Harmonie Questions

Post by Joe Ko » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Two questions:

Question 1: Could someone who has purchased Harmonie in the past couple of
years do me a favor and check your Harmonie disk to see if there was a
StyleWriter driver included on the disk?

Question 2: Is there anyone out there who owns a StyleWriter I who would be
interested in beta-testing a StyleWriter I printer driver?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Kohn

Harmonie Questions

Post by Joe Koh » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I've heard back that no StyleWriter driver was ever included with Harmonie.

I guess that makes my second request even more critical. To repeat
it...is there anyone out there who has a StyleWriter I connected to a
IIGS? If so, how would you like to beta test a new StyleWriter I driver?

Joe Kohn
Shareware Solutions II
http://www.crl.com/~joko

Harmonie Questions

Post by Charles T. 'Dr. Tom' Turle » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

While I'm sure this little software archive:

ftp://128.255.21.234/apple2/upload/AOL/Arts.Graphics/StyleRighter.v1....

may not be up-to-par with your beta driver for the StyleWriter (intended?)
for some future update of the Harmonie drivers bundle, it may be of some
useful value for free needs of those Apple IIgs users with a StyleWriter I.

Following is the docs text from the archive:

Documentation forStyleRighter  v1.0

        A program to help right what's wrong with the StyleWriter.
                 by Jeff*son                 March 1993
                        This program is ReplyWaresee below

Spring 1992 and the Apple II world rejoiced as the long-awaited System 6.0
finally arrived for the GS.  One of the brightest hilights was the introduction
of the StyleWriter printer driver which opened the door for a marriage between
Apple's best computer (the GS!) and their very economical and high-quality inkjet
printer.

The honeymoon didn't last long.

Two big problems surfaced:  Text spacing and graphic printing.  Anyone who's
tried using multiple type styles on a line, or full justification, knows how
AppleWorks GS has become  WYSI-not-WYG.  The problem with letter spacing lies
deep within the StyleWriter driver, or even QuickDraw, and is beyond the likes of
me to repair.  But there is more hope for graphics.

The "problem" with StyleWriter graphics is that grey tones are simulated by using
vertical lines of varying widths.  That gives all the printouts a distracting
grooved appearance far inferior to that of the LaserWriter (intentional, I
wonder?)  But hidden within the current StyleWriter driver is the ability to do
much better graphic prints.

StyleRighter uses a vector-image technique to replace those ugly grooved pictures
with professional half-tone dithered graphics.  Not only are the grooves gone,
but StyleRighter knows that there's a lot less contrast on a printed page
compared to the screen, and lightens up your image accordingly.  Unfortunately
nothing's free, and in this case the price is speed.
Program Operation

First make certain that "StyleWriter" is selected in your "DC Printer" Control
Panel and then launch StyleRighter.

Select the graphic file you wish to print.  This can either be a raw screen
image (type $C1) or an Apple Preferred Format picture (type $C0, aux $0002).
You'll sometimes make a file selection, and have the computer come right back and
ask for another.  This means either you selected a packed graphic file of the
wrong type (e.g. obsolete "PaintWorks" packed files) or the file is longer than
32K.  Use something like Platimun Paint to load and save the picture in a useable
format, and/or trim it down (StyleRighter only prints the top half of pageDsized
graphics). You can load a 640-mode picture, but the program doesn't treat it in
any special way;  results are unpredictable.  Likewise, APF files with weird
sizes (other than one screen wide), will break my decoder.

StyleRighter will display your picture and covert it to greyscale.  I'm using
the same colorDtoDB/W remapping scheme as Platimun Paint and it works fairly
well, but I'm open to suggestions.  The chromaless image will then be vectorized,
the current scan line indicated on screen.  At this time, the program is turning
the raw pixel data into pen movement commands QuickDraw understands.

After the last line is converted, the program will redraw the screen using the
internal vector tables and dither patterns.  This will look very rough, but when
downloaded to the StyleWriter at five times the resolution, the results are quite
good.  At the bottom of the screen will be a message such as "48.6% memory used."
 This indicates how much of the available vector space the graphic required.
Cartoonish computer graphics will probably only take 10%, where as a
scanned/digitized image could easily top 90%.

The Print Setup and Job dialogs appear as your last chance to abort.  Click
"OK" to start printing, or "Cancel" to quit the program.  None of the options are
really useful; in fact, selecting 180 dpi guarantees failure, although I have no
idea why.  Just accept all the defaults.

Printing will begin . . . eventually.   My accellerated GS takes about five
minutes to print a page.  The program draws the image as fast as you saw when it
did it to the screen, but the resolution overhead slows the StyleWriter driver
way down. Under certain memory conditions, the Print Manager will decide to spool
the document to disk.  If you see your hard drive light start twinkling during
the print, go fix a sandwich, because the disk access slows things way down.
This is something I can't control.  (A scratch file of about 650K is created in
your System:Drivers folder, and then deleted.)

StyleRighter will return to your program launcher when printing is complete.

Although this program uses only standard Print Manager and QuickDraw routines,
it's proven successful only with a StyleWriter at 360 dpi.  If you have any
success with other printers, I'd like to know!
ReplyWare

This program is ReplyWare.  That means that if you have a StyleWriter and this
prgram is useful to you, tell me! How important would full-page printing be?  I
received a great suggestion to extract graphics from AWGS Page Layout documents
and print them in "vector rez".  Any other ideas?

                        America Online:         Colonel DJ
                        CompuServe:     73617,3005

Versions

v1.0    Winter 1993
        Now imports APF files up to 32K.
        Added greyscale pallette conversion and pattern indexing for
                "messy" pallettes.
        Improved "unbound" vector table speeds storage & playback
                while saving 80K RAM.
        Vector table expanded from 30,000 to 40,000 vectors.  More than
                enough for any one-screen printout.
        Fixed tool declaration bug that hung the program whenever
                pop-up menus were selected.

v0.1    Summer 1992
        First public release on America Online only

Legal Stuff:
"Apple IIGS" and "StyleWriter" are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
"Platinum Paint" is owned by Beagle Bros./Quality Computers.

?1987 TML Systems, Inc.  Certain portions of this software are copyrighted by TML
Systems, Inc.   Long live BASIC!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------end of doc file

Hope this proves to be of some useful value with your StyleWriter driver and
printing needs with the IIGS.

Cheers,
Tom

Harmonie Questions

Post by Willie Y » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: Question 2: Is there anyone out there who owns a StyleWriter I who would
: be interested in beta-testing a StyleWriter I printer driver?

        I'd like to see a StyleWriter driver for other then the original
StyleWriters, even if it is not the color ones |8)

Willie Yeo                              |  Apple Technology at Work !!!!!!

Teaching and Learning Support Services  |  PowerMac 7200/75 DOS Compatible
Queensland University of Technology     |  PowerBook 520  <-->  Newton 110
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA                     |  LaserWriter Plus - ColorSW 1500

                http://www.tals.dis.qut.edu.au/staff/willie

Harmonie Questions

Post by Joe Koh » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> I'd like to see a StyleWriter driver for other then the original
>> StyleWriters, even if it is not the color ones |8)

Well, as soon as I can get some confirmation that the StyleWriter I
driver that Burger Bill created works, and works better than Apple's
StyleWriter driver, then it will be added to the Harmonie package.

By the way, a few months ago, I said something here on csa2 about a possible
update to Harmonie that would support 600 x 300 dpi. That's not, as it
turns out, just a possibility. The version of Harmonie that will be
available from Shareware Solutions II will ship with the 600 x 300 dpi
driver. And, that version will ship as soon as the first order comes in.

That 600 x 300 DeskJet driver only prints in black and white at 600 x 300
dpi. Color printing is still limited to 300 dpi.

Joe Kohn
Shareware Solutions II
http://www.crl.com/~joko

Harmonie Questions

Post by Joe Koh » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Just one last thing to anyone who wants to test the StyleWriter driver...

My ISP's mail server is getting flakier by the minute, so if you respond
to me by pressing r in your newsreader, chances are the mail will bounce
and I'll never see it. But, mail sent from a regular mail program seems

TIA

Joe

Harmonie Questions

Post by Dave Mill » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> : Question 2: Is there anyone out there who owns a StyleWriter I who would
> : be interested in beta-testing a StyleWriter I printer driver?

>         I'd like to see a StyleWriter driver for other then the original
> StyleWriters, even if it is not the color ones |8)

Ditto.  I have a StyleWriter 1500 and I'd love to be able to use it on my GS. :)
--

Harmonie Questions

Post by Joe Koh » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

The first report came back from someone testing the new StyleWriter Driver:

 >Got the Beta Stylewriter driver to wrok todya (need new ink
 >cartridge) Using both Hermes, Teach, and AW-GS, the problems with
 >the old Apple driver seem to be gone- it justifies correctly, allows
 >you to change fonts/style mid-line without screwing up, etc. I tried
 >all my wierd fonts (Dragonwick, Pignose, London, etc) and they seem
 >to work just fine. Greyscale graphics seem much improved- I have
 >mostly tried printing through SuperConvert's "enhanced" printing. I
 >am having trouble with it "squishing" Super-hires graphics on print-
 >I think I am just not setting something correctly. Do you have any
 >suggestions on this? I will send you some hard copies of the
 >printouts if you would like- and let me know of anything else you
 >would like tested on it- this is a great driver and good addition to
 >harmonie :)

From the description above, I'd say that things are looking good. I sent
back some hints on how to print graphic screens (choosing "Normal" as
opposed to "Condensed" in Page Setup) and suspect that will fix the problem
of squished graphics.

In the meanwhile, I'm still eagerly awaiting a few more reports from people
testing the new StyleWriter driver. But, from that first report, I'm
encouraged that owners of StyleWriter I printers will finally be able to
achieve decent results when printing from GS/OS.

Joe Kohn
Shareware Solutions II
http://www.crl.com/~joko

Harmonie Questions

Post by Dark_Du » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Question 1: Could someone who has purchased Harmonie in the past couple of
>years do me a favor and check your Harmonie disk to see if there was a
>StyleWriter driver included on the disk?

I have had several versions, but I have never seen the SW driver.
However, I was being told by Vitesse (about 2 years ago I think) that they
(Bill Heineman?) had been working on the driver. Due to the fact that Apple
didn't supply any technical information about the printing process, they
couldn't finish the driver because of some bugs/ problems.

Apple's driver seems to contain a bug, but I am not sure what kind of bug it
is. I don't have a SW, so I can't confirm it either.

--

               -= Dark Dude =-

1. AWGS WP & Harmonie Question

OK folks, big question.

I'm using AppleWorks GS and Harmonie drivers for my DeskJet 500 printer.
When using the WP module of AWGS, no matter what Harmonie Aspect Ratio
setting I use, the ruler only extends to 8" on the right side of the screen.
I have found this to leave a rather large right margin on a printed page,
even when I set the right margin as close to 8" as I can.

Is there any way to see the 8.5" marker in the WP module window?  Use a
different Aspect Ratio?

Or should I just set the right margin as close to 8" as I can and use full
justification?

Dan

|  |_| |_|  |  |_| |_| |_|  |  Each generation has its own "classic rock".
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |  For some, it's The Beatles.  For others,
|___|___|___|___|___|___|___|  it's Led Zepplin.  I guess my generation's
  Apple IIgs   Ensoniq TS-10   classic rock is "Pac Man Fever".  Whee.

2. Problems unpacking Twilight

3. WTB Harmonie

4. 3inch Drive on my PC

5. Best parallel card for Harmonie?

6. Setting up 'client' on W2K home network

7. Harmonie

8. Populous / Powermonger

9. Harmonie Driver

10. Harmonie 2.1/3.0???

11. Harmonie and Independence

12. Harmonie, AWGS, Videx Uniprint problem