Help ID Card: Giantek Chinese ROM Card?

Post by Brian A. Davi » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:49:18

Hi;

I recently got a set of two Apple II expansion cards thatI would like
help identifying. The two cards are connected together with a four*
pin ribbon cable.

The first card has "Giantek Technology Corp." and "Super E-Card" printed
on the board. The card consists of five ROM sockets. Four of these
sockets are filled with EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-4. The ROM's
are also labeled in what I believe to be Chinese.  There is also an
empty ROM socket after ROM-4. There are two smaller chips with the
markings sanded off and a larger 20-pin chip hideen under a plastic
coating. This last chip has a paper label also written in Chinese.

The second card has six EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-6. The ROM's
are also labeled in Chinese. There are six smaller chips with the
markings sanded off. In addidion, there three other chips. One, which
really confused me, is a Z80A CPU chip. The board's configuration does
not resemble any type of CP/M card that I have seen. The second chip is
marked "HM6116P-2". The third chip is a socketed with "M5L8255AP-5" and
"84A609" written on it.

An Internet search reveled that Giantek Technology Corp. is now a large
manufacturer of LED display boards. Further searching revealed that in
1983 Giantek developed the first "Chinese Generation Interface Card" for
the Apple II. That might mean these cards are a Chinese screen character
generator.

Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to plug in these boards
until I can figure out exactly where they should be placed.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian A. Davis
Courseware Developer

Post by Linards Ticmani » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:18:23

> An Internet search reveled that Giantek Technology Corp. is now a large
> manufacturer of LED display boards. Further searching revealed that in
> 1983 Giantek developed the first "Chinese Generation Interface Card" for
> the Apple II. That might mean these cards are a Chinese screen character
> generator.

I don't know this beast, however lots of ROM surely sounds like a
Chinese character generator for sure. Maybe the Z80 is used to run an
oncard Input Method Editor, allowing you to type chinese from a standard
keyboard. The IME card would need lots of ROM too that contains the
possible spellings for a given sequence of phonetic input. Also IME
running in the Apple II main RAM would waste too much RAM by far.

Just my 2.

--

Linards Ticmanis

  The Master said, "The business of laying on the colors follows the
preparation of the plain ground."

Help ID Card: Giantek Chinese ROM Card?

Post by e-per.. » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 21:39:41

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:18:23 +0100, Linards Ticmanis

>I don't know this beast, however lots of ROM surely sounds like a
>Chinese character generator for sure. Maybe the Z80 is used to run an
>oncard Input Method Editor, allowing you to type chinese from a standard
>keyboard. The IME card would need lots of ROM too that contains the
>possible spellings for a given sequence of phonetic input. Also IME
>running in the Apple II main RAM would waste too much RAM by far.

>Just my 2.

In other words, a language card?

Help ID Card: Giantek Chinese ROM Card?

Post by BAD » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 01:35:46

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am going to try the cards in an Apple II+ over the weekend. If it
doesn't blow up, I'll let you know the results.

Brian

Post by Linards Ticmani » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:55:52

>>I don't know this beast, however lots of ROM surely sounds like a
>>Chinese character generator for sure. Maybe the Z80 is used to run an
>>oncard Input Method Editor, allowing you to type chinese from a standard
>>keyboard. The IME card would need lots of ROM too that contains the
>>possible spellings for a given sequence of phonetic input. Also IME
>>running in the Apple II main RAM would waste too much RAM by far.
> In other words, a language card?

Heh. Yes, but not what is usually called a "Language Card" in Apple II
speak. 'Cause that name means a 16K extension for the Apple II and II+,
originaly designed to be used to run *programming* languages (not
natural languages!) other than the built-in BASIC without wasting too
much of the standard 48K RAM.

--

Linards Ticmanis

  The Master said, "The business of laying on the colors follows the
preparation of the plain ground."

Help ID Card: Giantek Chinese ROM Card?

Post by Martin Landhag » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:00:43

I have not seen this card but it looks for me that the first one contain 8 K

ROM and second one 12K ROM (usually 2716 EPROMs), Z80A CPU
(usualy runs at arond 3MHz) and 2K RAM. So acually a complete
computer on a card. I guess the large amount of ROM is for storing
chineese characters.

If it works like an 80-column card, it should go into slot 3 in an Apple II+

Regards

Martin Landhage

> Hi;

> I recently got a set of two Apple II expansion cards thatI would like
> help identifying. The two cards are connected together with a four*
> pin ribbon cable.

> The first card has "Giantek Technology Corp." and "Super E-Card" printed
> on the board. The card consists of five ROM sockets. Four of these
> sockets are filled with EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-4. The ROM's
> are also labeled in what I believe to be Chinese.  There is also an
> empty ROM socket after ROM-4. There are two smaller chips with the
> markings sanded off and a larger 20-pin chip hideen under a plastic
> coating. This last chip has a paper label also written in Chinese.

> The second card has six EPROM chips labeled ROM-1 to ROM-6. The ROM's
> are also labeled in Chinese. There are six smaller chips with the
> markings sanded off. In addidion, there three other chips. One, which
> really confused me, is a Z80A CPU chip. The board's configuration does
> not resemble any type of CP/M card that I have seen. The second chip is
> marked "HM6116P-2". The third chip is a socketed with "M5L8255AP-5" and
> "84A609" written on it.

> An Internet search reveled that Giantek Technology Corp. is now a large
> manufacturer of LED display boards. Further searching revealed that in
> 1983 Giantek developed the first "Chinese Generation Interface Card" for
> the Apple II. That might mean these cards are a Chinese screen character
> generator.

> Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to plug in these boards
> until I can figure out exactly where they should be placed.

> Thanks,

> Brian

> --
> Brian A. Davis
> Courseware Developer
> Fredericton, NB, Canada

1. Octoram 8 meg card + Rom 1gs+many cards -trade for TW gs card

Soory to inconvenience folks but I forgot to give you my E-mail address-

I'm looking to trade all of these cards for a single Transwarp GS card with
the latest Roms or Zip GS .

OctoRam 8 meg ram card with 8 megs installed
Rom1 GS
IIe Z80 card
Zip Chip 2e (may be defective)
Imagewriter localtalk card
80 col IIe card
2x 16k pocket rockets
Micromodem 2e
Grappler printer card
3.5"floppy disk drive interface card
I/O controller card x2

Once again apologies for postoing twice!!!!

2. Hatch patterns

3. Need Help - ID This Card

4. Buy your equipment

5. Help w/ ID'ing RAMWorks card

6. Incomplete "figure" menubar

7. Two older Apple II cards - Please help ID them - Thanks!

8. FP2000 Publishing without server extensions

9. Need help ID'ing SS video card for IIgs

10. Help with ID and Info on this A2 Titan card

11. Help me ID this OLD card, please

12. Help me ID this card

13. Please help I.D. Cards