide for the Apple II (beta)
GS/OS Reference (beta)
GS/OS Reference Volume 2 (beta)
GSBug and Debugging Tools v4.0b1
Apple IIgs Source Code Sampler
Proceedings of the first Apple II Standards Conference (that went nowhere)
ProDOS-8 1.3 and 1.4 update notes
XREF to the Apple II Programming Books
Apple IIgs De* Reference
Apple IIgs BASIC (beta)
Apple IIgs System 6 Golden Master CD-ROM

Manuals for various peripherals (ImageWriter II, 3.5" drive, monitor,
5.25" drive, SCSI card, SuperDrive card, memory expansion card,
MouseDesk, SuperDrive)

Whew!  I think that's the lot.  I haven't bothered to list the major
3rd-party references.  I'd be here all night.
--
David Empson

Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Addison Wesley books

Post by Jay Kre » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Wow, David, impressive book collection.
 > Apple IIgs De* Reference

How does this compare to the GSBug documentation in the ORCA/M manual?

--

Addison Wesley books

Post by David R. Villeg » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I don't know about _all_, but here are the contents of my shelf, which
>should come pretty close.  Some of these aren't strictly Apple II, but
>do have some relevance.

[great list deleted]

Quote:>I can't spot any more Addison-Wesley books.  There are quite a few
>other reference manuals which were published directly by Apple or
>through APDA, or manuals for specific products.

Here are some that I didn't spot in the list:

     Applesoft Tutorial

     Bit of Applesoft, by Critchfield & Dwyer
     Graphics for the Apple II, by Myers
     Assembly Language for Applesoft Programmers, by Finley
     Applesoft Toolbox, by Wintermeyer

Although I had completely forgotten about the //c Tech. Ref. and the 1st
edition of the GS Hardware Ref., I'm looking for more AW books like the
last four.

The following books are somewhat relevant:

     Numerics Manual, 1st edition
     Inside Appletalk, 1st edition
     Understanding Computer Networks
     Planning and Managing Appletalk Networks
     Imagewriter LQ Technical Reference Manual

Addison Wesley books

Post by tset » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I don't know about _all_, but here are the contents of my shelf, which
: should come pretty close.  Some of these aren't strictly Apple II, but
: do have some relevance.

: Apple IIc Technical Reference Manual (1st edition - the second
[huge snip!]

: Whew!  I think that's the lot.  I haven't bothered to list the major
: 3rd-party references.  I'd be here all night.

wow! that's some library. all i've got is a grand total of about 20
books, including non apple specific ones. :(

--

impossible are both possible  - Babble 123     |  +oO      Vancouver.CA

Addison Wesley books

Post by David Emps » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> Wow, David, impressive book collection.
>  > Apple IIgs De* Reference

> How does this compare to the GSBug documentation in the ORCA/M manual?

Pretty much identical.  The ORCA/M documentation was taken directly
from Apple's.
--
David Empson

Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Addison Wesley books

Post by David Emps » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Here are some that I didn't spot in the list:

>      Applesoft Tutorial

Did I mention "A Touch of Applesoft BASIC" - the little book that came
with my IIgs?

The Applesoft Tutorial is a rather old book, dating back to the II+.
I probably have a copy of it buried around here somewhere, but I never
refer to it.

Quote:>      Bit of Applesoft, by Critchfield & Dwyer
>      Graphics for the Apple II, by Myers
>      Assembly Language for Applesoft Programmers, by Finley
>      Applesoft Toolbox, by Wintermeyer

I was only listing Apple and Addison-Wesley books.  I don't have any
of these, though.

Quote:> The following books are somewhat relevant:

>      Numerics Manual, 1st edition

I haven't seen it, but it should be avoided because it doesn't include
up-to-date information on the 6502 and 65816 implementations of SANE.

Quote:>      Inside Appletalk, 1st edition

Missing information about AppleTalk Phase 2, so it should be avoided.

Quote:>      Understanding Computer Networks
>      Planning and Managing Appletalk Networks
>      Imagewriter LQ Technical Reference Manual

No arguments to these.
--

Post by David R. Villeg » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>      Applesoft Tutorial
>The Applesoft Tutorial is a rather old book, dating back to the II+.
>I probably have a copy of it buried around here somewhere, but I never
>refer to it.

There's an old edition published by Apple and a newer version published by
Addison-Wesley.

Quote:>>      Bit of Applesoft, by Critchfield & Dwyer
>>      Graphics for the Apple II, by Myers
>>      Assembly Language for Applesoft Programmers, by Finley
>>      Applesoft Toolbox, by Wintermeyer

>I was only listing Apple and Addison-Wesley books.  I don't have any
>of these, though.

Those four books were all published by Addison-Wesley.  I'm looking for
a list of other such AW books that aren't in the Apple Technical Library
series of books.

Quote:>>      Numerics Manual, 1st edition

>I haven't seen it, but it should be avoided because it doesn't include
>up-to-date information on the 6502 and 65816 implementations of SANE.

>>      Inside Appletalk, 1st edition

>Missing information about AppleTalk Phase 2, so it should be avoided.

I'm just trying to compile a list of the A-W books, good or bad.  Does
anyone know roughly how many Apple II books were written?  I wonder how
insane it would be to create an Apple II bibliography.

Addison Wesley books

Post by Devin Rea » Sun, 20 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>>      Numerics Manual, 1st edition

>I haven't seen it, but it should be avoided because it doesn't include
>up-to-date information on the 6502 and 65816 implementations of SANE.

Of course, the 2nd edition also has errors that can cause lovely
crashes, but at least it is probably better that the 1st edition.

--

1. FS: Apple ][ Books from Addison-Wesley (9/12)

ImageWriter LQ Reference, ISBN: 0-201-17751-X, $5.00, Quantity 1.
Apple //e Technical Reference Manual, ISBN: 0-201-17750-1, $10.00, Quantity 1.
Apple //gs Toolbox Reference Volume 2, ISBN:  0-201-17747-1, $15.00, Quantity
1.

Buyer pays shipping.  Prepaid only!  All funds are in US dollars.  Money orders
only.  So on, and so forth...

2. Link two projects into one dll

3. FS: IIgs magazines and Addison Wesley Ref Books

4. A3000 Tower systems!!! CHEAP!!!!

5. FS: IIgs Magazines and Addison Wesley Ref. Books

6. Zaurus and CE-FM4

7. FS: Apple IIgs Addison Wesley Reference Books

8. winsystems

9. FS: Apple ][ Books from Addison-Wesley

10. Any sign of the Macintosh Hardware Book from Addison-Wesley?

11. GS/OS educational software from Addison-Wesley

12. TeXtures from Addison Wesley