Shareware Solutions II

Post by DONALD CY L » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi!
        If anyone who has emailed Joe Kohn knows, he laments the fact
that he had been able to only attract about 1,000 subscribers to SSII,
despite many efforts to get more.  As a subscriber, I'd like to say that
SSII is the best investment I have ever made.  II Alive is ok, but SSII
provides a lot of good articles (especially on the Internet), good for a
modem less user like me.  SSII is also able to get you deals on software,
hardware, etc. that you wouldn't get from other magazines.  SSII can also
provide public domain software for a price, good for me again, but maybe
for others too.  I am telling you why I like SSII and maybe if you
haven't subscribed, you should consider it.

        Also, if you have or you haven't, maybe this would be a good
place to state what you like about SSII if you subscribe, or if you don't
subscribe, tell us why, it would interesting to hear.  If this sounds
familiar, it does from what GS+ did a while back, I am just borrowing the
idea.  Please don't email me, as school is now over for me and it is very
difficult for me to check my messages.  Please post them so all II users
can see.  Thanks a lot and Apple II Forever!

-Don

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Joe Ko » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

A week or so ago, Don Lee tried to generate some online discussion
here in csa2 about Shareware Solutions II. He posted:

 >        If anyone who has emailed Joe Kohn knows, he
 >laments the fact that he had been able to only attract
 >about 1,000 subscribers to SSII, despite many efforts to
 >get more.  As a subscriber, I'd like to say that SSII is
 >the best investment I have ever made.  II Alive is ok, but
 >SSII provides a lot of good articles (especially on the
 >Internet), good for a modem less user like me.  SSII is
 >also able to get you deals on software, hardware, etc. that
 >you wouldn't get from other magazines.  SSII can also
 >provide public domain software for a price, good for me
 >again, but maybe for others too.  I am telling you why I
 >like SSII and maybe if you haven't subscribed, you should
 >consider it.
 >
 >        Also, if you have or you haven't, maybe this would
 >be a good place to state what you like about SSII if you
 >subscribe, or if you don't subscribe, tell us why, it would
 >interesting to hear.  If this sounds familiar, it does from
 >what GS+ did a while back, I am just borrowing the idea.
 >Please don't email me, as school is now over for me and it
 >is very difficult for me to check my messages.  Please post
 >them so all II users can see.  Thanks a lot and Apple II
 >Forever!

As a Business Administration major, Don understands some of the many
problems those of us who create products for the Apple II face. One
of the major problems developers do encounter is that of advertising
and getting the word out to fellow Apple II owners.

To that end, Don posted the article asking for subscribers to tell the
world what they like (or hate) about Shareware Solutions II, and sure
enough, my absolute worst fear came true...not a single person on
csa2 responded. No one. Not a peep. Not even a flame.

From my perspective, in this day and age, "word of mouth advertising"
is the only effective way of making fellow Apple II owners aware of
new products. Quite frankly, I know that folks all over the world do
like Shareware Solutions II, and following are some of their
comments:

I consider the subscription fee to Shareware Solutions II to probably
be the best money I have ever spent on a subscription.

                               -- Pete Hann

Thank you, thank you, thank you for publishing Shareware Solutions
II. It's an answer for many issues: modems, games, Internet and lotsa
other stuff. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the issues and look
forward to the future issues.

                                -- Helen Youmans

Thank you again for putting together such a fine newsletter. Your
work is very much appreciated here in France, as you are the best
source of information for our beloved Apple IIs.

                                -- Philippe Manet

It is my feeling that Shareware Solutions II is one of the few
publications I receive that is worth far more than its subscription
price. I have learned so much from it. The Apple II community is
lucky to have you, Joe. Damn lucky. Thanks for all you do for us.

                                  -- Karen Birk

I want to thank you for your magazine which, with each issue,
restores my enthusiasm for the Apple II.

                                  -- George Krets

Received the April, 1995 edition of Shareware Solutions II the other
day, and read it from cover to cover. As usual, it was fantastic, and
I want to thank you for your continued committment to the Apple II.
Keep up the good work.

                                   -- Steve Sanders

You amaze me with the great job and uplifting tact you take with
Shareware Solutions II.

                                   -- Ron Louie

Since I am writing to renew my subscription, I may as well tell you
how much I enjoy your newsletter. It is outstanding! With people like
you and the remaining companies supporting the Apple II, it looks
like I'll be using my IIs well into the next century.

                                   -- Mark Cianfichi

After reading the numerous testimonials, I remained a bit skeptical.
I had trouble believing that a simple newsletter could really be that
good. I now stand convinced--it's great!  The information density is
incredible, and it's all presented very clearly.

                                    -- Dan Brown

Please allow me to say that Shareware Solutions II, a very
informative and problem solving magazine, ought to be placed in the
Galaxy of the Best Information-Dissemination publications for the
Apple II.

                                     -- Elias M. Koutoulakis

If I had been warned of A2-Central's demise in sufficient time, I
would have suggested that all subscribers who hadn't already done so
stampede toward Shareware Solutions II.

                                     -- Doug Cuff

Whenever I need some good news about the state of the Apple II
community, I can turn to an issue of Shareware Solutions II. Joe's
newsletter focuses on the positive and exciting developments that
continue to occur in the Apple II world, much as the
fondly-remembered Apple magazines of "the good old days" used to do.
If you fancy yourself a citizen of the virtual community of Appleton,
you should certainly be reading the hometown newspaper.

                                     -- Jim Merritt

You are doing a great job!

                                     -- Richard Foley

Joe Kohn
Publisher, Shareware Solutions II

         (       or point your favorite web browser to       )
         (    http://www.ericse.ohio-state.edu/SSII.html     )

                SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT THE APPLE II

Shareware Solutions II

Post by G.Sanch » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: A week or so ago, Don Lee tried to generate some online discussion
: here in csa2 about Shareware Solutions II. He posted:

[clip]

I thought that advertising in this subboard or any conference that was
NOT meant for the pourpose was ILLEGAL?!?!? If so what do I constantly
see adds for SSII all over this place and I mean adds like the one just
cliped. Don't these belong in the comp.sys.apple2.market? I see 'press
releases' from other companies such as SS VGA card and GS+ which IMHO is
ok but to see this? That is another story and franky its getting quite
old. Do correct me if I am wrong, and if I am wrong, then perhaps I will
start to post adds here for my friends computer business that he runs.
Boy would that be interesting!

Shareware Solutions II

Post by David Emps » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> A week or so ago, Don Lee tried to generate some online discussion
> here in csa2 about Shareware Solutions II. He posted:

>  >        If anyone who has emailed Joe Kohn knows, he
>  >laments the fact that he had been able to only attract
>  >about 1,000 subscribers to SSII, despite many efforts to
>  >get more.  [snip]

> To that end, Don posted the article asking for subscribers to tell the
> world what they like (or hate) about Shareware Solutions II, and sure
> enough, my absolute worst fear came true...not a single person on
> csa2 responded. No one. Not a peep. Not even a flame.

I never saw that post, so maybe it didn't go out?
--
David Empson

Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Joe Ko » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 >I thought that advertising in this subboard or any conference
 >that was NOT meant for the pourpose was ILLEGAL?!?!?

If trying to promote the Apple II is a crime, then I proudly and
defiantly plead: "Guilty as charged!"

I have been under the impression that the general consensus among
csa2'ers has been that since there are so few companies left that produce
any products for the Apple II, that those who do remain active in the
Apple II world were welcome to provide information in csa2 about their
products.

Take the Apple II knowledge test: Do you know that Shareware Solutions II
publishes a low-cost software solution NDA that allows IIGS owners to access
and retrieve AppleWorks Classic data base files from GS/OS?

Or, do you know that Shareware Solutions II has plans to bring back from
the dead the entire HyperCard IIGS based "Script-Central"
magazine-on-disk, and that all the back issues will be available to those
who missed them the first time around?

Joe Kohn
Publisher, Shareware Solutions II

         (       or point your favorite web browser to       )
         (    http://www.ericse.ohio-state.edu/SSII.html     )

Shareware Solutions II

Post by G.Sanch » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

:  >I thought that advertising in this subboard or any conference
:  >that was NOT meant for the pourpose was ILLEGAL?!?!?

: If trying to promote the Apple II is a crime, then I proudly and
: defiantly plead: "Guilty as charged!"

Well I just have to say one thing....THANK YOU for your support in the
Apple II:) Really, not being sarcastic or such.

Anyhow the reason for posting that post was rather simple. Every time I
read a post from you it seems that there is an add in every post and to me
IMHO it was getting a little old, however looking at it from your point
of view it makes perfect sence to get a little add every change one gets.
Its good for business and good to let those newbies or lerkers know what
is out there for the apple II. Anyhow time to logout. Again, thank you
for your support.

Gabe

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Joe Ko » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 >Anyhow the reason for posting that post was rather simple. Every time I
 >read a post from you it seems that there is an add in every post and to
 >me IMHO it was getting a little old

Believe me, Gabe, self-promotion is not one of my favorite activities. In
fact, I wish I didn't have to ever post another message urging folks to
subscribe to Shareware Solutions II.

If the world were perfect, the Apple II would still be made, John Sculley
would be a wino on the Bowery, and Shareware Solutions II would have
hundreds of thousands of subscribers. But...

I feel as if I have something of value to offer the Apple II community, and
until my readers start chatting up my efforts via word of mouth, I'll just
have to grit my teeth and do it myself. I truly wish it weren't necessary,
but it's either that, or a return to the career I gave up in order to work
with the Apple II.

Post by G.Sanch » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Believe me, Gabe, self-promotion is not one of my favorite activities. In
: fact, I wish I didn't have to ever post another message urging folks to
: subscribe to Shareware Solutions II.

Well, I think you are not alone but heck you gata do what you gata do:)
I have a few users on my BBS that subscribe to your mag and they are
pretty satisfied and I know when they like a magazine they will post it
on my bbs and beliave be they have excelent taste, you will soon se a
subscription from me, you got my vote and soon my $$ :)

Gabe

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Michael Hacke » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Take the Apple II knowledge test: Do you know that Shareware Solutions II
> publishes a low-cost software solution NDA that allows IIGS owners to access
> and retrieve AppleWorks Classic data base files from GS/OS?

Joe,

This is Contacts, right?  Does it let you edit _any_ AW DB file?  An AW
DB NDA is high on my to-do list, but there's obviously no point if
Contacts already does everything I want.  However, from your
descriptions, I got the impression that the NDA's layout was fixed,
which would kind of limit the layout of the files you worked on.

Also, just checking back to SSII itself, I see that it does not edit the
DB file directly, but rather a text file created by Contacts Mover.
This is certainly a workable solution, and if it could handle any DB
file, then I guess that would be fine, though not what I have in mind.

Do you mind clearing this up for me, Joe?  Thanks.

Some Assembly Required    Voice: (905) 687-1729      BBS: (905) 687-9987

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Joe Ko » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Mike Hackett asked about Contacts GS...

Mike - The Contacts GS NDA is a data base program contained within an
NDA. Although it is essentially for use as a name/address data base and
telephone dialer, the truth of the matter is that Contacts GS doesn't
really care what type of data is contained within each of the 10 fields.

Personally, I use Contacts GS in conjunction with my AppleWorks Classic
SSII subscriber data base, so I can easily look up subscriber info from
the Finder or any other GS/OS program.

The Contacts GS / AppleWorks Classic connection is indirect...

Contacts GS stores the data file it creates as an ASCII Text File. But,
fields are separated by Tabs, and records are separated by Carriage
Returns. That is the *exact* same format that AppleWorks uses when saving
or loading a text file as a data base (or vice versa).

What that means is that you can load in a Contacts GS data file by
choosing AW's option to open a new data base from an already existing
ASCII Text File. Or, you can create a Contacts GS data file by saving a
AW data base to disk by 'Printing it to disk as an ASCII Text File.'

Included as part of Contacts GS is TimeOut ContactsMover (with versions
for use with AW3, 4.x and 5.0) that completely automates the above process.

Joe Kohn

Contacts GS is a Commercial Software product available exclusively from

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Lori Bucevici » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> >Anyhow the reason for posting that post was rather simple. Every time I
> >read a post from you it seems that there is an add in every post and to
> >me IMHO it was getting a little old
>Believe me, Gabe, self-promotion is not one of my favorite activities. In
>fact, I wish I didn't have to ever post another message urging folks to
>subscribe to Shareware Solutions II.
>If the world were perfect, the Apple II would still be made, John Sculley
>would be a wino on the Bowery, and Shareware Solutions II would have
>hundreds of thousands of subscribers. But...
>I feel as if I have something of value to offer the Apple II community, and
>until my readers start chatting up my efforts via word of mouth, I'll just
>have to grit my teeth and do it myself. I truly wish it weren't necessary,
>but it's either that, or a return to the career I gave up in order to work
>with the Apple II.
>Joe Kohn
>Publisher, Shareware Solutions II

>         (       or point your favorite web browser to       )
>         (    http://www.ericse.ohio-state.edu/SSII.html     )

I would like to see people stop COMPLAINING about the people who are
STILL supporting the Apple II's!  There are few enough of them the way it
is, without running off even more of them.  It isn't like the Apple
newsgroups are so overrun with posts that we can't keep up with them, so
can't we just leave our supporters alone?

 *                                    *

 *                                    *

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Paul Schul » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: As a Business Administration major, Don understands some of the many
: problems those of us who create products for the Apple II face. One
: of the major problems developers do encounter is that of advertising
: and getting the word out to fellow Apple II owners.

: To that end, Don posted the article asking for subscribers to tell the
: world what they like (or hate) about Shareware Solutions II, and sure
: enough, my absolute worst fear came true...not a single person on
: csa2 responded. No one. Not a peep. Not even a flame.

Well, I didn't read this post until today but perhaps there was very
little response to it because this has been hashed out already (serveral
times in fact) over the last two years. Right here on csa2! Most of us
have already stated our opinions of SSII.

Just stating a possible reason for the lack of a response.

But, if its needed... I do subscribe to SSII even though I generally
prefer a more technical approach to my computing hobby. However, SSII
is well written, contains informative material, and even contains a few
surprises for even the most "csa2-savvy" Apple 2 user. I think SSII
covers a niche which GS+ does not cover and taken together SSII and GS+
cover the complete spectrum of Apple II users.

Paul Schultz
GS+ and SSII subscriber

--
===============================

===============================

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Tom O'Neil » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Or, do you know that Shareware Solutions II has plans to bring back from
>the dead the entire HyperCard IIGS based "Script-Central"
>magazine-on-disk, and that all the back issues will be available to those
>who missed them the first time around?

YAAAAAHHHHHH, waytago, Joe!!!! and thanks for one more effort to fiill in the
gaps...

Shareware Solutions II

Post by Michael Hacke » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Although it is essentially for use as a name/address data base and
> telephone dialer, the truth of the matter is that Contacts GS doesn't
> really care what type of data is contained within each of the 10 fields.

OK, that's pretty much what I thought.  (I'm refering to the whole
message, but didn't want to quote it all.)  It may be able to accept a
few different properly laid out databases, but it is not by any means
completely general.  You are limited to 10 fields, and several fields
will have very small entry boxes, further limiting what can be easily
fitted onto it.

I'm not knocking Contacts GS.  For its purpose, it appears quite good,
but it is not what I have in mind for a general use AW DB NDA.  Of
course, mine won't likely have any sort of dialing option, so it will
not be in direct competition with Contacts GS.

Post by Jonathan Levens » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> I feel as if I have something of value to offer the Apple II community, and
> until my readers start chatting up my efforts via word of mouth, I'll just
> have to grit my teeth and do it myself. I truly wish it weren't necessary,

If other apple //GS users are in somewhat similar situations that I am, then
all of they're GS using friends moved to other platforms within the last
3-5 years.  I honestly do not know ANYONE who uses a GS and happens to live
within walking/driving distance from me.  All of my friends have either
powermacs or pentiums, and they still scoff at me to this day about the
computer I use.. and love!

I can try to get my powermac friends to subscribe to SSII, but I honestly
don't think they will..

The few.. the proud..

JML