NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

Post by Alexander Siegfri » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

NINJAFORCE HOMEPAGE UPDATED NINJAFORCE HOMEPAGE UPDATED NINJAFORCE HOME

Yes, it's been updated. So what's new?

  o "The Revenge Of The Bobs" harddisk installer!
           (Also allows you to run the '92 demo on a ROM 03 GS!)

  o Much more info on Kaboom!, the upcoming game!
  o A refurbished version of the "Gimme A Clue" graphics collection!
  o A bug fixed version of Asimov!

As usual, point your web browsers to the following www address:

              >> http://www.igd.fhg.de/~girschik/nfc/ <<

NINJAFORCE HOMEPAGE UPDATED NINJAFORCE HOMEPAGE UPDATED NINJAFORCE HOME

NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

Post by rubyw.. » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

     The Tiger Learning Computer is, at last, on the prowl looking to win over a whole new generation to Apple II computing.

     Tiger LC comes in an attractive flat-charcoal case with a footprint about equal to a standard sheet of paper (roughly 11.4" wide x 8.2" deep).  Height, including the fold-up cover is around 2"; so, it's a bit thinner than the IIc. The fold-up cover is about .75" thick and has compartments for storing six plug-in ROM or RAM cartridges.

     The Tiger LC keyboard occupies, roughly, the upper 2-3rds of the case. (The lower 3rd is blank except for a small slotted opening for the speaker and a black & white "Apple Technology" sticker.)  The KB features flat, short-throw light-grey keys.
     Layout is similar to the IIe and later Apple II's with a few notable exceptions. Tiger has an extra (top) row of Function keys (F1-F11).  The Open-Apple and Closed-Apple (with outline and solid Apple symbols) are on either side of the Space bar and, besides the symbols, are labeled "Player 1" and "Player 2". The four arrow keys are in an inverted "T" formation at the lower right. There is no separate numeric keypad.

     All switches, jacks, ... are on the back. These include

ON/OFF switch
round mini-socket for Mouse  (not IIgs-mouse compatible)
9-pin female joystick socket
9-pin male serial I/O
25-pin female parallel I/O for printer
headphone sound output jack
RCA composite video out
RCA sound out
power supply jack.

     The Tiger package includes the computer, a power supply module, a two-button mouse, dual video/sound (yellow/white) RCA-type cable, a 20-page Instruction Manual, and six cartridges with info sheets. (This is what came in 'the box' as it might be pulled from a shelf in a store.)

     Tiger cartridges are very compact. Each measures 2" x 2" x about .25". The plug, covered by a sliding cover, adds an extra quarter inch or so to one edge. Some cartridges have a small slide switch to allow selecting one of two products available on the cartridge. Each cartridge has a colorful label which includes official product logos, etc..

     The six cartridges packaged with the computer are, chiefly, educational titles. Six are from MECC and two are from the StickyBear series. These are on four dual-title cartridges.

     One, non-switchable, cartridge has Appleworks 4.3 from SQC.

     The remaining cartridge is a 256-block RAM disk complete with mini-battery to assure data retention. (The battery is supposed to last a year or so; it can be replaced.)  A RAM disk can be formatted for ProDOS or DOS 3.3.

     You can plug in up to two cartridges at once: one into a compartment on the Right side of the computer and one into a compartment on the Left. Cartridges go all the way in-- i.e. they do not stick out.

     Tiger cartridges are treated as ROM disks or RAM disks. The Right cartridge is a disk at Slot 6, Drive 1. The Left cartridge is a disk at Slot 6, Drive 2. The size of a ROM disk varies depending upon material. Evidently, ROM and RAM disks can be pretty large; the single Appleworks 4.3 "disk" is 936 blocks in size.

     Tiger is designed to connect to a standard composite video monitor, a TV with monitor input, or to a VCR's video input. If the monitor, VCR, etc. has a Sound input, Tiger's Sound cable can be plugged in to get better quality sound.

     When Tiger is switched ON you hear a BEEP and get a brief glance of an Apple IIe ProDOS boot screen. This is quickly replaced by a hires logo + music which is followed by display of a hires desktop and a voice saying "Hello; please choose an activity". (By the way, the disk which is booted upon power-up is an internal ProDOS ROM disk named "LTWIN".)

     From the desktop, your main choices are to Run a program from any plugged-in disks-- you can, also, view disk contents and copy files to a RAM disk--  Printer, Com, BASIC, and Help. Selections are made via the mouse.

    Com lets you set the Com port's speed (19200 baud is max) as well as parity/stop bits/etc.. BASIC allows programming in Applesoft.

     Based upon timings of a FOR-NEXT loop, Tiger's 65C02 runs at 1MHz.

     At present, the only built-in and supported I/O to the 'outside world' is via the serial Com port. (A cable and software are available as a separate package.)  Via Com, a user could send and receive files via modem to/from a BBS. With a NULL modem connector, a user could send/receive files to/from another Apple II. The manual mentions a browser, email, and "internet software"; so, some of the com applications wares may be fairly sophisticated.

     Tiger's Instruction Manual lists 6 display modes: Low res, Hi res, Double Hi-res, 40-col TEXT, and 80-col TEXT _plus_ something called "Non-Apple Mode" which appears to be, basically, true 16-color Hi-res.

     The manual includes three pages on programming-- the user learns how to write a "Hello World"-style program and Save it. Beyond this, you a directed to a library to get books on Apple II BASIC.

     The manual does not list soft switches, hardware addresses, etc.. Since Tiger LC is, at least, as complex a machine as the IIe, quite a lot is being left "for the user to discover". Perhaps, an additional manual or two will be released.

     Retail price for the new Tiger LC is $149.99.

Rubywand

NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

Post by Brian Hamma » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

 Rubywand spewed forth:

 RC|      The Tiger Learning Computer is, at last, on the prowl looking
   | to win over a whole new generation to Apple II computing.

Have seen the JCP catalog picture from Grind...  smooth!

   | notable exceptions. Tiger has an extra (top) row of Function keys
   | (F1-F11).  The Open-Apple and Closed-Apple (with outline and solid

Hmmm, function keys?  Specialty software at work.

 RC|      The remaining cartridge is a 256-block RAM disk complete with

Heh heh, 128k RAM hmmmm?

   | II. The manual mentions a browser, email, and "internet software";
   | so, some of the com applications wares may be fairly sophisticated.

Hey, I wonder if that browser and "internet software" (a.k.a. term
program?) would run, if someone would port it out of cartridge medium,
on an enhanced //e?  Now THAT would make my day.

                                                        << mushroom >>

 * 2qwk! 2.03 * UPLOAD:  Taking out the garbage to get more online time.
--                                                                   --

NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

Post by rubyw.. » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Rubywand spewed forth:

>Have seen the JCP catalog picture from Grind...  smooth!

     Tiger LC looks a lot like an HP laptop-- pretty spiffy. Of course, Tiger's fold-up lid does not have a video screen; but, it is detatchable. Perhaps, later ...

Quote:>.... Tiger has an extra (top) row of Function keys
>   | (F1-F11).  The Open-Apple and Closed-Apple (with outline and solid

>Hmmm, function keys?  Specialty software at work.

     Yes. Most of the new features seem to be 'fitted in' as substitutes for old, little-used IIe functions. The 16-color hi-res "Non-Apple" display mode is especially interesting. It seems to have been swapped-in for double-lo-res.

     It will be much easier to try out Tiger capabilities once the Com package arrives and programs can be moved-in via NULL modem. (If it does not get here soon, I'll just key-in an I/O program which uses the Game port.)

Quote:>....

> The manual mentions a browser, email, and "internet software";
>   | so, some of the com applications wares may be fairly sophisticated.

>Hey, I wonder if that browser and "internet software" (a.k.a. term
>program?) would run, if someone would port it out of cartridge medium,
>on an enhanced //e?  Now THAT would make my day.

     Using the COM stuff, a Tiger LC owner should have no difficulty transferring files to/from his or her IIe, IIc, or IIgs. An alternative is adding a Tiger-compatible socket. You could quickly move stuff back an forth using Tiger's 128k RAM disk cartridge. Based upon the size of the Appleworks ROM disk, Tiger RAM disks could be 800k.

     In fact, Tiger is a hardware projects gold mine-- e.g. interfaces for flat screen, 8MB RAM-"Hard Disk", accelerator mods, MockingBoard-compatible sound module, ... . The same goes for software. My guess is that the target age 5-17 kiddie group will have to battle veteran II users to get one of the first batch of Tiger LC's.

Rubywand

Post by Louis Schulm » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>     The Tiger Learning Computer is, at last, on the prowl looking to win over a whole new generation to Apple II computing.

>     Retail price for the new Tiger LC is $149.99.

>Rubywand

Well, this means that with a short 4-year hiatus, the Apple II will have been
in production twenty years!  Those guys must have done something right.

Louis

NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage Updated!

Post by Shigeru Hiko » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >     The Tiger Learning Computer is, at last, on the prowl looking to

win over a whole new generation to Apple II computing.

Quote:

> >     Retail price for the new Tiger LC is $149.99.

Please let me know when it is start to be sold.  I prefer direct
connection of  5.25 Disk Drive to enable old games.

Shigeru

Post by Laer Haid » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> >     The Tiger Learning Computer is, at last, on the prowl looking to
>win over a whole new generation to Apple II computing.

>> >     Retail price for the new Tiger LC is $149.99.

>Please let me know when it is start to be sold.  I prefer direct
>connection of  5.25 Disk Drive to enable old games.

The JC Penney catalog has it, but you have to pay an extra $50 for the
privileged of buying through them.  It's listed price is $199.99.

1. NEW NEW NEW Ninjaforce Homepage!!!

Hello!

If you haven't figured it out yet, please visit our homepage at:

http://www.igd.fhg.de/~girschik/nfc

Read all about us, download lots of free GS software, take a
look at what we're working on, or just drop us a line.

Greetings,

Jesse Blue / Ninjaforce

2. ZoneEdit for DNS and Exchange Server?

3. NEW NEW NEW -- Ninjaforce Homepage

4. Fastest Filesystem I/O

5. NEW NEW NEW Deskplay by Ninjaforce

6. IBM Manual

7. NEW NEW NEW Anime by Ninjaforce

8. byte-compile-file hppa9.0

9. NEW NEW NEW: Gimme A Clue by Ninjaforce

10. NEW! Ninjaforce MEGADEMO HD Installer NEW!

11. New New New: Asimov v1.2

12. Ninjaforce IIGS homepage updated

13. NEW NEW NEW! "nfc collection" by Ninjaforce