Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Lim Thye Chea » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Here are some tips for all Bernie lovers:

1. If you have a slow Mac - before you consider going to Mono sound,
   etc, that is suggested by the Bernie developer, try these:

   - get the free LibMoto from Motorola, this speeds up Bernie a lot.
   - get SpeedDoubler II - I don't know why, but recent installation
     of SpeedDoubler II now makes my Bernie run faster.

2. Feel the real GS in your Mac:

   - try full screen PowerMode if you have not try so. It works very
     well.

3. Make GS part of your Mac:

   - don't start up Bernie, and don't change the startup folder just
     to switch disks. Instead, create your disk images on your desktop,
     and give them the harddisk/floppy icon. Double click them to
     run.
   - example: I have 2 harddisk images - GS/OS and ProDOS all on my
     desktop, just below the Mac OS harddisk icon. Now to everybody
     using your Mac, you have 3 harddisk (icons), each running separate
     OS! When you double click on the harddisk, either Mac OS (nothing
     happened), GS/OS or ProDOS takes over. Way cool. This might be
     how Rhapsody user uses the BlueBox to run native software...

Suggestion to Bernie developer:

1. Automatic setting:

   - Have different file types for standard IIGS disk (including
     harddisk) image, IIGS demo disk (like FTA demo) image and
     Apple II disk (.dsk) image. When double click on the disk
     image, the correct setting will be used. (Instead of default
     setting, it will be better if user can configure the setting
     for each disk image type).

2. Better full screen experience:

   - when turning off Bernie from PowerMode - quit and go straight
     to Mac OS, without showing user the IIGS-in-a-window mode. This
     will definitely makes the Bernie looks more like a buildin mode
     to run GS software, instead of an application.
   - ability to speed up the fading screen from Mac to PowerMode.
     It is too slow on my machine. I would like to double click
     GS/OS harddisk image, and System 6 starts up asap!

3. Better sound:

   - sound volume problem...
   - some tone out of tune...

Some questions:

1. Where can I find GS disk images on the net? I am looking for
   Carmen Sandiego...

2. When will next version of Bernie be release?

Thanks.
--
Lim Thye Chean
Software Architect

Post by Henrik 'Ratte' Gud » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> 1. Automatic setting:

>    - Have different file types for standard IIGS disk (including
>      harddisk) image, IIGS demo disk (like FTA demo) image and

[..]

We had some similar plans, and preferences sets bound to disk images are IMO
very useful.

Quote:> 2. Better full screen experience:

>    - when turning off Bernie from PowerMode - quit and go straight
>      to Mac OS, without showing user the IIGS-in-a-window mode. This
>      will definitely makes the Bernie looks more like a buildin mode
>      to run GS software, instead of an application.

Ok

Quote:>    - ability to speed up the fading screen from Mac to PowerMode.
>      It is too slow on my machine. I would like to double click
>      GS/OS harddisk image, and System 6 starts up asap!

I had suggested the same and fading can't be accelerated cause of some reason I
have forgotten. However, you can turn off fading entirely in the misc
preferences panel. That's about as fast as it can be...

Quote:> 3. Better sound:

>    - sound volume problem...

The volume problem is actually not a problem by definition but bases on the
fact that the oscillators are not always directly contributing to the sound but
are sometimes, or often, being used for timing and other administrative jobs.
This leads to miscalculations because Bernie must accomodate bandwidth for
*all* playing oscillators, and sometimes it simply doesn't sum up. Examples are
SynthLab where a single voice often uses up to four oscillators.
There will be an improvement soon - I wanted to add a minor change that would
ameliorate the situation somewhat but I didn't have the time to do it then.
Depending on how Andre and I are advancing, it might make it into the next
release.

Quote:>    - some tone out of tune...

I'm assuming you are referring to Arkanoid. It's the only software that is
producing an horrible sound (AFAIK). With Hi-Fi sound enabled, you can restore
peace to the universe.

Quote:> 2. When will next version of Bernie be release?

Just a couple of weeks, definitely before the end of this year. There will be
two big new features, but no networking. I leave it up to your imagination. :)

henrik

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Lim Thye Chea » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> We had some similar plans, and preferences sets bound to disk images are IMO
> very useful.

Thanks! I would personlly like this very much as I am merging the GS and
Mac
environment everyday... I hope sooner or later GS application/games just
look like Mac application/games... just double click on Mac desktop!

Quote:> Depending on how Andre and I are advancing, it might make it into the next
> release.

Thanks. This is the only minor thing that is a little irritating,
besides
that Bernie is close to perfect.

Quote:> I'm assuming you are referring to Arkanoid. It's the only software that is
> producing an horrible sound (AFAIK). With Hi-Fi sound enabled, you can restore
> peace to the universe.

Can I enable HI-FI sound in a slow PowerMac? Will it affect performance?

Quote:> Just a couple of weeks, definitely before the end of this year. There will be
> two big new features, but no networking. I leave it up to your imagination. :)

Let me guess:

- Apple II disk image support
- Ability to share a Mac folder instead of volume (if it is not there, I
would
suggest that - I only have one Mac volume!)

btw, why are there 4 dots on the corners of the border? It does not
happened
before 1.0 of Bernie. Looks like the rounded border of Mac screen is
still
there but looks awful. Oh, I am using PowerMode.

--
Lim Thye Chean
Software Architect

Post by Alex Le » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > 2. When will next version of Bernie be release?

> Just a couple of weeks, definitely before the end of this year. There will be
> two big new features, but no networking. I leave it up to your imagination. :)

Big features: Apple II 5.25 disk support and colour hi-res and double
hi-res.  Minor features: lots and lots of miscellaneous fixes for bugs
found when emulating many IIgs games ;-)

Quote:> henrik

LaTeR!

Post by Henrik 'Ratte' Gud » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Can I enable HI-FI sound in a slow PowerMac? Will it affect performance?

Seriously, I don't know. I was assuming that 22kHz is drawing less CPU power
than 44kHz (that's what Hifi sound is all about), but Andre was proving me
wrong with some benchmarks. It could be possible that PMacs are always set to
44kHz, and running Bernie at 22kHz would thus  require an internal conversion
from 22 to 44kHz. At least enabling 44kHz does not slow down Bernie
tremendously. Besides that, the faster your CPU, the less impact the higher
sampling frequency will have because interrupts occur at a fixed frequency.

Using 44kHz has a positive side effect on overall accuracy of sound
reproduction. You should get better results in all sound application that
require very precise timing, such as SynthLab.

Quote:> - Apple II disk image support

bingo!

Quote:> - Ability to share a Mac folder instead of volume (if it is not there, I

meeep

- henrik

Post by Lim Thye Chea » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> You stand correct with color hires, but that's a minor feature without wanting
> to degrade Andre's efforts.

Does that mean Andre is working on something that is even more major
than Apple II support?

I really cannot think of any - besides faster, more compatible...

The only bigger thing I can think of is really big - might be impossible
- make Bernie an invisible emulator. Just like the 68K emulator,
nobody knows it is there. I would really love to have Mac desktop
and GS application running in a window when launch from Mac Finder.
(The whole virtual machine loaded and load System 6 without Finder
and load application). It is similar to OS/2 Warp running Windows
application, or Windows 95 running DOS in a window.
--
Lim Thye Chean
Software Architect

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Lim Thye Chea » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Using 44kHz has a positive side effect on overall accuracy of sound
> reproduction. You should get better results in all sound application that
> require very precise timing, such as SynthLab.

I don't think my PowerMac can support 44KHz sound. Seems to be stuck in
22KHz.

Quote:> bingo!

I really hope it can run Karateka, but I heard even the real GS cannot
run that. :(

At least it has to run Infiltrator (my game). :)

Any cool games suggestions?

Quote:> > - Ability to share a Mac folder instead of volume (if it is not there, I

> meeep

Does that means wrong?

OK, another guess: DiversiTune support!
--
Lim Thye Chean
Software Architect

Post by Horstmann Andr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

--------------AB8E01D843E4B1477A09C1FE

> You stand correct with color hires, but that's a minor feature without wanting
> to degrade Andre's efforts.

Thanks. :-)
Indeed, it took me _much_ more time to debug the Time CDEV crash problem than
implementing color hires and color double hires together.

But Henrik, you make me wonder - what is the second major feature?

- andre

--
F.E.Systems - Emulation Technologies - http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/

--------------AB8E01D843E4B1477A09C1FE

<HTML>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>You stand correct with color hires, but that's a
minor feature without wanting
<BR>to degrade Andre's efforts.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks. :-)
<BR>Indeed, it took me _much_ more time to debug the Time CDEV crash problem
than implementing color hires and color double hires together.

<P>But Henrik, you make me wonder - what is the second major feature?

<P>- andre
<PRE>--&nbsp;
F.E.Systems - Emulation Technologies - <A HREF="http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/">http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------AB8E01D843E4B1477A09C1FE--

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Horstmann Andr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> 1. If you have a slow Mac - before you consider going to Mono sound,
>    etc, that is suggested by the Bernie developer, try these:

>    - get the free LibMoto from Motorola, this speeds up Bernie a lot.

Oops, that won't help. Why? Simply because Libmoto is already built into
Bernie (since Warp 4.5 I think).

Quote:>    - get SpeedDoubler II - I don't know why, but recent installation
>      of SpeedDoubler II now makes my Bernie run faster.

 That's true. Bernie is slow on low end PowerMacs because lots of parts of
the System are still 68k which SpeedDoubler speeds up.

- andre

--
F.E.Systems - Emulation Technologies - http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Henrik 'Ratte' Gud » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> But Henrik, you make me wonder - what is the second major feature?

> - andre

Hmm, ok, second major feature has obviously been cancelled :-)))

- henrik

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Henrik 'Ratte' Gud » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I don't think my PowerMac can support 44KHz sound. Seems to be stuck in
> 22KHz.

Every PMac should be capable of sampling at 44KkHz. In the case of Bernie, the
differences are marginal because Apple IIgs sound is limited to 26kHz anyway.
(Not the Ensoniq itself but the remaining sound hardware.) I believe someone
told in the very early days of the PMac that the D/A stuff is always running at
44kHz, but I could be wrong.

Quote:> I really hope it can run Karateka, but I heard even the real GS cannot
> run that. :(

Karateka does indeed not work. It's a IIgs :-)

Anyway, if someone knows why Karateka fails to run on a Apple IIgs, feel free
to mail me. A karateka compatibility mode would be kinda cool, but debugging
the whole story is a bit cumbersome.

henrik

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Horstmann Andr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Anyway, if someone knows why Karateka fails to run on a Apple IIgs, feel free
> to mail me. A karateka compatibility mode would be kinda cool, but debugging
> the whole story is a bit cumbersome.

I didn't tell you?
One solution to this problem would be to pop the Apple IIe disk controller ROM
into slot 6.

BTW, the cool game Drol is also affected by the same problem. It won't run on a
IIc or IIgs.

- andre

--
F.E.Systems - Emulation Technologies - http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Horstmann Andr » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hmm, ok, second major feature has obviously been cancelled :-)))

Well, if you're thinking about this one thing... it's still alive. I
wouldn't call it a feature however.

- andre

--

Post by Lim » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Oops, that won't help. Why? Simply because Libmoto is already built into
> Bernie (since Warp 4.5 I think).

Ya, I forgot I discussed with you about this last time. :)

Quote:>  That's true. Bernie is slow on low end PowerMacs because lots of parts of
> the System are still 68k which SpeedDoubler speeds up.

Now the GS speed is faster... I can even start playing Rastan and
Zany Golf now, still slow, but not terribly slow.

btw, do you know why in PowerMode now the 4 corner got color dots? It
does not happened until v1.0.

btw, any plan (in the future) for Diversitune compatibility?

Do you have Mandelbrot IIGS? It won't work. Mind looking into it? It is
the best IIGS fractal program. :) OK, I care because it is my program...
and I still think it is the best...

Thanks.

Thye Chean

Bernie Tips, Suggestions and Questions...

Post by Lim » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > Hmm, ok, second major feature has obviously been cancelled :-)))

> Well, if you're thinking about this one thing... it's still alive. I
> wouldn't call it a feature however.

So what is it? A bug?

Thye Chean

1. Bernie Warp 5 - tips & pitfalls

Dear Bernie users,

After the introduction of Warp 5 two days ago, the software seems to work
smoothly. The only thing I would like to bring to your attention is that we have
wrapped up the package differently. This obviously caused confusion by just a
few of you. I have changed the download page in the meantime, hoping it'll make
downloading a bit more straightforward.

The Bernie archive contains just the application and a Read Me. This Read Me
should really be read - it's short and the information is crucial. It saves you
a lot of hassles, especially it explains why your 32Mb boot volume refuses to
boot and why there's nothing wrong with that. :-)

Next, you MUST have the DrawSprockets extension installed on your system.
(Either in the Bernie application directory or in the System/Extensions/
folder.) We have obtained a license for distributing it, so please make use of
it. :-) It is available also from the ddownload page. Eventually, you need to
scroll down a little bit.

Users who have downloaded Bernie from John Stiles' emulation.net may be highly
confused because emulation.net does only contain a link to the bernie
application but not to the other archives (docs & DrawSprockets). Well, mea
culpa, I didn't explain that to John. Please get the missing pieces from the
download page directly.

Download page: http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/Download/
(go through steps 1 - 4)

Support area: http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/Support
(includes FAQs, tutorial on how to install GS/OS 6.0.1)

Online documentation: http://www.magnet.ch/emutech/Bernie/Documentation/

Thanks,
Henrik (woof!)

2. base 1 subscripts in C++

3. Bernie Tip

4. Hidden task?

5. Bernie Newbie Questions

6. limiting sendmail to one ip address

7. Bernie question

8. Newbie TRS-80 CoCo

9. Bernie II the Rescue (IIgs emulator) Startup Question

10. Bernie - Questions running on 8bit mode

11. Bernie II the Rescue Boot Disk Question

12. Question & Suggestion

13. AWGS suggestions and questions