Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

Post by SirThom » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I hate to be the wet blanket on all the flaming going on around here, but
back to user community things...

I need some help with the second block of DIP switch settings on my Zip GS card
v1.0.2.

The only manual I have for the card is in Hyperstack form.  It says switches 1
through 7 of the second block correspond to accelerating slots 1 - 7 and says
to refer to printed docs regarding what hardware can be sped up and what can't.
 And, of course, I have no such docs.

If you have such docs, please enlighten me with the proper settings!  Thanks!
:)

Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

Post by Rubywan » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

SirThomas writes ...
Quote:

> Ok, I hate to be the wet blanket on all the flaming going on around here, but
> back to user community things...

     Might as well.

Quote:> I need some help with the second block of DIP switch settings on my Zip GS card
> v1.0.2.

> The only manual I have for the card is in Hyperstack form.  It says switches 1
> through 7 of the second block correspond to accelerating slots 1 - 7 and says
> to refer to printed docs regarding what hardware can be sped up and what can't.
>  And, of course, I have no such docs.

     Figures; the manual recommends that you consult the HyperStudio stack.

     The default SW2 settings (x) are ...

ON    x  *  x  x  x     x
OFF      x           x     x
      1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

     On our Zip-GSx, *Slot 2 has a RamFAST SCSI interface and SW2-2 is set ON.
Otherwise, the settings are the same as shown.

     Most Slot cards seem to work fine without needing to do a slow-down. For
example, we run a Focus Hard Card in Slot 7 and the RamFAST in Slot 2 (the Zip-GSx
is in Slot 3).  Your Stereo Card does not care; and, when the MockingBoard is
plugged into Slot 4, the setting remains at ON.

     Every once in a while, Slot 2 is used for testing telecom programs which need
to use Slot 2 firmware and the Slots setting goes to "Modem Port" (from "Your
Card" for the RamFAST). No change is made to the Zip-GSx settings-- SW2-2 remains
ON-- and everything seems to work fine.

     Whether or not a particular card can work without a slow-down is something
you can determine by experimentaton. This is easiest using the Zip CDA accessed
via the Desk Accessories menu (OpenApple-Control-Escape).  The CDA settings are
not permanent. Once you find the settings you like, you can turn OFF the computer
and set the switches on the board to match the settings that work best.

Rubywand

Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

Post by SirThom » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>     The default SW2 settings (x) are ...

>ON    x  *  x  x  x     x
>OFF      x           x     x
>      1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

>     On our Zip-GSx, *Slot 2 has a RamFAST SCSI interface and SW2-2 is set
>ON.
>Otherwise, the settings are the same as shown.

>     Most Slot cards seem to work fine without needing to do a slow-down. For
>example, we run a Focus Hard Card in Slot 7 and the RamFAST in Slot 2 (the
>Zip-GSx
>is in Slot 3).  Your Stereo Card does not care; and, when the MockingBoard is
>plugged into Slot 4, the setting remains at ON.

>     Every once in a while, Slot 2 is used for testing telecom programs which
>need
>to use Slot 2 firmware and the Slots setting goes to "Modem Port" (from "Your
>Card" for the RamFAST). No change is made to the Zip-GSx settings-- SW2-2
>remains
>ON-- and everything seems to work fine.

>     Whether or not a particular card can work without a slow-down is
>something
>you can determine by experimentaton. This is easiest using the Zip CDA
>accessed
>via the Desk Accessories menu (OpenApple-Control-Escape).  The CDA settings
>are
>not permanent. Once you find the settings you like, you can turn OFF the
>computer
>and set the switches on the board to match the settings that work best.

A point in the right direction and a little experimentation.  What else would
one expect for an Apple II hardware card circa 1988?  :)  Thanks!

------------------

"Is it not enough that you succeeded; must all others must fail as well?"

Please remove the "yadayada" before emailing, thanks!  :)

Post by Supertim » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>A point in the right direction and a little experimentation.  What else would
>one expect for an Apple II hardware card circa 1988?  :)  Thanks!

Hello.  Well, the design may have been circa 1988, but different Zip
cards have different processors, it seems.  What is the speed of
your Zip GS?  Any Zip GS can be easily sped of by adding a new
65C816 chip rated at 14Mhz (or 20Mhz) from WDC (or CMD) and
a new oscillator to clock the chip, but some Zip GS units come with
processors that can be easily overclocked by just changing the
oscillator.

Wayne Stewart pointed out that he sped up his Zip GS to super
fast speeds by overclocking his 8Mhz CPU.  8Mhz is significant
because WDC now makes two CPUs of the new design, an
8Mhz one and a 14Mhz one.  Interesting thing is that the 8Mhz
version can usually be overclocked.  The design of the new chip
is very good, much better than the older ones.

To see if you have the good chip, read the printing on the CPU.
If it is WDC65C816PL-xx (where XX is the Mhz) you have the older
design and are unlikely to overclock it much.  May be possible to
overclock a Mhz or two, but not like the new design.  The new
design is identified with an extra S in the name.
WDC65C816SPL-xx where xx is the Mhz rating (either 8 or 14).
S stands for Sanyo which WDC commisioned to redesign the
chip.

If you have a Sanyo chip, go ahead and put in a faster oscillator
to pump up the speed.  You could very likely get the full 15Mhz
with the 8Mhz rated chip as long as it is of the new (Sanyo re-)
design.

Help Needed with ZIP GS Switch 2 Settings

Post by SirThom » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello.  Well, the design may have been circa 1988, but different Zip
>cards have different processors, it seems.  What is the speed of
>your Zip GS?  Any Zip GS can be easily sped of by adding a new
>65C816 chip rated at 14Mhz (or 20Mhz) from WDC (or CMD) and
>a new oscillator to clock the chip, but some Zip GS units come with
>processors that can be easily overclocked by just changing the
>oscillator.

Wellllll, I happen to be in a unique, perhaps enviable, position.  I happen to
have two Zip GS v1.0.2 processor cards.  One is rated at 7mhz, 8K the other is
8mhz and 32K.  (Guess which one is in the system now.)

There are now two possible options open to me:

Option #1:  Sell the Zip GS, 7mhz, 8K card on eBay for $200 - $250.  (In case
you're oversees and salivating, that's in USD, not any other currency.  :)

Option #2:  Experiment with one card and if I*up, I still have one.  This
has a certain appeal to me.  If I am able to do this, I can STILL sell the
spare card for $200 - $250.

Hummm...  Decisions, decisions...  :)

------------------

"Is it not enough that you succeeded; must all others must fail as well?"

Please remove the "yadayada" before emailing, thanks!  :)

1. Zip GS DIP switch settings

I typed up this file about the Zip GS DIP switch settings to answer a user's
question.  I'm posting it in case anyone else needs this info.  If this is
already in the Zip FAQ, excellent!  If it's not, it should be.

Yeah, I noticed that too about the new manuals.  But, luckily I have an old
manual in my files!  :)

There are two DIP switches, numbered SW1 & SW2 (left to right when looking
at the left edge, the edge nearest the keyboard)  These are their functions
and their defaults.  Note that whether a switch is ON or OFF doesn't
necessarily correspond to whether that option is the default or not.

SW1/1: Cxxx/Dxxx cache disable.  Default is ON, option disabled.
SW1/2: Joystick Delay.  Default is OFF, option enabled.
SW1/3: AppleTalk Delay.  Default is ON, option disable.
SW1/4: Counter Delay.  Default is OFF, option enabled.
SW1/5: CPS (Control Panel Settings) Follow. Default is OFF, option enabled.
SW1/6: Disable.  Default is ON, option disabled.
SW1/7-8: Cache size.  Set as follows:   Cache size:    SW1/7:    SW1/8:
                                            8K          ON        ON
                                           16K          ON        OFF
                                           32K          OFF       ON
                                           64K          OFF       OFF

SW2/1-7:  Slot Delay.  ON means delay disabled, OFF means delay enabled.
          Only slots 2 & 6 default to OFF, delay enabled.  Switch 1
          corresponds to slot 1, switch 2 to slot 2, etc.
SW2/8: Speaker Delay.  Default is OFF, option enabled.

Whew!  :)

    _/\_/\__
   /    o  o\___
  //  \________/
   //     \             Wily

2. Who speaks for rs6000?

3. Help...need the dip switch settings for a C.Itoh m8510+

4. how to convert access Event Procedure to .NET

5. Help with Super Serial Card DIP Switch Settings Needed

6. BARR/AFP for AS/400 printing on IBM Laser Printer

7. Imagewriter 2 Help (Need switch settings)

8. Extreme Backup

9. Zip DIP switch settings.

10. GS Sauce Dip Switch Settings

11. need Imagewriter I dip switch settings for IIgs...

12. Need switch settings for ImageWriter LQ