Serious and annoying Apple ][ problems!

Post by rog.. » Tue, 14 Mar 1995 04:32:58

I have an original 1978 Apple II which seems to be breaking down on me.
I've almost given up trying to fix all its problems and I'm looking for
another, but this one was in good condition when I acquired it and I want
to keep it fully functional. The first problem is the keyboard. From time
to time it will*up and won't give me the corresponding characters to
the keys. If I type "HOME" it gives me "HKIA." I've "corrected" it numerous
times by taking the cover off and wiggling the keyboard circuit board.
Another problem is that at the AppleSoft prompt, when I type "PR#6" to
start the floppy drive, often the computer will beep and take me into
assembly. It's the most annoying problem with my II! Okay, the next one is
that sometimes when I use the diagnostics program "Apple-Cillin II" to test
the ROM chi, the results for the 5th chip sometimes say "EMPTY." These
erratic things make me uneasy. Another (yes, ANOTHER) problem is that the
color seems to be gone. Even though my II is connected to a perfectly good
C.ITOH Chroma Pro monitor and all the settings are correct I get shades of
gray instead of color. One last problem: Sometimes when I run disks that
have menus on them (or try to) the menu won't load up, the computer will
beep, and take me into assembly. When I insert the MECC disk "Music Theory"
I keep trying to run a certain program until it DOES run and then all menu
disks work fine until it happens again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix some or all of these problems?
I'm seriously considering stuffing the thing away in a closet and finding
another original II.
(Former has not been done; latter is in progress.)

:
: Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix some or all of these problems?
: I'm seriously considering stuffing the thing away in a closet and finding
: another original II.
: (Former has not been done; latter is in progress.)

Whew! Okay. First thing's first. If you've been wriggling things in and
out, you should: 1) Make sure you're "de-staticized." As you know, static
can really*chips if you touch them. SO, touch the power supply in
the case before you do anything else. 2) Check ALL of the connections. My
Apple IIGS refused to boot, and just when I was about to trash it, I
checked and found that my processor chip was loose! Just make sure any
boards you might have in there are tight and snug.
        As with the pr#6 problem, have you tried in#6? Oh, and if you're
ever caught in assembly... If you want to return to BASIC, hit control-c
and press return. If you want to boot slot six, press 6 and then hit
control-p followed by a return.

        Mark

Serious and annoying Apple ][ problems!

Post by Jason Kenner » Sun, 19 Mar 1995 14:26:10

I just got an original Apple 2 from a thrift shop. These puppies are the
original hacker computer, and I finally own one!!

Key keyboard decoder board seems to fall out on its own quite nicely.
Strap it on with something, or type light and hope it doesnt wiggle free
as often :)

On my motherboard, the place where the D8 rom goes >>>IS<<< empty maybe
yours is too? I've thought of swapping out the roms for some 2+ roms, but
then the thing says "apple two plus" when it boots instead. oh well

Im going to make a disk image of the old roms, and then swap to the new
ones, and compare them... maybe I can keep the apple 2 monitor and name
screen (the f8 rom) and use 2+ roms for all the rest (which would give me
applesoft basic, which is nice)

I just entered the monitor on my 2, and used it to list contents of d8xx,
twice. As suspected, they varied - meaning the 'read values' are noise
due to the lack of a chip plugged in!

Interestingly, my 2 appears to have keyboard buffering similar to that
found only (i though) in the two gs!!! I can type commands during disk
operations, etc etc etc... this is a pisser sometimes, as it is on the
gs, if programs dont clear the keyreg's by accessing $c010 after
accessing $c000 to read the key.

write back, Apple 2 Original users are hard to find!

Post by Randy Shackelfo » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 03:38:50

>On my motherboard, the place where the D8 rom goes >>>IS<<< empty maybe
>yours is too? I've thought of swapping out the roms for some 2+ roms, but
>then the thing says "apple two plus" when it boots instead. oh well

Yep D8 is empty in my ][ as well. I have Applesoft ROMs on a ROM card in slot
0. It only says APPLE ][ when you boot a ][ plus BTW. It wasn't until the //c
and enhanced //e that the screen told you what kind of II you have. And of
course a ][ without autostart ROM doesn't say anything.

Quote:>Im going to make a disk image of the old roms, and then swap to the new
>ones, and compare them... maybe I can keep the apple 2 monitor and name
>screen (the f8 rom) and use 2+ roms for all the rest (which would give me
>applesoft basic, which is nice)

If you put in a language card it has a copy of the autostart F8 ROM and
overrides what's on the logic board. You'll either want a ROM card or language
card since an integer-only 48K machine ain't good for much if you actually
use it.

Not to mention that you'll be missing out on the good features of the
autostart ROM like having IJKM work in escape mode.

Quote:>I just entered the monitor on my 2, and used it to list contents of d8xx,
>twice. As suspected, they varied - meaning the 'read values' are noise
>due to the lack of a chip plugged in!

Yep just like you list the $C000 address space of an empty slot
--
Randy Shackelford                                Huh huh, that was cool.

Post by Paul Creag » Tue, 21 Mar 1995 16:41:15

: I just got an original Apple 2 from a thrift shop. These puppies are the
: original hacker computer, and I finally own one!!

: Interestingly, my 2 appears to have keyboard buffering similar to that
: found only (i though) in the two gs!!! I can type commands during disk
: operations, etc etc etc...

The ][+ had a one byte buffer, so I can't imagine the ][ having more.
Are you saying you can type more than one character ahead?  You may have
a Keyboard Enhancer by Videx.  These were great!  One of the things it
provided was a bigger buffer.  (I forget how big)  I'm not even sure they
were made to work in a ][.

Another thing they did was give you auto-repeat and dual-speed repeat.
Holding any key would auto-repeat, without holding down REPT.  If you did
hold down REPT, they would go twice as fast!

    _/\_/\__
   /    o  o\___
  //  \________/
   //     \             Wily  bought a ][+ in '79
                              bought a ROM 3 GS in '89

1. Two annoying problems

I've got two minor problems w/ my GS.  I think I've seen these
discussed before, but can't find anything in the FAQ.

1.  My 3.5 Unidisk gets polled constantly.  Stops when the CPU is busy
with something else, but then restarts.  Is this related to the PC
Transporter it is hooked to?

2.  I had AppleTalk installed for a while, working with a Mac I had
borrowed.  I no longer need it, so turned off the AppleTalk choice in
slot 1.  Now I get an error message about the AppleTalk connection no
longer being available about halfway through bootup.

I have disabled every AppleTalk file I can find, but no joy.  What's
causing this?

B.

2. Accessing the PublicKeyToken from an assembly

3. Annoying sound problem on my PowerMac 8500

4. receive a monthly paycheck for surfing the web

5. Serious PROTERM problems

6. Win2000 Raid?

7. HELP!!: Serious Stuffit problem!

8. FS: Sun 3/140, 3/150, 3/60, 4/20

9. My Mac is smiling! (serious boot-up problems)

10. Serious problems with Font/DA Mover

11. Serious display problems with Jaguar on iBook

12. Help! Serious problem during 10.1.3 update...

13. Serious Hard Drive Problem