What is this hardware?

Post by tws » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have a PEN that plugs into the GamePort of the Apple II

It shines a red light at whatever you point it at.

It returns an ON for PushButton2 when it is pointed at WHITE paper
It returns an OFF for PB2            when it is pointed at Writing on
paper.

Is this a bar code reader?  I know it is NOT a light pen, because it
supplies a light source, and it doesn't work properly as a light pen
(wont detect 'light' from the monitor)

What is this hardware?

Post by Charles Stephen » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 TS> I have a PEN that plugs into the GamePort of the Apple II It
 TS> shines a red light at whatever you point it at.

 TS> It returns an ON for PushButton2 when it is pointed at WHITE
 TS> paper It returns an OFF for PB2 when it is pointed at Writing on
 TS> paper.

 TS> Is this a bar code reader?  I know it is NOT a light pen, because
 TS> it supplies a light source, and it doesn't work properly as a
 TS> light pen (wont detect 'light' from the monitor)

Most likely.  Try to take samples in a loop and run it across a UPC
bar code.

cfs
--
Charles F. Stephens               = cfs  AT  eng.sun.com
Software Psychic and Illuminary   =

What is this hardware?

Post by Willie Ye » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a PEN that plugs into the GamePort of the Apple II

> It shines a red light at whatever you point it at.

> It returns an ON for PushButton2 when it is pointed at WHITE paper
> It returns an OFF for PB2            when it is pointed at Writing on
> paper.

> Is this a bar code reader?  I know it is NOT a light pen, because it
> supplies a light source, and it doesn't work properly as a light pen
> (wont detect 'light' from the monitor)

    You may have a bar code reader. I have one by Barwand, Inc (I think
that's the company name). Never did used it much, knows it goes into the
game port, doesn't work well on an Apple IIgs though.

What is this hardware?

Post by Gabriel Morale » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I have a PEN that plugs into the GamePort of the Apple II

> It shines a red light at whatever you point it at.

> It returns an ON for PushButton2 when it is pointed at WHITE paper
> It returns an OFF for PB2            when it is pointed at Writing on
> paper.

> Is this a bar code reader?  I know it is NOT a light pen, because it
> supplies a light source, and it doesn't work properly as a light pen
> (wont detect 'light' from the monitor)

>     You may have a bar code reader. I have one by Barwand, Inc (I think
> that's the company name). Never did used it much, knows it goes into the
> game port, doesn't work well on an Apple IIgs though.

Yes, it sounds very much like a Bar Code reader. I know a librarian who uses a
Bar Code reader (although not a pen-like one) with an Apple //GS.

1. Hardware, hardware, hardware!

I have the following for sale:

1 AE TransWarp GS  8mhz 32k cache - newest ROMs - $150
1 AE TransWarp GS  7mhz 16k cache - older ROMs w/ 2B DMA upgrade -  $130

Why? Because they won't work with my Rev. B RamFAST with 3.0 ROMs. They
SHOULD work with a Rev. C or D card.

I'm looking to buy:

AE GS-RAM Ultra RAM Card. It's old and used 256 x 4 chips. I'd like to find
one with anywhere from 0-2 megs on it so I can transplant my 256 x 4's from
my RamPak to it.

Zip GS 8 mhz / 32k cache or better. CVTech and many others say that the Zip
will work with my RamFAST. I HOPE so...

If you can think of any creative trades I might be willing, ie, my //c for a
fast Zip GS or loaded GS-RAM Ultra... ;)

PLEASE mail me if you're interested... it's a pain for me to post on
USENET...
Jason Jeffries

2. hashing function for strings

3. I am trying to order Apple II startup disk for my IIc. Am kid, will pay.

4. block binary files in emails

5. What am I missing with Ultima3

6. Printer icon in WIN95 Systray disappeared

7. I am serious.

8. ANN: Batty Breakout Game Reviewed!

9. Here I am!

10. Am looking for the following in .DSK format (or .NIB *grin*)

11. Bids for Apple GS misc - Mon am update

12. Art and all that Jazz: i am bimonthly lazy, so I believe you

13. I am serious.