Need a Font Editor that can ...

Post by Peter Fran » Sat, 21 Aug 1993 01:11:02

Font Factory will edit any font, but you will have to modify each character
separately, it won't shorten or narrow a whole set globaly. Also don't mess
with Shastan 8, or at least you can't mess with it because it resides in
ROM
--

The Babbage Patch BBS  (319) 391-3301  24 Hours, V.32 9600 baud

Need a Font Editor that can ...

Post by Glenn W. Hoffm » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 02:09:32

I posted a while ago asking for a font editor that can change the size of the characters of a font in a single operation. Basically I want to remove several
pixel rows of white space in the Geneva font so I can get more lines on-screen.

The responses I got indicated that Font Factory might do it, but then I got:

Quote:> Font Factory will edit any font, but you will have to modify each character
> separately, it won't shorten or narrow a whole set globaly.

Since I don't have any other use for a font editor, I am not hurrying to
buy Font Factory since it cannot do this special operation.

Another try at a solution: would it be reasonably easy to write a special
purpose program that would read a font file, trim the size of each character,
update any header values, and write out a new font file?  How much work
is it to manipulate the contents of a font file? Not looking for
anything fancy. Probably would just use the program in source form and
edit it for any change in the application of the program.

Thanks to all who have sent responses.

 - Glenn

1. Need a Font Editor that can ...

For the DB module of AWGS, I want a font that will give me the maximum
number of lines per screen and the maximum number of characters per
line. Shaston does one, and Geneva the other.

I would like to create a font that has minimal white space above and
below the letters like Shaston, but thin strokes and proportional
spacing like Geneva.

I think I could do this easily if there is a font editor that can take
an existing font and change its ascender and decender maximum size for
all characters in one operation. Geneva looks like it would serve as
the base for the operation because it has unused pixels above each
character - I just want to remove a row or two of pixels from the top
and bottom of all letters. I hope I don't have to edit each character
individually, or create a font from scratch.

Is there a font editor that can do this modification?

Thanks.

Glenn

2. Where's ange-ftp?

3. ProDOS manual needed -- editor needed?

4. Good fax-solution for Domino on NT-Server?

5. Big Fonts!!!... I need big fonts!!!

6. (swap, sell, whatever) 2.5 IDE

7. WTB GS Font Editor

8. Total Control X-Box